HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Is that Optima Old Orchard on the horizon there?
Yep, that's it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 2:19 AM

Finkl Steel, Surrounding Properties Could Be Turned Into Homes, More: Ald

Quote:
We just took a huge step forward with the city's support," Hopkins said. "It was a major obstacle and we just cleared it."

Hopkins said the city's Department of Planning will formally announce its support Monday morning for scrapping the industrial zoning.

If the City Council approves the measure, it would be the first time the city has ever removed a Planned Manufacturing District designation.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...rcial-more-ald

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 3:49 AM
TL;DR

Thank God. What a dumb idea for that location. Hopefully with the zoning change all the industrial businesses will begin the slow process of relocating to parts of the city with better infrastructure and lower density (South Branch, Calumet etc).

Also glad to see that the alderman is supportive of a renovated Clybourn Metra stop. That station is really embarrassing.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 4:30 AM

Would be great to see a lot of density for this site. The only thing I am confused about is when the Alderman says "adding a CTA stop" may be one of the transportation changes. CTA stop where? Is the Alderman referring to the Ashland BRT plan or something else? Highly unlikely it would be a new 'L' branch, but it would be cool if it could happen.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 12:45 PM
The City

I just don't want to see power centers and big box stores. I'm glad the Alderman seems to feel the same way.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 4:36 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Would be great to see a lot of density for this site. The only thing I am confused about is when the Alderman says "adding a CTA stop" may be one of the transportation changes. CTA stop where? Is the Alderman referring to the Ashland BRT plan or something else? Highly unlikely it would be a new 'L' branch, but it would be cool if it could happen.
Might be the Ashland BRT. One of the alternatives for the Circle Line showed BRT running east on North, but I suppose they could run it easy on Cortland instead.

But probably just improved bus service, like maybe a dedicated circulator bus running between either the Brown Line Armitage stop or even Clark/Armitage and the Western stop on the Blue Line.

One of the Circle Line alternatives came close, turning east at about North Ave - if that plan was ever revived, I suppose they could let it go north a few more blocks from North Ave to Cortland before cutting over the Clybourn, which would make a Finkl site subway station a possibility.

Last edited by emathias; Apr 4, 2016 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 4:39 PM

Pehaps he meant a brownline stop at Willow/Shefield/Clybourn? That would be the only location in that area for a CTA stop. But that's on a curve and the redline entrance portal is right under it. Would it be harder to put a stop on a curve?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 5:53 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Pehaps he meant a brownline stop at Willow/Shefield/Clybourn? That would be the only location in that area for a CTA stop. But that's on a curve and the redline entrance portal is right under it. Would it be harder to put a stop on a curve?
Curve stations are possible but not really desirable. I don't think it would really be any closer to Finkl than the Armitage stop is already anyway.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 6:02 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...cts-in-chicago

Crain's story makes it clear that the city isn't just thinking about this one PMD.

A seismic shift in the city's zoning philosophy....one greatly for the better I think.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 7:21 PM
TL;DR

Thank goodness. The South Branch/Pilsen PMD should allow retail at the very least. North Branch and Kinzie PMDs should mostly disappear east of Ashland, except for Goose Island...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 7:24 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Curve stations are possible but not really desirable. I don't think it would really be any closer to Finkl than the Armitage stop is already anyway.
Cta's extremely short cars make curved stations doable with acceptable platform gaps, just not preferable, and would be avoided unless there was absolutely no other siting alternative.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Thank goodness. The South Branch/Pilsen PMD should allow retail at the very least. North Branch and Kinzie PMDs should mostly disappear east of Ashland, except for Goose Island...
There is going to be a total development feeding frenzy as probably more than half of the city's total population of historic loft warehouses are marooned in PMD zoning. There are large blocks of PMD in the West Loop and South Loop that would also be excellent targets for de-PMDization.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
There is going to be a total development feeding frenzy as probably more than half of the city's total population of historic loft warehouses are marooned in PMD zoning. There are large blocks of PMD in the West Loop and South Loop that would also be excellent targets for de-PMDization.
I would love to see the buildings along Pershing in the CMD redeveloped into live/work lofts, then marketed to creatives in expensive coastal cities.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 11:50 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I would love to see the buildings along Pershing in the CMD redeveloped into live/work lofts, then marketed to creatives in expensive coastal cities.
I wouldn't mind having a north-facing loft overlooking McKinley Park.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I wouldn't mind having a north-facing loft overlooking McKinley Park.
Vastly underrated park and neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
Vastly underrated park and neighborhood.
La Palapa is amazing, but I honestly don't know much about the neighborhood besides the makeup of it, the park, and La Palapa.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 1:49 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Well... not every loft needs to go residential. Kinzie Corridor is full of great old warehouses that play host to creative businesses and light industrial. New ideas require old buildings, as Jane Jacobs pointed out.

On the other hand, most in-city Metra stops are in or near PMDs, so those areas should definitely have the option to go residential. Industrial corridors are one of the few options we have to develop continuous density without much neighborhood opposition.

I'm more offended by the scrap yards and actual health hazards next to dense neighborhoods, plus the fact that PMDs have been perverted into "big box retail" zoning, as in the awful WM Wrigley demolition at Ashland and 35th...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:17 PM

I was going to ask if anyone had been by the Fifield project on Chicago Avenue, just as I came across this picture and realized it shows the building bordering it: https://twitter.com/chicagopatterns/...09196168192000

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Cta's extremely short cars make curved stations doable with acceptable platform gaps, just not preferable, and would be avoided unless there was absolutely no other siting alternative.
The Loyola Red Line station is on a curved section of track, but it's a pretty big radii.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:52 PM

Its still curved a little when you get off northbound in the first car

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development