HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Interesting. The AMC will have to move, and it behooves the Sixers to keep them in the area, particularly in light of the CDR's comments regarding a greater focus on making the area a destination outside of game days/times. I think the south side of market would be a great spot for them. Spreads out the crowd a bit too by forcing them to interact with the street environment rather than the insulated nature of the mall. I really like this idea.
what assurances have been put in place that center city wont lose the the tenants occupying the part of the FD that is planned for demolition? I really havent heard much about what happens to Primark, AMC, Round 1, etc. It's been vague- like- they will just relocate nearby.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 1:59 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
what assurances have been put in place that center city wont lose the the tenants occupying the part of the FD that is planned for demolition? I really havent heard much about what happens to Primark, AMC, Round 1, etc. It's been vague- like- they will just relocate nearby.
Two good options just across the street. Although a developer would need to plan/building something soon in order to attract those tenants. IMO, the South side of Market is holding the corridor back more than the Fashion District.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9517...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9515...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 2:05 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
FWIW someone on the Philadelphia Urban Planning, Policy & Design FB page took a pic of the former McDonald's lot at the NE corner at Broad & Girard that was fully gated off, ready for more demolition? a few weeks back
Both sides of this block will be completely transformed in a few years. There are now 4 large projects underway.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9704...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
See my proposal from last year (with documentation and references under the individual images): https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...14898912132072
I like it!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I like it!
I'm down with this.

I'm not necessarily slamming the table for the stadium. To be fair, there are some questions that remain (traffic and street activation for the 200 day's the stadium is closed etc).

I just want there to be something to be done that is transformational to market east. It's so depressing to walk that stretch as is.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Two good options just across the street. Although a developer would need to plan/building something soon in order to attract those tenants. IMO, the South side of Market is holding the corridor back more than the Fashion District.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9517...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9515...8192?entry=ttu
Move that Popeye's?

Oh no you dit' nt.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Both sides of this block will be completely transformed in a few years. There are now 4 large projects underway.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9704...8192?entry=ttu
Soooo much potential up there. It's starting in earnest but they've only scratched the surface at this point.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 6:55 PM

Anyone have an idea what the activity on Broad south of Lehigh is? Lots of digging next to the gas station there looks like a decent sized lot. With all the development going up broad this block doesn’t feel so far removed anymore

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
Anyone have an idea what the activity on Broad south of Lehigh is? Lots of digging next to the gas station there looks like a decent sized lot. With all the development going up broad this block doesn’t feel so far removed anymore
i havent been past there in months but they tore down the low rise commercial structure a while ago- there was a dominos there from what I recall.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 8:09 PM

Drexel Station at 30th Street

This is so ridiculous. I get why Septa has to take the money but it should always be the actual geographic location and then the sponsorship:

Pattison - NRG Station
30th Street - Drexel Station

Drexel is going to love this until it shows up on the news haha "2 shot, 1 critical at Drexel Station - 6ABC"

https://drexel.edu/news/archive/2023...030th%20Street.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 8:21 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
This is so ridiculous. I get why Septa has to take the money but it should always be the actual geographic location and then the sponsorship:

Pattison - NRG Station
30th Street - Drexel Station

Drexel is going to love this until it shows up on the news haha "2 shot, 1 critical at Drexel Station - 6ABC"

https://drexel.edu/news/archive/2023...030th%20Street.
This is Drexel's campus though, and Drexel is heavily involved in basically every new development in that area. At least it's not named after a random company.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Dec 21, 2023 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 8:39 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Yeah this is no good. One step forward with the line nomenclature change (for the most part) but one step back with this vulgar sponsorship business. Sounds like a 5 over 1 student housing project. Station has been a trend word in real estate marketing for a while now and that's what this name sounds like.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 5:20 AM
Creative Ambitions

VTV00596 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV00575 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV00573 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV00561 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV00559 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV00545 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV00539 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV00536 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV00534 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV00533 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV00532 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 5:43 AM
PHL

It should just be called 30th Street Drexel Station, the number should come first. But yeah I’m also pro-Drexel, I’m glad it’s not like Spark Station or something lol.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 5:39 PM

Equinox signs are up. Thought the entrance would be on 20th, but looks like it’ll be on the Walnut side.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 6:37 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Equinox signs are up. Thought the entrance would be on 20th, but looks like it’ll be on the Walnut side.
That's good news.

On their website now too.
https://www.equinox.com/clubs/pennsylvania/rittenhouse

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 7:15 PM

West Elm Closing

Saw on FB that West Elm is in the middle of a liquidation sale and the store is definitely closing. Employees said that it will not be reopening in the city and were directing people to the Suburban Sq store.

Someone else on that thread commented that Williams Sonoma(West Elm owner) in general has been shutting down city stores and moving all their brands to the burbs. Not just in Philly but everywhere. Their reasoning was that houses in the cities are too small and there are far more customers in the suburbs.

For something like Crate and Barrel I guess I would agree, most of the furniture there is too big for most rowhomes, but West Elm furniture size is pretty comparable to IKEA so that doesn't really make sense.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Saw on FB that West Elm is in the middle of a liquidation sale and the store is definitely closing. Employees said that it will not be reopening in the city and were directing people to the Suburban Sq store.

Someone else on that thread commented that Williams Sonoma(West Elm owner) in general has been shutting down city stores and moving all their brands to the burbs. Not just in Philly but everywhere. Their reasoning was that houses in the cities are too small and there are far more customers in the suburbs.

For something like Crate and Barrel I guess I would agree, most of the furniture there is too big for most rowhomes, but West Elm furniture size is pretty comparable to IKEA so that doesn't really make sense.
Ya that’s odd. They already have a strong presence in the burbs and CC’s population continues to grow.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 12:47 AM

Finally a comprehensive article on retail decline in CC. Sounds kind we were about to get a Zara until the mass looting incident. I’m sure there are many others we don’t know about. This is on Krasner, progressives and “it’s just property” folks. You all should be apologizing if you had a shred of decency. I hope you’re happy.

https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...-future-122156

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 4:54 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Finally a comprehensive article on retail decline in CC. Sounds kind we were about to get a Zara until the mass looting incident. I’m sure there are many others we don’t know about. This is on Krasner, progressives and “it’s just property” folks. You all should be apologizing if you had a shred of decency. I hope you’re happy.

https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...-future-122156
I agree with the at-large points about improving perceptions, beatifying major corridors, and calling on Mayor Parker will improve the situation. I also think the Ritt Row team and CCD should have a more aggressive and unified marketing approach to attracting retailers.

However, the article is more grim than reality. While retail theft has increased, the problem of looting, flash mobs, theft, and a dreary Market Street aren't new problems. The difference is that in 2023 every incident is instantly shared with the world via social media, and conservative media has a mission to portray American cities as crime ridden hell holes. That leads to warped perceptions. (We are also in the age of online shopping, high rents, changing consumer demand, etc., but those are different problems).

The loss of Zara is still disappointing (if that story is true). Though I find the decision odd, considering Zara operates stores in Chicago, San Fran, and LA, all of which have experienced recent incidents of looting, smash n grabs, and high-end retail theft. I guess it comes down to projected risk vs. return?

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Dec 24, 2023 at 5:06 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development