HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Preaching to the choir. Unions. That is all I need to say about that.
It's pretty insane that the police association basically said we'd all be murdered by home invaders if Bowman got elected and they're still getting increases 300% more than inflation. Like how much more do they expect to get? Talk about greed

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:06 PM

At some point the City needs to start freezing the budget. The unions can increase wages all they want, but will need to reduce number of officers. Of course that's the opposite of what unions want. Maybe once that happens, they'll start looking for efficiencies. It'll be a public war, but that's what it'll take.

Every year crowing about the need for increases while beat cops make $100k a year is ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
It's pretty insane that the police association basically said we'd all be murdered by home invaders if Bowman got elected and they're still getting increases 300% more than inflation. Like how much more do they expect to get? Talk about greed
In fact the opposite happened – the police started murdering!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
A budget line increase doesn't necessarily translate into a salary increase. A lot of people seem to forget that.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 6:19 PM

The police union has stated they need an increase to keep up with salaries. So yes, it is directly related.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 6:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
In fact the opposite happened – the police started murdering!
If you are actively attacking someone and or are carrying a firearm, prepare to be shot. Zero sympathy for violent criminals.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
If you are actively attacking someone and or are carrying a firearm, prepare to be shot. Zero sympathy for violent criminals.
agreed 1million%

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 7:01 PM

Yes. However when it gets to the point where they shoot first, when you don't even have a weapon, and ask questions later, not good.

Like in the states where they make you do a dance on your knees, but keep your hands on your head, then blow you away when balance is lost.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 7:03 PM

I don't believe any of the police shootings in Winnipeg this year were like that.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 7:08 PM

No they weren't. Which is good. Like you guys have said, don't be stupid and you should be fine.

It's something to keep an eye on, as the trend seems to be an increasing number of police shootings.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
what if someone attacks me, I manage to wrestle the weapon from them and use it to disable them, and a cop comes up and shoots me? don't advocate for stupid things like "shoot first, ask questions later."

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
what if someone attacks me, I manage to wrestle the weapon from them and use it to disable them, and a cop comes up and shoots me? don't advocate for stupid things like "shoot first, ask questions later."
I'm pretty sure the part where they say "Drop the weapon" etc was implied by Biff, prior to the shooting part. So in that scenario, you would drop the weapon, and be fine.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Come on.....Have you ever heard stories where cops just come in gun's a-blazing with out even asking to drop the weapon or evaluate who is who? If you are innocent and wrestled the weapon out of an attackers hand you would drop it when told by police to do so.

People get shot here when they are told repeatedly to drop a weapon and refuse...usually advancing on police with the weapon in hand. I would shoot them 100 times out of 100 times too.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:

People get shot here when they are told repeatedly to drop a weapon and refuse...usually advancing on police with the weapon in hand.
Often referred to, I believe, as "suicide by cop". Difficult to prove (unless there is a note or confession available) but a very real thing in some circumstances. My perception is that the WPS (despite it's ongoing funding "issue" that has been discussed here) has tried to get away from the more "tribal" aspects of "us vs. them" and embrace more of a community involvement. I would point to their relationship with the Bear Clan patrol as evidence of this.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 1:37 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
If you are ... carrying a firearm, prepare to be shot.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 3:44 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Why are talking about the Jets? I don’t think they have anything to do with police funding.
How many NHL players have had to deal with shotgun-wielding general managers?

I thought it would be obvious why I made the reference but fine, choose any other example if it suits you better.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:50 PM

Pretty great blog entry comparing a mature neighbourhood to new suburbs, for those who are still defending places like Sage Creek & Bridgewater.

http://www.dearwinnipeg.com/2019/02/...ot-the-answer/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 8:00 PM

HOW WINNIPEG BECAME CANADA'S COMEBACK CITY

Chloe Cann charts the fall and rise of this plucky Canadian underdog – from boom to bust and back again

Chloe Cann
4 days ago

Winnipeg was a city built for great things. Bankrolled by booming fur and wheat traders, there were more millionaires here per capita than New York in the late 1800s. By 1905 it was the fastest growing city of its size, not only in Canada, but in the whole of North America. And by 1911 a whopping 24 train lines converged upon the Manitoban capital, establishing it as one of the largest rail centres in the world. Such was the promise of this “Gateway to the West” that even the city’s beaux-arts train station was dreamt up by the same architects that designed NYC’s Grand Central.

Then a perfect storm of events – the First World War, the opening of the Panama Canal, the Great Depression, plummeting wheat prices and the end of Canada’s immigration boom – derailed the city’s grandiose dreams. It never quite recovered. Winnipeg has since become a familiar punchline (in one episode of The Simpsons, a sign reads: “Now entering Winnipeg – we were born here, what’s your excuse?”), and until not long ago it held the unfortunate title of Canada’s murder capital.

While it may therefore seem an unlikely tourist destination, this little city on the prairie is on the cusp of becoming the Next Big Thing in Canada.

“Up until a few years ago, Winnipeg was known as a place that young people left,” explains Rorie Mcleod, communications advisor at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR).

“The narrative of Winnipeg has completely changed in the last 10 years, and the museum is one of the most recognisable signs of that progress.”

Little Brown Jug is an urban factory and brewery (Visit Winnipeg)

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...SrIB7nQDya_OTi

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:58 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Fort Garry Fort

I pass by that awful metalic display of Fort Garry quite regularly. You know, the one that plays the fiddle music ad infinitum.

Today I got tired of the fiddle music.

Wish there had been a design competition for this project, so that this awful result didn't happen and that something different would have been built in its place.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I pass by that awful metalic display of Fort Garry quite regularly. You know, the one that plays the fiddle music ad infinitum.

Today I got tired of the fiddle music.

Wish there had been a design competition for this project, so that this awful result didn't happen and that something different would have been built in its place.
I agree 100%! it’s like the people who designed that park went out of their way to try to keep everyone other than tourists out of it. It’s unfortunate because the wall itself is quite impressive but the layout makes the park unusable. what should act as a shortcut through to Assiniboine ave. Now has to be zigzagged through.

It’s too bad they didn’t rebuild some of the structures that were there to recreate a sort of small walled village right downtown. Recreating parts of the wall and some of the corner towers. Would have been an impressive site when driving over the bridges into downtown. The city, or the forks or the friends of ufg, could have leased the buildings out to restaurants and shops and created a unique area to wander over too from the forks. (Think how awesome this would have been at Christmas.)Instead we have this. That wall and light show would have been more appropriate as a retaining wall along the tracks behind the forks market buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan