The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
These are perfectly fine floorplans.
I mean, the owners of that 3 bedroom will be super healthy given the quarter mile walk from the living room to the nearest bathroom.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

What a bunch of nonsense.

These are perfectly fine floorplans.
I don't know (referring to the 2 bedroom + den floorplan) putting a stove top at the only entry point to the kitchen so that someone cooking is in the way of anyone trying to walk into the kitchen seems like a pretty boneheaded design choice to me. Especially when a large portion of the kitchen space is void of purpose.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 11:44 AM

Comparing that kitchen to my narrow galley kitchen, there’s plenty of space at the stove for someone to pass.
And the upper left corner by the windows is the breakfast nook. The plan should show a small table there. It’s where I’d sit with my tea and laptop in the morning and start the day.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 1:00 PM
Plenary pleasures.

So one thing to remember is that all of the interior layouts/floor plans on Vista's website are shown to provide ideas, and were designed by Hirsch Bedner Associates interiors, really solely as marketing tools. Someone who has enough money to buy one of these units is 100% of the time, hiring their own interior architect/designer to customize the layout to fit their needs....which will also probably include much larger kitchens.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 1:22 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
So one thing to remember is that all of the interior layouts/floor plans on Vista's website are shown to provide ideas, and were designed by Hirsch Bedner Associates interiors, really solely as marketing tools. Someone who has enough money to buy one of these units is 100% of the time, hiring their own interior architect/designer to customize the layout to fit their needs....which will also probably include much larger kitchens.
Right but there are obviously things you can’t change, given the location of ductwork, Plumbing stacks, etc

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 1:41 PM
Plenary pleasures.

You can still change a lot in terms of plan layout and finishes not related to MEP, that was my original point. And even then, ductwork can also be relocated as needed, it would just be more costly.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
You can still change a lot in terms of plan layout and finishes not related to MEP, that was my original point. And even then, ductwork can also be relocated as needed, it would just be more costly.
From that ~3500 sqft layout which probably lists for $5m, only has 3 bedrooms and all three bedrooms combine to have 4 windows! What a disaster! Don't even get me started on all that wasted hallway space which cannot be redesigned because of the supporting concrete. I suppose you could move the dining room next to the kitchen but then you have two tv rooms right next to each other. I'd probably put a wall in and make a study in one of those corners.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeChicagoGreatAgai View Post
From that ~3500 sqft layout which probably lists for $5m, only has 3 bedrooms and all three bedrooms combine to have 4 windows! What a disaster! Don't even get me started on all that wasted hallway space which cannot be redesigned because of the supporting concrete. I suppose you could move the dining room next to the kitchen but then you have two tv rooms right next to each other. I'd probably put a wall in and make a study in one of those corners.
Why would you have two “TV rooms” (what’s a TV room)? Put a TV in one and make that a family room, and have the other be a proper sitting room without a TV.

And I would not put the dining room next to the kitchen, because then you have all of your guests watching you as you put all of the frantic final touches on dinner. Kitchens are not a “public space” in a home. They are “backstage”, so to speak.

No, that plan is perfectly separated - the open kitchen and family chill out space (with a TV) at the bottom, and the more formal sitting area and dining area for guests at the opposite end.

You might disagree with me, but people with $5m to spend on an apartment do not.

The only shame is the lack of a fireplace - why don’t they work those into the building structure anymore?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:47 PM
Development Shill

You can easily get a fireplace installed into a building to be fair. My parents got one installed in their place in the Legacy

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Why would you have two “TV rooms” (what’s a TV room)? Put a TV in one and make that a family room, and have the other be a proper sitting room without a TV.

And I would not put the dining room next to the kitchen, because then you have all of your guests watching you as you put all of the frantic final touches on dinner. Kitchens are not a “public space” in a home. They are “backstage”, so to speak.

No, that plan is perfectly separated - the open kitchen and family chill out space (with a TV) at the bottom, and the more formal sitting area and dining area for guests at the opposite end.

You might disagree with me, but people with $5m to spend on an apartment do not.

The only shame is the lack of a fireplace - why don’t they work those into the building structure anymore?
I called them tv rooms because each one has a tv in it. Whether you call it a living room, family room or something else is immaterial. Also, it is unlikely someone buying a 3bd has a live in maid so I would guess that the majority would like the kitchen next to the dining room. If it were a 4bd, that would be a different story. No powder room 1/2 bath either for guests.

Everyone I've spoken to about vista has disliked the layouts and the lack of deeded parking. Really, who wants to wait 30 mins to valet your car twice a day?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 8:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 9:26 PM
1st Ward

These unit plans are all from the tallest stack, which requires the thick concrete shear walls which makes designing the units a small nightmare. What about higher up on the tall stack (where the shear wall is reduced in size), or the middle and short stacks? I'm assuming the design in those units flows more organically, with fewer obstructions?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
You can easily get a fireplace installed into a building to be fair. My parents got one installed in their place in the Legacy
A real one, or one of those gas ones that’s basically a kitchen range?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeChicagoGreatAgai View Post
Also, it is unlikely someone buying a 3bd has a live in maid so I would guess that the majority would like the kitchen next to the dining room.
I don’t have a live-in maid (or a cook, if that’s what you mean), and I don’t want an open kitchen next to my formal dining room. That would allow my guests to see the mess in the kitchen. Hence, the private zone and the “public” (for guests) zone.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 12:01 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
A real one, or one of those gas ones that’s basically a kitchen range?
It's a gas one, but it warmed up there place really nicely when I visited during Christmas. A real one wouldn't be possible due to fire codes in skyscrapers lol

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 4:18 AM

03/25/18

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
It's a gas one, but it warmed up there place really nicely when I visited during Christmas. A real one wouldn't be possible due to fire codes in skyscrapers lol
Old buildings have them (all those pre-war co-ops in NY).

I don’t see the point of gas fireplaces. You don’t get the smell.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 12:34 PM
BANNED

^^ Great shots BVic! That angle really highlights the frustums' dramatic pattern. Moreso than looking at the building from head-on. Our river canyon is truly second to none.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 1:26 PM

Will one of the tower cranes be coming down eventually?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Will one of the tower cranes be coming down eventually?
Well 'eventually' they'll both come down, but to answer your question, yes... The eastern most tower crane comes down when the shorter leg is down, and the western crane will rise inside the structure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture