Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 3:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Thomas_Koloski

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 5:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Comparison:

Credit: Thomas_Koloski

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 9:10 PM

Wow, if I didn't know better I'd think you cut and paste the render onto the real photo! It may be more of a lumbering stegosaurus than a bird in flight, but it is beautiful and so close to being done!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 1:29 AM

Based on renderings, i've haven't been a fan of the transit hub. However, I was in the neighborhood today for some errands. Upon seeing it in person, I have to say, it's magnificent. I'm a convert!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 7:34 AM

What kinds of errands were you in the neighborhood for?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 4:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

World Trade Center Oculus to open in March

Quote:
The white-marble main concourse at the Santiago Calatrava-designed, $4 billion World Trade Center Transportation Hub has been slated to open in early March, according to two knowledgeable sources.

The opening of the Oculus at the PATH train station — a steel-winged structure that's meant to evoke a bird — will mark the end of a more than decade-long process, one that has garnered scathing criticism for the project's cost overruns, and which damaged the designer's reputation.

The temporary PATH train station at the site now serves some 44,000 passengers making their way to and from New Jersey. The Port Authority, which made the decision on the timing of the Oculus opening, estimates the new hub will ultimately serve some 200,000 passengers and visitors. (By way of comparison, Penn Station serves 600,000.)

At roughly $4 billion, nearly twice the anticipated cost, it's considered the most expensive train station in the world. Then-Governor George Pataki said it would be operational by 2009.

he delays and ballooning price tag have been attributed to the complexity of the project, political imperatives, bureaucratic infighting, and the reality that some unrrelated cost overruns were shoehorned into the Calatrava budget.

More broadly, these sorts issues are also endemic to New York City megaprojects.

The bad press surrounding this particular project has taken its toll on Calatrava’s reputation.

“It has not been easy for me,” the Spanish architect told the Wall Street Journal in May, adding, "I have been treated like a dog."

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which controls the PATH train system and its soon-to-open Oculus at Ground Zero, declined comment.

Calatrava, who is in Zurich right now, could not be reached for comment.

Even after the March opening, some parts of the station will take a little while longer. The mall that’s set to occupy the Oculus’ base, for example, has been delayed by leaks.

Eataly, one of the hub’s retail tenants, is slated to open in spring, according to one of the sources.
==========================
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...lus-open-march

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 5:46 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
World Trade Center Oculus to open in March

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...lus-open-march
Or so they say.

With how many times the Hub (not to mention the rest of the WTC) has been delayed I'll believe the March opening only when it actually opens in March, and not a second earlier.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimumPx View Post
Or so they say.

With how many times the Hub (not to mention the rest of the WTC) has been delayed I'll believe the March opening only when it actually opens in March, and not a second earlier.
It would be nice if it was at least open before May 6th! My wife and I are visiting NYC for the first time. Looking forward to it - so it would be even more special if the hub was newly-opened when we are there.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 10:42 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Probably be delayed again knowing the incompetent PA...

Old Posted Dec 25, 2015, 4:47 AM
Walk taker

I lack pictures, but there is now a strip of metal sheeting that runs down the middle of the oculus. I hope it's not permanent - the sheeting was obviously not crafted to fit with the rest of the design, as the curvature is only achieved by joining straight pieces together. It looks cheap.

I have an awful suspicion that the seam of the skylights leak and now requires an emergency fix. It would certainly be a fitting problem for this long-suffering project. Does anyone have any ideas or input?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2015, 1:56 AM

Renders show a strip down the length of the skylight, very similar or even the same as what has been built.

Last edited by BoM Trespasser; Jan 1, 2016 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 1:28 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 7:55 PM

Sadly that ugly strip is permanent. It's the only way they're able to seal the glass (so they claim). Takes a beautiful sky light and puts an ugly stain right down the middle of it. Not surprising in the least considering what other horrors have been done to this design. It'll still look pretty spectacular though when it's completed and open so I'm not too disappointed.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 6:23 PM

The skylight strip is seen in all the renders. The only major departure from the exterior design that I can see are those supports piercing the rafters.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 9:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Confirmed: Calatrava’s WTC Transportation Hub Will Open First Week of March!

Quote:
The Port Authority has announced today in a press release that the World Trade Center Transportation Hub—anchored by architect Santiago Calatrava‘s Oculus–will open the first week of March. The hub will link the World Trade Center PATH station and “enable travelers to have a seamless connection with 11 New York City subway lines and the East River ferries in addition to access to PATH trains.”

There will be underground pathways to the Westfield mall shops located throughout the Spanish architect’s gull-winged structure (it has also been compared to a “rack of lamb”), which has caused controversy for being the most expensive train station in history at around $4 billion in construction costs–and for the fact that it was nearly six years behind schedule. The mall stores are scheduled to open in phases beginning this spring.

The station will be climate-controlled and feature state-of-the-art escalators and elevators. According to the Port Authority, when completed, the transportation hub will be the third largest transportation center in New York City, servicing 250,000 daily commuters.
http://www.6sqft.com/confirmed-calat...week-of-march/

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 8:23 PM

Yay.

Hopefully they start the dismantling of the old PATH entrance immediately after.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 6:28 PM
Astorian

February 20th, 2016

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 11:39 AM

- It will be nice to open up more of the fence line and have greater access to the memorial.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 1:31 PM

You can't take photos, but the new PATH station is already leaking. They have buckets all over the platform catching the drops. Ridiculous!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 1:32 PM

There is no way they're opening by March. I can sense the urgency of the contractors but they are still months away. It's going to be some BS partial open if they do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture