HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 8:59 AM
Lurker

I work at Midvale Elementary now. The school opened its doors for the fist time this year. It's a beautiful building, but very unorthodox as far as elementary schools go. I'm not sure how I feel about it, because although it's beautiful, with nice facilities, navigation is a little inconvenient. The foyer is a nice space, but not a very welcoming space, since you face a wall upon first entering. Here are some photos:

http://www.njraarchitects.com/newsMidvale.html

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
I work at Midvale Elementary now. The school opened its doors for the fist time this year. It's a beautiful building, but very unorthodox as far as elementary schools go. I'm not sure how I feel about it, because although it's beautiful, with nice facilities, navigation is a little inconvenient. The foyer is a nice space, but not a very welcoming space, since you face a wall upon first entering. Here are some photos:

I am thrilled that the kids get a new building, but having worked at the Midvale Boys and Girls Club for 4 years (2003-2007), I am sad that the club is no longer in the school's backyard.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post

That is a gorgeous building...a lot better than the cookie cutter brick fortresses that a lot of us went to school in.

What are you doing there?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 1:13 PM

Wow, that's an elementary school? I was born in the wrong century!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 1:28 PM

We're use to seeing Deer Valley, Park City in SKI's top ten or say Alta/Snowbird in SKIING's top ten list each year. Now, The Canyon's cracks the top ten for the first time with SKI. I've always felt it was just a matter of a couple more seasons, as visitors discovered the huge improvements that Talisker has been making.

A Sneak Peak At Utah's New Top Ten Ranked Ski Resort.

Canyons ranked a top resort by Ski Magazine

The Park Record

http://www.parkrecord.com/summit_cou...y-ski-magazine

According to a Ski Magazine reader survey, Park City's Canyons Resort was ranked as one of the top resorts in North America. Moving six spots from the previous year, Canyons Resort took the 10th spot on the list. The annual list, which will be released later this month, uses thousands of reader surveys to compile the rankings.

"Over the last couple of years, we've made our way in rapid fashion up the list," said Mike Goar, General Manager of Canyons Resort. "Making it into the Top 10 was a benchmark that our employees, that everyone here, is quite proud of, and the employees really deserve the credit. We received very high marks on our customer service."

When Talisker bought the resort in 2007, the property's score hovered in the mid-to-low 20's. Last year, the resort moved up the list, ranked 16th in North American in a competition against resorts in the United States and Canada.

"(Talisker) has put a lot of money in to the resort since they bought it in 2008," said Ski Magazine Travel Editor Samantha Berman, "so it's not surprising at all. Skiers are seeing the results of that money. From on-mountain dining to the terrain to ski school, they've touched everything across board."

"The resort has a different feel to it," she added. "Skiers notice these kinds of things."...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 4:25 PM

Holladay Village Groundbreaking Set

Mark your calendars and plan on joining us on Tuesday, October 9 at 6:00 pm on the Village Plaza for a groundbreaking ceremony for the Village Center.

www.cityofholladay.com

I'm really liking this new design version over the previous one. Previously the Village Center design was okay, but a bit too streamlined. It had that feel of some of the parts of Gateway that I want to see redeveloped. It just didn't seem to fit well in either a rustic, historic category, or comtemporary, new age category. With the revised version's design, and the right materials used, this new version should emerge as a very charming and authentic recreation of the historic 1880's. I'm going to bet that this will be the case, knowing how the current city council and planning board thinks in Holladay. It would seem they have been rejecting the Cowboy Partner vision, which makes me very happy. Check out these elevations @ http://www.cityofholladay.com/img/Fi...Aug%202012.pdf

I'm also very impressed with the new Fire Station. I salute the city of Holladay for commissioning Mr. Carmine Carapella to design the Station. He does some outstanding work. Check out his website @ http://www.behance.net/gallery/Carmi...rtfolio/835490

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net

Oh, and also if any of you in the Holladay area have been following that particularly difficult "Canyon Slope Project" how is that progressing? Any Pics of some of these great projects in Holladay? John Martin, we're really missing you. I think you were our last great Holladay update. Someone said that John was on the UtahUrban site now. If you have access to him please give him a shout out.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 4:53 PM

Are there residential units in this new version?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 4:38 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post

Are there residential units in this new version?
From the last information I read on Holliday Village Center the answer would be NO, there are no residential. This is due 100% to the short sightedness of the residents. They wanted this village center but they didn't want the "Transient, low income" that came with residential, and they thought it would also make the parking to difficult.

What they failed to realize as they pushed so hard for no residential is that it would be the residential units that would support the businesses on a daily basis, providing revenue for the businesses without taking up valuable visitor parking. Due to a lack of vision by the residents regarding the importance of residential, the new Holladay Village Center will simply be an updated version of what was previously there, Street side retail with parking in the rear, but now with even greater demand for parking because there will be office space as well.

I sure hope this has changed but I think what I read was the most recent.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 11:50 AM

'Go big' with expansion, Park City shopping center told

City Hall panel sees strong prospects for more development at Snow Creek

Jay Hamburger, The Park Record

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_2176063...ce=most_viewed

An idea to expand the Snow Creek Center won accolades
on Wednesday night during a City Hall meeting, an early endorsement
from the panel that will eventually consider the expansion in much more
detail if the developer moves forward with the project.

The Snow Creek Center is situated just off the high-traffic Park
Avenue-Kearns Boulevard intersection. Few people use the moniker
Snow Creek Center in regular conversation, but the shopping center is
well known as the location of The Market at Park City grocery store, a
state liquor store and a variety of restaurants...

...The Planning Commission on Wednesday was upbeat as members
spoke about the project, something that is uncommon for the panel early
in discussions about a major project. The members told the
development team the site could handle more square footage than
exists there now.

They said, perhaps, the developers could consider adding residences to
Snow Creek Center, which is currently exclusively commercial. There
also seemed to be at least some indication that the Planning
Commission would consider taller buildings than are there now. Mick
Savage, a Planning Commissioner, said the site should be optimized.

"Go big or go home," Savage said.

Charlie Wintzer, another member of the Planning Commission, also
spoke about the possibilities of taller buildings and said residences could
work well at the location.

"I think it could be a really fantastic neighborhood," he said...

Park City - Main Street, Imperial Hotel Project

elliottworkgroup

The imperial hotel is in the midst of a major renovation. After
sitting abandoned for years during the hard recession, Park City is pleased
to see this project approaching completion.

The way it stands now, there will be commercial space on the main
street walking level, then the second floor will consist of office space,
and finally the 3rd & 4th floors will be condos in Park City.

The Imperial hotel, was often used as a hotel, and dates back to 1904.
This historic Park City Real Estate was in need of a major facelift, and
should suit to the expectations of our current visitor who demands high
end finishes, and quality work! Most business owners are VERY
excited about the opening of the Imperial Hotel which will draw even
more business to the “Upper main street” area. The work should be
done within the next 6-9 months. We are all very excited to see the
finished product!

221 Main – Imperial Hotel

Park City, Utah" (The Elliott Work Group)

The Imperial Hotel is one of the more revered buildings in this mining
town, anchoring the top of Main Street. It has housed thousands of
people over the years, and possibly some ghosts as well.
Updating necessitated careful attention. Currently it is under
construction but will soon find new residents in it’s freshly updated
walls.

Historic preservation played a key part in the renovation.
Close conversations with the Historic Board and the City, including how
high a historic handrail would be, have resulted in an accurate rendition
of the building. The walls are solid now, the windows keep the wind out
and the materials inside have been upgraded but the Imperial Hotel is on
it’s way to standing as honest and true as it always has.

Numerous additional pics @ http://elliottworkgroup.com/221-main...mperial-hotel/

Exterior waiting for posts and paint on the front

Deck without Rails - a new deck built to historic standards

Exterior with Railings installed

Last edited by delts145; Oct 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 11:01 PM

FYI:

The Mountain View Corridor is now open from Redwood Rd. all the way to Old Bingham Highway. It includes a bike lane and a walking path the whole length. The speed limit is only 45 though

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 12:24 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4vok View Post
FYI:

The Mountain View Corridor is now open from Redwood Rd. all the way to Old Bingham Highway. It includes a bike lane and a walking path the whole length. The speed limit is only 45 though

45 mph with stop lights? yea, people will still be using Bangerter Highway that at least has a speed limit at 50 and over. Mountain View will be lame until it's a true freeway.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 12:41 AM
The Drifter

Which one is more dangerous, Bangerter or Mountain View? Personally I think having freeway speeds with stop lights every mile or 2 worse. If only UDOT would finish Bangerter like 70th South. I think putting in on/off ramps on most or all of Bangerter is more important than finishing off Mountain View into a full freeway.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Which one is more dangerous, Bangerter or Mountain View? Personally I think having freeway speeds with stop lights every mile or 2 worse. If only UDOT would finish Bangerter like 70th South. I think putting in on/off ramps on most or all of Bangerter is more important than finishing off Mountain View into a full freeway.
Bangerter was not designed for future on/off ramps. That would be a major undertaking. Mountain View, on the other hand, is designed for that in the future.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 4:43 AM
Bring out the cranes...

I agree with having on/off ramps at every light. Don't get why UDOT have the ramps only at 70 th while everywhere else still has the lights.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 5:15 AM
The Drifter

I think what they did on 78th proves that Bangerter can be converted to a freeway, with very little impact to homes around it.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 6:10 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
I am thrilled that the kids get a new building, but having worked at the Midvale Boys and Girls Club for 4 years (2003-2007), I am sad that the club is no longer in the school's backyard.
That's where I work!!! The club has grown a lot this year. I believe there are four elementary schools that have after school programs operated by the Boys and Girls Club of South Valley. The after school programs are held in the schools now rather than at the club. The new Midvale Elementary is just down the street, next door to Midvale Middle School.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 4:21 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I think what they did on 78th proves that Bangerter can be converted to a freeway, with very little impact to homes around it.
A larger portion of Bangerter, especially points north of 78th have a lot more homes and existing businesses that would need to be purchased in order to make on and off ramps possible. 78th had room to expand into Jordan Landing.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
A larger portion of Bangerter, especially points north of 78th have a lot more homes and existing businesses that would need to be purchased in order to make on and off ramps possible. 78th had room to expand into Jordan Landing.
UDOT previously said they were going to convert all of Bangerter to a freeway, including buying some houses for the interchanges. However, the most recent article I could find said that it has been put on hold.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
UDOT previously said they were going to convert all of Bangerter to a freeway, including buying some houses for the interchanges. However, the most recent article I could find said that it has been put on hold.
I would imagine with the Mountain View corridor that Bangerter will remain as is for quite some time. I see them finishing off MV as a freeway and then maybe after that convert Bangerter. Although by that time we should be either George Jetsoning it, Fifth Element style, or Back to the Future 2.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 2:16 AM
The Drifter

Even though I would love my flying car I don't think I would want the general public having one. Just think of all the crazies we already have here in the state. Not only that but can you imagine people buying tops of the mountains, chopping a bit off the top to have some acreage and building homes there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West