HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
Skyriser

Closing streets to vehicular traffic in hopes of attracting pedestrians almost never works, and in fact the opposite effect happens--businesses suffer because they lose the eyes/money from pass-through travelers. Tucson is still at the phase where they are trying to encourage people to come to downtown, and to that end they should make it as convenient as possible. Closing streets works for downtowns that have so many people officials have to proactively manage it somehow.

I could rant further on how retarded the idea is to begin with and how backwards (it's 2012 and he's thinking about this?) and ill-informed the mayor is for thinking about it despite his best intentions, but I think that sums it up.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 8:45 PM

The City Council has nixed Town West's request for a rezoning extension of a Warehouse Arts District property owned by the city and originally slated for their El Mirador mixed-use project, but recently being considered for student housing:

A rendering of the long-dead El Mirador project proposed in 2007 for a
3.6-acre parcel at Stone and Franklin.
(courtesy: Town West)

Tucson City Council Rejects Downtown Rezoning Extension Over Fears of Future Student Housing
by Jim Nintzel
Tucson Weekly
September 12, 2012

The Tucson City Council voted unanimously last night against extending a rezoning agreement for a key downtown parcel. The property in question, at Stone Avenue and Franklin Street, sits on the edge of the historic El Presidio Neighborhood and is smack-dab in the midst of the developing Warehouse Arts District. A string of speakers, mostly made up of downtown residents and business owners, spoke against the extension of the rezoning.

Town West, which has done some good developments around town (such as its current work rehabbing a deserted apartment complex on Fort Lowell Road east of Campbell Avenue), got the original rezoning on the property in 2007. The plan at that time was to build a hotel, brewery, retail space, artist studios, condo units, parking garages and such in a complex that would include towers as high as 15 floors. But with the economic slowdown, that project—which had the support of some of the neighbors—has stalled.

Town West officials had recently approached council members and neighboring property owners with the idea of doing a student-housing complex instead. Town West was not seeking approval for student housing last night; instead, the company simply wanted an extension of the current rezoning allowing for the earlier plans. In most cases, these kinds of extensions are granted because council members are generally sympathetic to the challenges that developers have faced during the economic downturn. But in this case, Ward 1 Councilwoman Regina Romero said she was skeptical that the original plan would ever be completed. “What we have in front of us tonight will not happen,” Romero said as she made the motion to reject the extension of the rezoning plan.

Ward 6 Councilman Steve Kozachik said he had seen recent proposals from Town West for a student-housing complex on the site, which he called “not at all consistent with the master plan” for the area. Kozachik said he wanted to see a viable plan for the property that “fits in contextually with what’s being developed” in the Warehouse Arts District.

The concern over student housing comes as neighbors near the new District on Fifth apartments, near Fourth Avenue and Sixth Street, are having conflicts with the noise and traffic generated by the more than 700 students who have moved into the massive complex. New student-housing complexes are already in the works on the east end of downtown near the Fourth Avenue underpass. After the meeting, Ward 2 Councilman Paul Cunningham said he wasn’t opposed to student housing downtown, but thought the Stone and Franklin corner was the wrong area, given its distance from the streetcar line and proximity to the El Presidio Neighborhood. The property will now revert to its original zoning, which allows intensive commercial and heavy industrial use.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 5:39 AM

Large, vacant spaces citywide subdivided into smaller stores
Gabriela Rico Arizona Daily Star

In the game of blackjack, you should always split your 8s.
In a down economy, splitting vacant retail space once occupied by big-box stores can also be a strategy.
Such is the case in Tucson, where real estate agents and retailers are negotiating for spaces once occupied by big national chains.
Near the intersection of Oracle and Wetmore roads, the former Circuit City building is being split to accommodate two retailers. Neither could fill the entire space left when the electronics retailer left.
Cost Plus World Market and Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts will occupy the space once renovations are complete, said Nancy McClure, first vice president at CBRE, specializing in retail properties.
Negotiations were recently completed also for the former Circuit City on Broadway and Craycroft Road, but the interested tenant isn't ready to make an announcement, she said. Similarly, a deal on the space vacated by Border's Books at Oracle and Limberlost roads is being negotiated.
"At the beginning of the recession we saw a lot of major retailers go under and had a glut of big spaces on the market," McClure said.
In her midyear report, she said the absorption of those spaces is going well, and creativity is helping the process.
Similar to other markets, Tucson is seeing churches, fitness facilities and other large spaces such as the former Bally's on Grant Road marketing themselves to call centers in case retailers aren't interested, McClure said.
"We're seeing some nice, strong healthy activity and interest in our markets," she said.
And then there are the sticklers, such as the former Old American Furnishings building on Oracle Road, just north of Wetmore Road.
"It's been on the market for quite a while," McClure said. "It's an 'A' location but difficult to re-tenant with its multi-level parking garage and four stories of retail space."
Compared to bigger markets with a bigger supply of big-box space, Tucson is doing well, she said.
"We are recovering really nicely," McClure said. "I think that's just good news. We did not get overbuilt."
"We are recovering really nicely. I think that's just good news. We did not get overbuilt."
Nancy McClure
first vice president, CBRE

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Closing streets to vehicular traffic in hopes of attracting pedestrians almost never works, and in fact the opposite effect happens--businesses suffer because they lose the eyes/money from pass-through travelers. Tucson is still at the phase where they are trying to encourage people to come to downtown, and to that end they should make it as convenient as possible. Closing streets works for downtowns that have so many people officials have to proactively manage it somehow.

I could rant further on how retarded the idea is to begin with and how backwards (it's 2012 and he's thinking about this?) and ill-informed the mayor is for thinking about it despite his best intentions, but I think that sums it up.
I need to intervene. I agree with you. Maybe it works to other cities but I think it will fail in Tucson. Just see what's happening now with the street car construction downtown, wherever the road gets shutdown due to laying down the street car construction, businesses don't get much costumers , if any. Tucson really needs to stop this mentality of showing the welcome mat while at the same time opening the door just halfway.

Plus, it's not wise to shutdown roads especially, in the central part of Tucson, when traffic is getting worse by the year. And where will the Sun Tran buses and vehicles parked in those downtown apts go?

As for the NIMBY's at West University, I think they need to consider moving out. They are living right in the middle of Tucson with I-10, Pima Community College, 4th ave bars/restaurants, student housing, U of AZ, downtown, the rail tracks, street car tracks, maybe an arena/convention center/historic museums etc...

Also, I wished the city politicos would stop sending mix messages to the world - downtown growth or no-growth. Stick with one - GROWTH. Meaning more mid-rise/high-rise mixed complex, mixed options for restaurants and entertainment (this includes brand name stores/restaurants/groceries..that's missing downtown) and travel convenience (that Greyhound bus depot should be right by the Ronstadt Transit and Amtrak Train depot...and one or two car/bike rental companies )

Last edited by gozilla; Sep 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 1:30 PM

Btw, if Congress St. actually gets shutdown, downtown Tucson will ONLY have one major east-west artery. It sure is stupid to have a downtown of a major metropolitan city of 1 million to have one major east-west and one major north-south (stone) crosstown artery. The nimbys at west university and the owner of HOTEL CONGRESS must be salivating to get this done.

I'm starting to get suspicious about the motivation of limiting access in that area - turn it into a playground for the Hotel Congress District. Kicking the Greyhound Bus station (after 10 years of 'planning'), trying to move the Ronstadt Transit Center (with Steve K's aid), 4th Ave. underpass was supposed to be twice the width, prevent expanding Broadway Rd etc... Can't call it a downtown renovation anymore but Hotel Congress Playland and Utopian Paradise (at pedestrian friendly CONGRESS ST).

If the mayor really wants a pedestrian friendly road, build one by the Santa Cruz River.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 6:53 PM

Was down in Tucson yesterday and proud to see all the developments going on. I drove through campus via Speedway. So much improvemenmt compared to when I was last down there a few years ago and my father took note of it as well. Still waiting for the day I can take the commuter train down there for a day or two. But in the mean time, keep it up!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 7:53 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Was down in Tucson yesterday and proud to see all the developments going on. I drove through campus via Speedway. So much improvemenmt compared to when I was last down there a few years ago and my father took note of it as well. Still waiting for the day I can take the commuter train down there for a day or two. But in the mean time, keep it up!
Awesome, curious as to what you noticed in particular? Was it just a more urban vibe? maybe more clean? Would love to hear a detailed outside perspective!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 2:54 AM

There definetly a larger urban prescene, of course closer to the campus, but still it was more noticable this time around than the last time I was there about November 2007. More people walking the streets, more density amounting up, and a definite busy innercity feel. Also for the first time, I took notice of the enormous bikable prescene throughout the city with dedicaded bike boulevards and HAWK street lights every block or so.
Stone Ave, however, north of the campus looked a bit sketchy. The further south towards downtown I wanted to get out and explore. Due to time constraints I didn't, but one day I will.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 8:17 AM

Road runner: After delays, widening work on Houghton due to start soon

Becky Pallack Arizona Daily Star

The project to widen Houghton Road from Irvington Road to Valencia Road is coming soon. For real this time!

After some technical difficulties with contracting delayed the start of construction from spring until fall, the project was put out to bid again. The apparent low bid came in at about $22.5 million, about 8 percent below the engineer's estimate.

Construction should begin in October and take about a year and a half, said city project manager M.J. Dillard.

When it's done, you'll have three lanes in each direction plus bus pullouts, bike lanes, sidewalks, landscaped medians and better drainage.

Because the road is being widened from two lanes to six lanes, two lanes will always be open to traffic during construction, Dillard said.

Drivers, that means you'll see some slowing in the construction zone, but the project shouldn't mess up your commute.

The first part of the project involves working on water lines west of the roadway near Irvington, Dillard said.

To learn more about the construction schedule, drop by an open house at 6 p.m. Oct. 3 at Desert Sky Middle School, 9850 E. Rankin Loop.

This project is the second part of a nine-part Regional Transportation Authority project to turn Houghton into an expressway between Interstate 10 and Tanque Verde Road.

The first part was improving the intersection at Houghton and Old Vail/Mary Ann Cleveland Way.

The next steps include the Broadway to 22nd Street stretch, the railroad bridge and the bridge to I-10. You can get a sneak peek at plans for the bridges at the Oct. 3 meeting, but construction is a few years down the road.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozilla View Post
It sure is stupid to have a downtown of a major metropolitan city of 1 million to have one major east-west and one major north-south (stone) crosstown artery.
I agree that Congress is the wrong street for this project, but want to point out that the Aviation/I-10 connection should pick up most if not all of the E/W throu traffic.

I like the idea of a pedestrian street, just not Congress. The city could open one of the N/S street for re-developement. That would give the city any opportunity to mix in new construction, which could help pull in some of the "brand-name" retailers people want. Essentially, an open air mall.

Development aside, it seems silly to have rail running right down the pedestrian road. We're talking about Tucson afterall, where several people each year die crossing the UP tracks despite the flashing lights, bells, pikes and 110 db horn blowing all the way in from Marana.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 6:43 PM

I'm bad about taking pictures of this stuff, but some notes:

-A crane has been installed on the top of the Plaza Centro garage to construct that part of Cadence.

-Level, at 1020 Tyndall, is looking pretty large by now. I'd say they're up to about the fourth or fifth floor at least.

-The exterior renovation of the Four Points/aLoft appears to be about 75% done. Windows are being installed and final painting seems to be occurring.

-Tracks were laid today on 4th between 6th and 7th. Last week, tracks were laid on Congress from Scott to 6th.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

EDIT - Also, there's been a Bobcat-type tractor in the parking lot at One East Broadway, but I can't tell if it's related to impending construction or not as cars are still parking there as well.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post

-The exterior renovation of the Four Points/aLoft appears to be about 75% done. Windows are being installed and final painting seems to be occurring.

Thank you for the images. About the aLoft I noticed a sign on the fence saying they'll open early 2013.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
Thank you for the images. About the aLoft I noticed a sign on the fence saying they'll open early 2013.
If you check out kaneui's Metro Tucson link, the opening for the aLoft was initially scheduled for February, so it sounds like things are on schedule.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 5:41 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, especially with all the good development going on around the city right now, but it's official:

Tucson Padres on their way out

By Damien Alameda

El Paso, TX - One day after the Pacific Coast League voted to recommend the sale and move of the Tucson Padres to El Paso, the Sun City's city council approved measures to construct a new ballpark by a final vote of 4-3.

The two votes ensure that, barring any set backs, 2013 will be the final season of the Tucson Padres.

All that is standing in the way of the move is a veto from El Paso's mayor. However according to the El Paso Times, chances of that veto are slim. The mayor has 72 hours to pull the trigger.

This will be the third season for the Tucson Padres, a club that many figured would have a short stay. The Padres were originally supposed to relocate to Escondido, California until that measure failed.

The 2013 season will begin in April.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, especially with all the good development going on around the city right now, but it's official:

By Damien Alameda

El Paso, TX - One day after the Pacific Coast League voted to recommend the sale and move of the Tucson Padres to El Paso, the Sun City's city council approved measures to construct a new ballpark by a final vote of 4-3.
El Paso is spending a ton of money to snag the Padres, including tearing down a perfectly good city hall to build a new stadium. I hope it works out, because local taxpayers there will be on the hook for a chunk of change, with no guarantee the struggling team will be a successful draw.

Locally, it's time for Tucson to let go of pro baseball and look to soccer as a revenue generator with more potential for Kino stadium. The rumor is that FC Tucson, the new semi-pro soccer team, is hoping to join the minor league USL in 2014, as the league is looking for expansion teams in the west to join L.A. and Phoenix. If that happens, converting Kino into a permanent soccer venue might be a viable option, depending how the support of FC Tucson progresses over the next year or so.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post

By Damien Alameda

The two votes ensure that, barring any set backs, 2013 will be the final season of the Tucson Padres.

All that is standing in the way of the move is a veto from El Paso's mayor. However according to the El Paso Times, chances of that veto are slim. The mayor has 72 hours to pull the trigger.

This will be the third season for the Tucson Padres, a club that many figured would have a short stay. The Padres were originally supposed to relocate to Escondido, California until that measure failed.

The 2013 season will begin in April.
I've also been following this. The big issue I see, is the funding of the new stadium, they say 75% would be paid using an increase to the hotel tax, while the remaining would be funded through ticket sales, consessions, and other means. They repeat that tax payer monies would not pay for the stadium. Well see what happens.

I own property in El Paso, so hoping my property taxes don't go up if funding falls short in a place that has sky high property taxes already.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
El Paso is spending a ton of money to snag the Padres, including tearing down a perfectly good city hall to build a new stadium. I hope it works out, because local taxpayers there will be on the hook for a chunk of change, with no guarantee the struggling team will be a successful draw.

Locally, it's time for Tucson to let go of pro baseball and look to soccer as a revenue generator with more potential for Kino stadium. The rumor is that FC Tucson, the new semi-pro soccer team, is hoping to join the minor league USL in 2014, as the league is looking for expansion teams in the west to join L.A. and Phoenix. If that happens, converting Kino into a permanent soccer venue might be a viable option, depending how the support of FC Tucson progresses over the next year or so.
I haven't heard anything about FC Tucson looking to imminently move to USL Pro, but I know it's something they're looking at longterm. Regardless, you're right about moving on from baseball.

I know that, across the board, attendance is up for minor league baseball, but closer inspection reveals that teams are either big winners or big losers. Tucson, largely because of stadium location and climate during the season, is bound to be a loser, which is why everyone always put so much weight into spring training. Whether El Paso officials want to be realistic or not, they're in the same boat (minus the benefits of spring training), although their stadium location seems to be better.

Professional soccer in Tucson may be in its infancy, but significant progress has been seen in just two years. This progress obviously has to continue but the base from which to determine success established by the Padres isn't very high.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznative View Post
I've also been following this. The big issue I see, is the funding of the new stadium, they say 75% would be paid using an increase to the hotel tax, while the remaining would be funded through ticket sales, consessions, and other means. They repeat that tax payer monies would not pay for the stadium. Well see what happens.

I own property in El Paso, so hoping my property taxes don't go up if funding falls short in a place that has sky high property taxes already.
I know this is off topic, but the real scary part is the final 25%. Funding stadiums based on projected ticket and concession sales isn't a new idea, but it works better when the projections are more likely to be fulfilled (i.e., for new major league teams and/or preexisting teams moving to new facilities). El Paso is projecting numbers for a minor league team that has no historical presence in the city so their attendance figures can only be so accurate.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 1:47 AM

Armory Park to become The Herbert; rehabbed as upscale studios

Downtown's Armory Park Apartments, built in the early 70's
(courtesy: Armory Park Apartments)

At the end of this Tucson Weekly article on Sentinel Plaza, the author mentions Peach Properties' plans to buy the eight-story Armory Park Apartments and convert them to market-rate studios. Peach's website confirms that they are teaming with Holualoa Arizona for the project, and renaming it The Herbert:

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/b...nt?oid=3531036

http://peachprops.com/news/the-herbert-apartments/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 5:21 AM

NE corner of Broadway & Craycroft.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest