HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 7:50 PM
low-riding

FDNY have already shut down a really wide perimeter. no one is getting close

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
Holy shit. Its saying the crane is dangled over Carneghie Hall. It it dislodges it would pierce through the hall like a missile
Live cam for ya

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/cvplive/cvpstream2

Depends which way the wind is blowing...if it falls no question it will likely make a dent in something.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 7:51 PM

This storm is bad in Detroit right now. For the love of God, stay inside New Yorkers.

P.S. It looks like my favorite new skyscraper is going to take a little longer to finish...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 7:54 PM
Get me out of here

Closeup

Closeup of the crane - WOW!!!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 7:56 PM

^ Wow,I truly underestimated Sandy.

Cops confirmed flying glass to CNN reporters,but the problem is nobody knows what building it is.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 7:57 PM

Crane at One57 collapsed

Do you think that this could happen to 1WTC or 4WTC at any point also?

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Oct 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 7:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
^Cops confirmed flying glass to CNN reporters,but the problem is nobody knows what building it is.
All the more reason people need to stay away.

Here's the proper thread to keep up with everything else that's going on with the storm, as well as personal updates.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=202211

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:01 PM

Looks like the "mast" has "flipped over the back". The wrong place for all the additional weight. ( isn't there already "ballast weight" on that side ????)

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:01 PM

Out of curiosity, once the storm has passed, how will they repair the crane? My main question being, how will they take down the broken top part of the crane? Will they have to erect another crane next to it? Or use some skylift helicopter?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:04 PM
NYC to LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
Out of curiosity, once the storm has passed, how will they repair the crane? My main question being, how will they take down the broken top part of the crane? Will they have to erect another crane next to it? Or use some skylift helicopter?
Another crane will be erected as one of the operators said.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:16 PM
New Yorker for life

http://statenisland.ny1.com/content/...crane-collapse

Quote:
The working jib of the crane appears to have bent backwards, which could make the crane off-center.

Witnesses at the scene tell NY1 city officials have ordered people in neighboring buildings to move to lower floors.

Surrounding streets have also been closed off as a precaution.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:18 PM
Ex Houstonian

Man, looking at the live coverage, its swaying back and forth pretty good. Theres no way it wont eventually detach from the rest of the crane and fall.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Man, looking at the live coverage, its swaying back and forth pretty good. Theres no way it wont eventually detach from the rest of the crane and fall.
And unbelievably, people are still out trying to get a good view of it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:21 PM
BANNED

Wow...that's going to be an enormous construction delay, and I can't imagine this will help sales, either. I've always wondered about why people would want to live nearly 1,000 feet above ground because the winds up there are sooooo much more violent than on ground level. I'm still blown away (no pun intended) that modern engineering can yield buildings that don't topple over under such high strains....

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Wow...that's going to be an enormous construction delay, and I can't imagine this will help sales, either. I've always wondered about why people would want to live nearly 1,000 feet above ground
It's an unusual event. People who can afford to live that high up probably wouldn't have been around anyway. But there are and will be apartments even higher than this one around the world. Not everyone likes the same thing. Being higher up, obviously, appeals to a lot of people. And BTW, the sales won't be hurt - if anything, its just more free publicity for the building. No one is going to live in a crane, but the apartments will be there.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:26 PM

I just got back from 57th and 7th... Wow. The wind in that corridor is WAY stronger than any street I was on south of 57th. With every gust you literally expect the crane to fall at any time. I took plenty of photos and videos, ill try to post them on a site that supports mobile device uploads.

Stay safe everyone, there are hundreds of police officers everywhere for a reason.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:28 PM
Ex Houstonian

Im sure the higher ups at Extell Development Group have a giant lump in their throats right about now.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
I just got back from 57th and 7th... Wow. The wind in that corridor is WAY stronger than any street I was on south of 57th. With every gust you literally expect the crane to fall at any time. I took plenty of photos and videos, ill try to post them on a site that supports mobile device uploads.
We look forward to the photos, but I'm still not comfortable with anyone putting themselves at risk.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012...itziest-condo/

Crane Crumples Above One57, Manhattan’s Glitziest Condo

By Josh Barbanel

Quote:
A section of crane at the top of New York City’s tallest residential tower broke loose and dangled dangerously over West 57th Street on Monday afternoon, caught in the powerful draft Hurricane Sandy’s winds.

The precarious crane hanging near the 1,004-foot top of One57, the city’s most expensive new condominium tower, caused widespread evacuations along the street below.

“The cops came in and said it will fall,” said Steven Smith, the manager of Rue 57, a restaurant located down the street.

Noel Flynn, who regularly bikes along 57th Street, said the top of the crane usually leans over toward the curved top of the glass-walled tower. In the storms winds, however, the crane appeared to be folded down away from the building. Some loose cables could be seen from the top.

Gary Barnett, president of Extell Development, the company building the tower, said he was just learning details of the accident and declined to discuss it.

Carmelo Rivera, a doorman at the Park Central Hotel nearby hotel heard the pop of the crane as it dislodged. “I just heard this loud snap,” Rivera said. “”I thought it was a bomb or a plane had hit a building. But the arm of the crane just snapped.”

The accident happened as the strong winds caused breaking glass and falling objects from nearby buildings. A glass menu case from Mangia restaurant on West 57th Street swung open in the wind and shattered. Another falling object hit a firefighter on the scene, who wasn’t seriously injured.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:32 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Im sure the higher ups at Extell Development Group have a giant lump in their throats right about now.
If they knowingly failed to do the right thing by taking the proper precautions, then yes, I would imagine they're biting their nails right now.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:41 PM

That last tower anchor/brace must be dealing with the full range of extreme lateral forces. Hope she hangs tuff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive