HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 9:38 PM
TL;DR

Why such a big crane for a small midrise? It seems like a very expensive move, especially when there is much open space at the back.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 9:42 PM

They used a similar large lufting crawler on the cool precast one that went up across the street, not quite as large as this though. I have a feeling this is a similar construction method, but they probably need a longer reach since this triangular site means the crane needs to cantilever way out to the corner from the back where it's set up.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
That rambly Brutalist Chase is actually pretty cool.
I do as much of my banking at this location as possible. This strip mall really isn't that bad, there is an awful lot of retail space for a lot that maybe holds 30 cars when full. If you are going to have auto oriented retail, a compact complex of stores like this is about as good as you are going to get. Who knows how long for this world this particular strip mall is, it suddenly feels really out of place sandwhiched in between 12, 10, and 6 floor buildings. Looks like this site should be cleared for an 8 story building to complete the step down from California.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Why such a big crane for a small midrise? It seems like a very expensive move, especially when there is much open space at the back.

Cool photo find. Didn't know what the other side looked like. Pretty disappointed with that though. I guess it's better than the parking facing the street.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 9:46 PM
TL;DR

Ah, you're right. If it's precast, that changes things. Big picks need a big crane.

I was assuming steel frame with metal siding.

Possibly the time savings/cost savings of the precast outweighs the added expense of the crane.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:

yeah the crane base is basically in the middle of that parking lot and can reach all the way to the south east corner of the lot, but man its BIG

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, agreed. We give bank branches a lot of shit because the site planning sucks so hard (especially in the city) but occasionally they really invest in good modernist architecture. All the below are in Chicagoland.
one of my favorites is the largely unheralded modernist gem of a building that is the Citibank on Ogden in Brookfield

theres even a mini-me drive through across the street

Last edited by Via Chicago; Apr 13, 2016 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 12:46 AM

No Modernist bank circle jerk is complete without Diamond Bank!

https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-blog...a-39346f170d91

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 3:46 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
one of my favorites is the largely unheralded modernist gem of a building that is the Citibank on Ogden in Brookfield
Thanks, that building sprang to mind but I couldn't remember where/which bank it was.

Lots of other great mid-century banks in the bungalow belt and inner suburbs as well, some of them gone by now.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 1:04 PM

Fulton Market lands another London hotel brand

Quote:
One of the developers behind Chicago's Soho House is bringing another London-based hotel brand to the city's Fulton Market district: the Hoxton.

Hoxton will open a 175-room hotel in an 11-story building that developer Jeff Shapack is set to build at Green and Lake streets in 2018, the hotel chain and the Chicago developer said.

The deal comes amid big changes for both the decade-old boutique hotel brand and the Chicago neighborhood west of the Kennedy Expressway.

Hoxton is currently only found in Europe, but is planning multiple U.S. hotels as part of a wave of expansion.

Fulton Market, meanwhile, is set to grow from 40 total hotel rooms to as many as 600-plus, if several planned projects come to fruition.

“The first Hoxton opened in Shoreditch, East London back in 2006 and since then we've been scouring the globe for areas and buildings located in cities that we love,” spokeswoman Julia Pearson said in an email. “We thought the emerging Fulton Market district was the perfect fit for the Hoxton brand as it has an incredible sense of community, is passionate about its neighbourhood restaurants and is attracting an interesting mix of technology and creative industries.”
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...arket-district

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 1:24 PM

That Citibank in Brookfield must be the inspiration for the new Chinatown library.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 1:26 PM

Ace Hotel still working below grade

I really had no idea how involved a below grade parking garage was. No wonder so many developers just slap up an ugly podium and are done with it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 3:59 PM

Fulton Market lands another London hotel brand

Here's a clearer rendering than we've seen so far, now part of the article:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that building sprang to mind but I couldn't remember where/which bank it was.

Lots of other great mid-century banks in the bungalow belt and inner suburbs as well, some of them gone by now.
this one in berwyn also comes to mind. a bit simpler, but love the funky artwork. i remember people calling it ugly over the years and wanted it taken down, its a miracle its survived in tact through countless owners

and the Chase on Lawrence for that matter

Last edited by Via Chicago; Apr 13, 2016 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

another cool one: Schipporeit-Heinrich's former banking rotunda at the base of chase tower in downtown evanston. it has subsequently been turned into a Lyfe Kitchen restaurant and lost some of its interior magic (though the spectacular radial pattern on the ceiling was preserved), but the miesian rotunda itself is still pretty damn cool from the outside. and at least the outdoor dining area of the restaurant now activates the formerly barren and windswept miesian plaza in the warmer months. when chase decided to abandon the banking rotunda years ago, there were actually some redevelopment plans floated that included demolishing/radically altering the rotunda and plaza area for new retail structures. i'm so glad the rotunda was saved mostly intact.

google streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0464...7i13312!8i6656

source: http://www.lyfekitchen.com/locations/il/evanston/

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 13, 2016 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 5:09 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon03 View Post
Ace Hotel still working below grade

I really had no idea how involved a below grade parking garage was. No wonder so many developers just slap up an ugly podium and are done with it.
Yeah, and the Gino's tower is still working on the below-grade levels, too, even though Ed's across the street started after it and has concrete above grade now.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 5:22 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
this one in berwyn also comes to mind. a bit simpler, but love the funky artwork. i remember people calling it ugly over the years and wanted it taken down, its a miracle its survived in tact through countless owners

and the Chase on Lawrence for that matter

So funny story: that green bank building in the top photo, on Oak Park Ave, I worked there as a bank teller when I was a teenager (16-20ish) memories..

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 5:33 PM

no kidding? grew up within a couple blocks of there.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 2:00 AM

Another favorite Midcentury bank of mine is the brutalist concrete, bronze glass, and green tile one on Irving Park just West of the Kennedy.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 2:08 PM
BANNED

700 W Fullerton

As part of the CMH McCafery project, work on the Nellie Black Building is supposed to begin in July. Scope involves complete demo of the existing building (sad) and salvaging of various ornamental features, including most of the 1st floor facade and the cornice (happy). Finished product will be 2-story underground parking and 7-story senior housing to match the look of the current building. Caisson work for the new structure is on track to begin in December.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development