HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:44 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I found this link with some more pictures: http://www.rndcnola.org/projectpage.php?links=1770_zq

There was a proposal to do something with the land 3 years ago, but that fell through. This looks like there is more traction behind it!
Yeah Since they actually pulled a permit this is clearly a go!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Is it just me or does there appear to be some type of work going on at the old power plant?

Any idea when work begins?
I drive by this every day (when I'm in town). I'm pretty sure they've sandblasted off the graffiti. There's also a metal stucture on the roof which seams to be stripped down to the beams. I'll take pictures when I get back in town (currently in Eau Claire WI).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yeah Since they actually pulled a permit this is clearly a go!
The permit says $6.3 million for 52 housing units. The whole project is supposed to be 240 units, so it looks like they're only building the lower building that curves around the corner in this phase. Still, it's a definite improvement. If anyone knows something more specific than my idle speculation, please say so.

On a related note, I've always hated how Tchoupitoulas splits into Religious Street for a few blocks, each one-way, then rejoins by Walmart. Tchoupitoulas is 2 lanes the rest of the city, why can't Tchop/Religious just be 2 lanes, 1 in each direction, the entire length? It would take very little streetwork to re-work it that way, and would save a lot of confusion.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 4:49 AM

Quote:
On a related note, I've always hated how Tchoupitoulas splits into Religious Street for a few blocks, each one-way, then rejoins by Walmart. Tchoupitoulas is 2 lanes the rest of the city, why can't Tchop/Religious just be 2 lanes, 1 in each direction, the entire length? It would take very little streetwork to re-work it that way, and would save a lot of confusion.

Tchopitoulas used to be all two-way and Religous was a one way if I'm not mistaken. They switched it to the current config because traffic was and still is ridiculous in that short stretch as well as to feed the Truckway. Changing it back would be a mistake in my opinion. From 8am to around 12 noon traffic can be hell from Felicity to the expressway with commuters mixed with port traffic. Same thing between 3pm and 5pm.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Tchopitoulas used to be all two-way and Religous was a one way if I'm not mistaken. They switched it to the current config because traffic was and still is ridiculous in that short stretch as well as to feed the Truckway. Changing it back would be a mistake in my opinion. From 8am to around 12 noon traffic can be hell from Felicity to the expressway with commuters mixed with port traffic. Same thing between 3pm and 5pm.
Does anyone know what the plans are for the large plot of land next to the convention center? Are there plans for expanding the Convention Center? Will the block remain intact or be divided? The reason I ask is because extending Convention Center Boulevard to connect with S. Peters would definitely help ease traffic on Tchop, but maybe there is a reason the lot has to remain intact.

I'm always for restoring a street-grid wherever practical.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 1:43 PM
TL;DR

If they built a convention center like every other city does - one story above grade, with parking and loading docks beneath - then streets could extend through the site.

EDIT: Looks like the Master Plan calls for exactly that.

TVS Design

Last edited by ardecila; Sep 21, 2011 at 1:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:01 PM

Civic Theater

Developer in early stages of restoring Civic Theater

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...civic-theater/

"A $2 million construction permit has been filed that could mean the restoration of the old Civic Theater back into a functioning movie venue.

Developer Brian Gibbs, who also owns the Civic Lofts apartments on both sides of the theater at 547 Baronne St., said he’s in the preliminary stages of the project and at this juncture there’s no way of knowing whether he will get the historical tax credits needed to move ahead with the restoration of the landmark building...."

--------------------------

Also, does anyone know what project is going on in the 700 block of Magazine. They've been massively renovating this huge building. I can only assume it's condos but I dont think it's been mentioned on here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1770+t...52.15,,0,-6.51

-----------------------------

Another large renovation I've seen recently is this yellow building in the 200 BLock of decatur that I dont think anyone has mentioned. There are sooooo many of these large 4 story buildings in this corner of the french quarter that are either vacant or have minimal retail on the first floor. If i'd have the money I'd buy them and renovate them but I'm sure the owners want millions bc they are such a huge chunk in a valuable part of town...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1770+t...5.57,,0,-18.59

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:04 PM

Quote:
The reason I ask is because extending Convention Center Boulevard to connect with S. Peters would definitely help ease traffic on Tchop, but maybe there is a reason the lot has to remain intact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
If they built a convention center like every other city does - one story above grade, with parking and loading docks beneath - then streets could extend through the site.
You all think so? I Like ardecila's idea, but unless you move the entrance to the port you'd still be funneling traffic back into a two lane at Felicity. It'll just add more lanes and signal phases to the mix. I guess you can always reopen the Louisiana and Napoleon gates, but you can bet uptown communters won't be happy if you can convince truckers to skip the truckway entrance.

It'll definitetly benefit anything that is developed between S. Peters and the river from the Convention Center to Wal-Mart. From there on it'll be tricky.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:07 PM

Convention Center

Quote:
Does anyone know what the plans are for the large plot of land next to the convention center? Are there plans for expanding the Convention Center? Will the block remain intact or be divided? The reason I ask is because extending Convention Center Boulevard to connect with S. Peters would definitely help ease traffic on Tchop, but maybe there is a reason the lot has to remain intact.

I'm always for restoring a street-grid wherever practical.
That land is owned by the convention center for their next phase of expansion (which someone just posted the rendering), but they are holding off due to the economy and instead spending the money on renovating the whole existing hall from the oldest pieces first to the newest which I personally think is a great move. Get everything up to date, designs, technology, internet, etc in the old hall and then consider expanding. It'd be terrible to have one new and one old, you know?

The plan for the land right now is to use it for small to medium sized open air festivals, etc. They had some hippie music fest there about a year ago.

Last edited by IceCream; Sep 21, 2011 at 2:08 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:13 PM

Kermit's clubs

Permit issue puts Ruffins’ plans for Mother-in-Law Lounge on ice

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...lounge-on-ice/

"The resurrection of K-Doe’s Mother-in-Law Lounge will have to wait until the first quarter of 2012, at the earliest.

Kermit Ruffins, who took over the building’s lease in January, said he hoped to reopen in time for Mardi Gras 2011. But the legendary club had been closed for more than six months, causing it to lose permission to operate as a nightclub..."

Photo by Frank Aymami

--------------------

Based on what he says, and I believe him, he's going to actually make great places to enjoy out of these bars. My whole life I've taken Basin to get leave the quarter and get on I-10 and hated the disgusting bars along Basin...hopefully this starts a real renassiance along that strip with legit music clubs and restaurants. I think I may actually feel safe going into Kermit's place....I doubt he'd let it be anything other than friendly to all.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:21 PM

HANO Budget

HANO approves $311 million budget

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...lion_budg.html

"Next year, the Housing Authority of New Orleans will spend $311 million to house low-income families and rebuild its storm-damaged, demolished or otherwise dilapidated apartments, according to a budget approved Tuesday by the agency's one-man board, David Gilmore. During the coming fiscal year, which starts Oct. 1, HANO is expected to assist roughly 22,500 families, about 14 percent of the city's households, mostly through Section 8 vouchers.....

- $28 million toward 168 more apartments and a child-education facility at Columbia Parc, the former St. Bernard public-housing development in Gentilly
- $19 million to complete 812 rental apartments at the mixed-income Lafitte in the 6th Ward
- $16 million to build 380 of the planned 410 rental apartments and other neighborhood infrastructure at Marrero Commons, the former B.W. Cooper in Central City
- $12 million for Guste in Central City to rehab the senior citizen high-rise and its 385 apartments, demolish 228 public housing units that have long been an eyesore and build 250 mixed-income apartments in their place
- $9 million for design, planning, outreach and relocation of the large-scale redevelopment of the Iberville development downtown
- Nearly $9 million for public housing remodeling
- $4 million for off-site homes and social services at Harmony Oaks, the former C.J. Peete in Central City
- $862,000 to complete 124 rentals and for-sale homes at the Fischer housing site on the West Bank...."

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:51 PM
-

Quote:
The permit says $6.3 million for 52 housing units. The whole project is supposed to be 240 units, so it looks like they're only building the lower building that curves around the corner in this phase. Still, it's a definite improvement. If anyone knows something more specific than my idle speculation, please say so.

There are actually two permits that are several million dollars each that I didnt post that dealt with the same parcel!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:56 PM
-

Also, does anyone know what project is going on in the 700 block of Magazine. They've been massively renovating this huge building. I can only assume it's condos but I dont think it's been mentioned on here:

This project is actually just restoring the previous warehouse back to pristine condition and then building two rather large commercial parcels that are carved out from the parking area. Should be nice when done!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:38 PM

Magazine Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

This project is actually just restoring the previous warehouse back to pristine condition and then building two rather large commercial parcels that are carved out from the parking area. Should be nice when done!
Commerical as in warehouse space or bar / restaurant / retail?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 5:35 PM

Michael Kors to open a boutique in Canal Place

"For months it’s been a not so well-kept secret, but now it’s official. Michael Kors is opening a store in New Orleans."

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 5:48 PM
-

Commercial as in whatever a potential tenant would want to do. I believe it is spec space and not being developed for any particular tenant, but I dont know for sure!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 6:02 PM
-

Quote:
Michael Kors to open a boutique in Canal Place

"For months it’s been a not so well-kept secret, but now it’s official. Michael Kors is opening a store in New Orleans."
Hes taking the old Jack Sutton space!

Permit application today for Barcadia/OHM
Record 11COM-01360 :

Commercial Change of Use
Work Location 601 TCHOUPITOULAS ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130

Project Description:
CONVERT VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACE TO RESTAURANT, TWO (2) BARS, AND PARTY ROOM AS PER PLANS AND HDLCP-11-
Job Value($):
$1,500,000.00Housing Units:

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 21, 2011 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 8:08 PM

J. Crew opening in Canal Place as well. Canal Place has seen a nice influx of new stores recently.

http://www.nola.com/fashion/index.ss...w_orleans.html

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 8:15 PM
-

Just got an email from 1031 Canal reminding that the vote is tomorrow around 2 pm. If you plan to attend be there for 1:45 and they will hand out shirts, Ill stop by since Im there tomorrow pulling permits anyway.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 8:36 PM

BioInnovation Dedication

Hey fellas, seems the BioInnovation Center is having its dedication tomorrow. I think they're going to be giving tours and the mayor will probably have a few words to say as well. It'll be from 10:00 a.m. to noon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations