HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 6:29 AM
April Melissa Sandever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
A new video of mine exploring the variety of film locations throughout southern B.C. This includes Victoria and the Island of course! Besides the movie clips all the shots are my own taken over the last few years:

Video Link
Awesome video! Also subscribed as well!

April Junior Website Manager @ SkyscraperPage

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 3:15 AM

Jeez, nearly a month without an update - miss our old buddies on here.

On Thursday city council voted 9-0 to approve a development permit application for 1050 Yates by Chard. All rental, 481 units, 25 and 15 storeys.

At first I thought it was a dogs breakfast, but on second thought, for an all rental development it’s more than half decent, has a ton of amenities, such as the usual dog run, rooftop bbq areas and the entire block length along Cook Street is a gym, with outdoor yoga areas and a block long running track. Better still is the high ceiling ground floor with restaurant and coffee shop space, plaza, etc. looks really good for pedestrian interest and interaction.

It’s on the site of the former Mazda dealership, on which there is the now completed firehall with affordable housing above. Across Cook street is Nest and Haven development nearing completion and across Yates street is Phase 1 of the Starlight development where prep work in underway for excavation. In fact on this Mazda site they’ve been busy drilling away to test soil conditions for a couple months.

1050 Yates Street - Victoria BC by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

1050 Yates Street - Victoria BC by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Immediately across the street is phase 1 of Starlight’s 1,500 rental unit development. 1050 Yates is at bottom, 2/3 to the right and not shown in this image - well, the old car dealership building is still there.

Source

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 5:14 PM
Rational urbanist

Thanks for sharing, really cool to see a pretty good looking modern "slab" building.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 7:28 PM

The developer claimed the fatscraper has the least shadow impact (it’s east/west facing) of different options looked at. Still, I would have preferred a common podium with two towers at the ends; although this design does allow for that massive block long rooftop fitness area.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 5:32 AM
April Melissa Sandever

It will be interesting to find out what the price of the units will be going for?

Happy Holiday's Y'all!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 3:03 AM

/\ Happy Post Holidays!

For those of you who don’t venture into the Canada section and check out the city photos section, here’s a few of my shots from December:

December wrap up - didn’t get out much as was a busy month and the short dark days are not motivating.

Victoria Avenue in Victoria BC. December 5, 2023. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Gonzales Beach High Tide - December 5, 2023 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Gonzales Beach High Tide - December 5, 2023 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Skeleton Claus House - Victoria BC. December 5, 2023 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Victoria Inner Harbour - December 23, 2023 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Canadian Pacific Lawn Bowling Club - December 23, 2023. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Telus Ocean Office Tower Construction - December 23, 2023 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Telus Ocean Office Tower Construction - December 23, 2023 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Broughton and Courtney Street - Victoria BC. December 23, 2023. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Humboldt Valley, Victoria. December 23, 2023. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Humboldt Valley, Victoria. December 23, 2023. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

December 31, 2023 - Victoria, 9:38 p.m. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 11:45 AM
Waste your time wisely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
/\ Happy Post Holidays!

For those of you who don’t venture into the Canada section and check out the city photos section, here’s a few of my shots from December:

December wrap up - didn’t get out much as was a busy month and the short dark days are not motivating.
Stunning shots as always Zoomer! It's always worth the wait for these photo dumps from both you and Scaper

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 3:52 PM

Yes amazing shots as always, such a treat to see your photos since I haven't been to Victoria for probably close to 15 years, ridiculous considering I'm in Vancouver.. So these pictures really capture a lovely essence and representation of the city. Not that I need to be convinced to visit, but these pictures sure don't hurt

I am always reminded at the subtle difference in climate between Victoria and Vancouver when I see your pics. The vegetation is just different enough that you can see the more Mediterranean influence, but I'm sure to the average viewer they couldn't clock the differences (and I'm not even sure I could spot the differences if I didn't know which city I was looking at, but something does seem slightly different). So weird how such a small distance over water can have that kind of climactic adjustment

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 3:17 AM
April Melissa Sandever

Absolutely outstanding photos! Would love to make a print of the Sticky Wicket in Blue!!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 7:49 AM

Thank you sincerely Mystical, Zahav and Apey

And yes, would be nice to see Great Scaper return with his pics - he is the Skyline King!

Apey, if you click on the Stickey Wicket pic it’ll take you to my Flickr page, and if you look around you should be able to find a link to download the original size (which is much bigger than above). Then with that you can have it printed online or if you take in your phone, etc. to London Drugs should be able to get it done. Anything I put on Flickr I have no problem with people using for non-commercial use as I’m not a pro or anything. That one is just a cell phone pic, so the print quality will be just ok.

Zahav - you need to get back to Victoria! Totally agree about the difference a slight change in climate makes, especially all along the coastline in Victoria. Here’s a few today from Victoria that’ll hopefully you’ll appreciate then.

Victoria BC - Plum Tree, January 7, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Root Cellar - Cook Street, Victoria. January 7, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Root Cellar - Cook Street, Victoria. January 7, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Dallas Road, Victoria BC. January 7, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Beacon Hill Park, Victoria. January 7, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Ross Bay, Victoria. January 7, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 6:24 AM
April Melissa Sandever

Sticky Wicket

@zoomer thanks for the premission to copy the photo from your Flicker account and where to get it blown up at London Drugs!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 8:33 PM

The Vic West project for 1,870 units was approved in a 7-2 vote. The roundhouse will be restored, and re-purposed, and there are nine buildings from 10 to 32 storeys.

victoriabuzz

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 5:50 AM

Very cool. Hopefully the architecture is impressive.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
The Vic West project for 1,870 units was approved in a 7-2 vote. The roundhouse will be restored, and re-purposed, and there are nine buildings from 10 to 32 storeys.

victoriabuzz
The NIMBYs have been defeated, thank God.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
the nimbys have been defeated, thank god.
"clap clap clap clap"

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 12:49 AM

Everybody. I’m so glad that the round house is going to be going ahead. That’ll add a lot of new people to Vic West. So sad they built that new bridge with only three lanes. Regarding weather Victoria gets a third of the rainfall Vancouver gets as well. I hope everyone has a great day…... 😀😀😀🎄

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 9:49 PM
April Melissa Sandever

Smile Round house project

I remember this project being talked about when me and my ex were together at the time living in Vic West over 18 years ago! So glad to see it Finally moving ahead, since residential living space is needed in Victoria!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 9:17 PM

I just wish they can also protect the existing railway corridor in perpetuity, as well as leave enough room around the area for a future train/tram station and even storage yard, etc. This can be very important not just for a good future commuter railway system to work, but also for intercity travel if at all possible.

Beautiful Victoria Railway Station:
Video of the glory days of yonder:
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 5:36 AM
April Melissa Sandever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I just wish they can also protect the existing railway corridor in perpetuity, as well as leave enough room around the area for a future train/tram station and even storage yard, etc. This can be very important not just for a good future commuter railway system to work, but also for intercity travel if at all possible.

Beautiful Victoria Railway Station:

Video of the glory days of yonder:
Video Link
Awesome video!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 5:44 AM

At one point a few years back the developers of the Roundhouse suggested they could include a station on their land if rail was revived. When the original Johnson Street bridge was replaced the decision was made to not include rail, so any route following this traditional path would not end right in downtown. That being said most believe commuter rail will first begin with a route up Douglas to Uptown. But that could be decades yet.

I should try and do more regular construction updates. So here's a small one to start with - Redfern condo on the Victoria side of Oak Bay Avenue is nearing completion. Hopefully the final touches will bring it closer to the render.

But before the pics, update on the two major projects at the corner of Yates and Cook, well three! The Nest (12 storey condo) and the Haven (six storeys) are nearing completion. 1050 Yates (25 and 15 storeys) the site of Pacific Mazda has a ton of crew now demolishing the old building - well, today at least the overhang for the service entry. Talked to a guy on site who said there is still asbestos to be removed in the main building and that excavation will take 20 MONTHS!

Across the street at the old Dodge Chrysler site they are busy building what appears to be covered walkways for the sidewalks. Not yet on the sidewalks, but on the site. They look to be getting close for excavation as well. This is phase 1, which will consist of 20 and 21 storey buildings.

The Redfern -1920 Oak Bay Ave. February 7, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia