HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 6:06 PM

According to a worker there yesterday. Cell 1 of the core has been topped out and cell 2-4 are next. In 2 weeks the core forms will come down. Yesterday they were removing the boom for the podium crane. Today they will remove mast sections.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
Every time they trash LA you just gotta say "so, how bout that rent?"
Every time they trash LA, remind them we have the better Pelli (The Pacific Design Center).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 12:26 AM

Wilshire Grand

What a beautiful building LA has.It's really pretty from the front. How tall is it now? Looking at it a few blocks down south it seems about 850-860 no?

SF has a nice one too. Let's be happy for them. Let's face it, if it were being planned here, we'd take it. The problem is, it's so big, where would we put it/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babypie View Post
what a beautiful building la has.it's really pretty from the front. How tall is it now? Looking at it a few blocks down south it seems about 850-860 no?

Sf has a nice one too. Let's be happy for them. Let's face it, if it were being planned here, we'd take it. The problem is, it's so big, where would we put it/
840'

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 12:47 AM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by upward 2000 View Post
840'
Thank you sir

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Thank you sir

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 5:17 AM

Quote:
The problem is, it's so big, where would we put it/
Well, the lot that Salesforce is on is 50k sq ft. After looking at ZIMAS, the parking lot at the corner of Figueroa and James Wood Blvd., behind Hotel Fig could almost fit TWO Salesforce towers. (It's 97k sq ft.)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
i believe it has to be. the core i think tops out around 840 feet, give or take. Now they'll take down the formwork, finish the last few floors of steel, then start on the sail. Were in for the home stretch. The glazing is making good time. they may have it near the top before the sail starts at this rate.

As an aside, I went over to the Salesforce Tower thread to see how that tower is progressing. They are OBSESSED with the Wilshire Grand. Theories about how Salesforce will add height and such abound. Its quite a shitshow over there. Its basically a few people actually talking bout the project interspersed with fanatics making up facts and insulting WG. Oh San Fran, gotta luv em.
What you failed to say is that the whole thing was basically started by a couple of LA fourmers trying to stir s@#*t up.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:00 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
What you failed to say is that the whole thing was basically started by a couple of LA fourmers trying to stir s@#*t up.
ohhkay...I'm SURE thats what happened....
I'm happy that SF is getting a lovely tower. That is all.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:24 PM

Quote:
LA fourmers you say! They have done a good enough job doing that on there own ever since they found out that a spire will be taller then there roof height. Then someone over there has been spreading rumors on a height increase!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 6:30 PM
:o

It's funny how SF forumers complain about the Wilshire's spire, but get excited at the thought of the transbay adding a structure to the top to boost it's height.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 12:06 AM

Who gives a shit which city has a taller tower? Do people really have no substance in their lives than to get hot and bothered over their city having a taller tower than another city? I couldn't care less. Some of these people are ridiculous and it shows.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan35 View Post
Who gives a shit which city has a taller tower? Do people really have no substance in their lives than to get hot and bothered over their city having a taller tower than another city? I couldn't care less. Some of these people are ridiculous and it shows.
It's more of a LA vs SF rivalry type thing.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack View Post
It's more of a LA vs SF rivalry type thing.
And we shouldn't fight because we both know west coast=best coast!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
And we shouldn't fight because we both know west coast=best coast!

Seriously. Whatever happened to California pride? Why can't we just be grateful that our lovely and beautiful state has not one but TWO world class cities.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 3:45 AM

Quote:
That is not what happened at all.

(They've been conspiring about the height for a while. In the middle of that, someone posted that Pelli's tower in Chile was the better version of the two towers. It was a reasonable opinion.)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 5:02 AM

it's not which city has the tallest but which fits in better and who has the better skyline. I think ours fits in a little better and has the superior verticality (in the front of the tower)

Of course, LA has three now between 859 - and 1, 017 whereas SF is getting their second over 800 '

LA almost had three over 900' but the original design (now so cal gas) named Grand Place with setbacks on one side and a dome at the top with steeples - at 67 stories (designed by Phillip Johnson), was completely re-designed and scaled down to a measly 52 stories and hardly noticeable at all

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:39 AM
:o

Quote:
Agreed.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 3:08 PM

The only thing I care about is whether or not there's public access to the top. WG will thanksfully have access, and US Bank will finally be getting an observation deck this summer.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Extactly! I'm equality excited and happy for both cities. This North - South rivalry is old and silly. I was raised in Southern California but live in Northern California right now so I don't get it. Anyway, yes I'm not making it up. Why come on this forum and say "hey guys they're trashing us over on the SF forum" if you not trying to stir more sh@t up here? Do you really imagine SF has an inferiority complex regarding LA, they dont. And why go over there and say "your tower is sh*t"? Just don't be trolling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive