HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Cool video. Here's a still from it.

I wish it was longer, showed more of the library and city. Speaking of the library, it would be cool to have a time lapse of the color changes through the night.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
Will the lights be synchronized with the new bridge?
The controller for the bridge lighting is located inside the library, so they certainly can be synchronized.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 11:12 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Do you have a photo you can share of One American Center lit up? I'm drawing a blank on how it used to look. Wasn't it just white lights at each level?
And as if someone was monitoring this forum, ironically the lights are suddenly back on. Took this pic lastnight. I know this is off topic from the library but seeing as how we got on the topic of lighting because of the library, I figured i'd post this here.
Probably just coincidence but it has been a very long time since it's been lit so thought it was funny that we had just talked about it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 11:25 PM
Meh

One American Center is still king in my book. It was such a good design for the tallest building and its placement in downtown was perfect. It's still one of my favorite buildings in Austin even with all the new ones. Plus, it was Austin's first 400 footer over 30 years ago.

I noticed it was lit the other night from one of the views in our neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 12:52 AM
World Traveler

If someone is monitoring this forum from various buildings and/or proposals....why the heck don't you listen to us more often?!

People don't realize or appreciate the fact that we're clearly all experts in these matters. Listen up and execute our ideas, please.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
One American Center is still king in my book. It was such a good design for the tallest building and its placement in downtown was perfect. It's still one of my favorite buildings in Austin even with all the new ones. Plus, it was Austin's first 400 footer over 30 years ago.

I noticed it was lit the other night from one of the views in our neighborhood.
In the spirit of drifting to off topic land, I watched this being built from the ground up. It was a big deal during the 80s boom because of its height and design. It was so well respected that it was featured in a John Travolta movie 'Michael' based in Chicago and passed for part of the Chicago skyline in that movie as well as 6th Street. It was one of the first really well lit up building downtown with the exception of the Capitol. Lighting up the library is a welcome trend that I hope continues with all the new construction downtown. BTW, the blue lights on One Congress, and the round lights on 100 Congress were pretty awesome back then, but what we are seeing now blows them out of the water.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I wish it was longer, showed more of the library and city. Speaking of the library, it would be cool to have a time lapse of the color changes through the night.
That drone operator got some good close ups. wonder if he launched from right at the library? I launch from butler park and having to cross the river for my shots, i wouldnt get that close.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
That drone operator got some good close ups. wonder if he launched from right at the library? I launch from butler park and having to cross the river for my shots, i wouldnt get that close.
The operator launched right next to the library. Got very close for sure, a few people waved back from the library.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 2:32 AM

Quote:
If you want to shoot from the same side of the river as Downtown, a good spot to launch near the library is Sand Beach Park. It's wide open and you can get close to the library, Google Tower and all the other 2nd Street new construction without interfering with anyone. Another good spot to launch from is Palm Park. It's right next to the Fairmont and has a nice open space. You can get close to a lot of buildings from there. Palm Park is popular with the homeless, however, and they may come up to you to ask for money. Both parks open at 5AM and close at 10PM.

Sand Beach Park: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-97.7547424

Palm Park: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Si...!4d-97.7371485

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
If you want to shoot from the same side of the river as Downtown, a good spot to launch near the library is Sand Beach Park. It's wide open and you can get close to the library, Google Tower and all the other 2nd Street new construction without interfering with anyone. Another good spot to launch from is Palm Park. It's right next to the Fairmont and has a nice open space. You can get close to a lot of buildings from there. Palm Park is popular with the homeless, however, and they may come up to you to ask for money. Both parks open at 5AM and close at 10PM.

Sand Beach Park: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-97.7547424

Palm Park: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Si...!4d-97.7371485
Thanks I was wondering about that. Know of any spots from the north side of down town. Seen some people launch from the Hope gallery but there is alot of interference there.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks I was wondering about that. Know of any spots from the north side of down town. Seen some people launch from the Hope gallery but there is alot of interference there.
I just use Google maps to find a grassy park, pocket park or greenbelt near where I want to fly. As you know, too much nearby metal (cars, rebar in the cement sidewalk, drainage under the asphalt, cell towers, overhead power lines, etc.) cause magnetic interference with your GPS and parks usually have none of this. There are pocket parks and green spaces all over this city so it's pretty easy to find someplace to launch near where you want to be - just take a stroll through Google.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 5:40 PM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 11:29 PM
Meh

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 1:13 AM
World Traveler

That's a great deck. Great views of the city.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:46 PM

I was on a walk last night and the colors kept changing very frequently. They even were lit the same colors as the bridge at moments.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:22 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy View Post
I was on a walk last night and the colors kept changing very frequently. They even were lit the same colors as the bridge at moments.

Nice! They must have been testing the lighting out the nights that I saw it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:22 PM

tie_guy

This library is impressive to look at, I wonder if it will make up for the huge construction cost and time though. I do wish more buildings in Austin had the ability to put on a light show like the library and Fairmont can.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 10:09 PM

After being open one day the library gets tagged with a lot of offensive graffiti.

http://kxan.com/2017/10/29/new-austi...d-by-graffiti/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
After being open one day the library gets tagged with a lot of offensive graffiti.

http://kxan.com/2017/10/29/new-austi...d-by-graffiti/
That's terrible...what's with some people?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 10:39 PM

Off with their hands!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin