HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 8:42 PM

830 N Milwaukee

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 9:06 PM

Belmont / Western Overpass

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 9:24 PM

2211 N. Milwaukee Ave "Logan Square L"

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 10:47 AM

Brooklyn Bowl

3/22 - from the Green line

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:34 PM

Cedar Street is renovating the Uptown Aon building at 5050 N. Broadway (ie. across from Sun Wah): http://nunablockclub.com/wp-content/...N-Broadway.pdf

I could be misreading, but it says there's a new construction 7-story building involved. It looks like micro-apartments.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Cedar Street is renovating the Uptown Aon building at 5050 N. Broadway (ie. across from Sun Wah): http://nunablockclub.com/wp-content/...N-Broadway.pdf

I could be misreading, but it says there's a new construction 7-story building involved. It looks like micro-apartments.
On that note, I'd love to see Broadway in Uptown become a dense arterial lined with TOD along the red line stops. In my opinion, the second biggest area of opportunity for this type of development on the north side besides all the strip malls near the Diversey brown line.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Good news. It'll be nice to see something done with the current eyesore.

----

Other Fulton Market developments

-920 W Fulton is being shopped around for retail/office

Thor has invested heavily in this area for a number of retail/office rehab projects , including:
942 W Fulton

905 W Fulton

226 N Peoria

222 N Peoria

820 W Fulton
Woah. Thanks for sharing. The transformation in this area has been crazy to watch.

I presume you guys have seen the CDOT plans for Fulton? Flex street (curbless design except for existing raised docks) from Green to Morgan, custom furniture, cobblestone paving, construction starting next spring.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post

I went to Uptown Update to learn more about it and they said there's going to be a community meeting (Monday, March 28, 6:30PM, Furama Restaurant, 4936 N. Broadway) for the project.

More importantly, it says Cedar St. is proposing 710 units, which will be composed of 107 affordable units. This seems like very big news for Uptown, especially for Argyle St.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 6:35 PM

Bucktown Aldi has closed temporarily to make way for new TOD project.

Last edited by ithakas; Mar 25, 2016 at 6:35 PM. Reason: Please move to General Developments.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 6:42 PM
The City

^ Wrong thread, but I'm really happy to see this happen.

It's actually better than losing a parking lot, as a suburban style retail site with a solid tenant is usually generating a lot of revenue and thus harder to redevelop

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Wrong thread, but I'm really happy to see this happen.

It's actually better than losing a parking lot, as a suburban style retail site with a solid tenant is usually generating a lot of revenue and thus harder to redevelop
I'm hoping the CVS a little farther up Milwaukee is next. The store itself is pretty outdated so I'm optimistic.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 6:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Woah. Thanks for sharing. The transformation in this area has been crazy to watch.

I presume you guys have seen the CDOT plans for Fulton? Flex street (curbless design except for existing raised docks) from Green to Morgan, custom furniture, cobblestone paving, construction starting next spring.
The cobbled paving is only at intersections, right? Like this?

I still like the flush curbs though. CDOT should also encourage owners to put in canopies over the sidewalks...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The cobbled paving is only at intersections, right? Like this?

I still like the flush curbs though. CDOT should also encourage owners to put in canopies over the sidewalks...
Exactly like that. There are existing cobblestones under the asphalt on Fulton now. They will excavate, clean and re-set in the intersections. There had been some discussion of doing cobbles in the entire street, but it's expensive and difficult to make existing/reused cobbles ADA compliant. (They want the street to be ADA compliant so they can easily use it for farmers markets and festivals)

Agreed about the canopies, and I think the existing ones will remain since the buildings are landmarked. Hopefully architects pick up on this and include these features in new designs too.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 10:41 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I went to Uptown Update to learn more about it and they said there's going to be a community meeting (Monday, March 28, 6:30PM, Furama Restaurant, 4936 N. Broadway) for the project.

More importantly, it says Cedar St. is proposing 710 units, which will be composed of 107 affordable units. This seems like very big news for Uptown, especially for Argyle St.
I think this project is being designed by Booth Hansen, so hopefully it looks pretty good too.

---
Loyola University - Hampton Inn
Panorama of Albion and Sheridan, hotel construction at 1209 West Albion by Justin Haugens, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

I wonder how many people currently work in that building. The loss of lunch-time business could be pretty bad for businesses along Broadway/Argyle, especially with the ongoing streetscape work.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 2:32 PM
MPLSXCHI

Hopefully developers can stop putting so much parking in buildings now...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...325-story.html

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 3:23 PM

Morgan / Fulton

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 4:15 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Hopefully developers can stop putting so much parking in buildings now...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...325-story.html
One of the things that would help this perception of parking shortage is to increase the supply of street parking. For example, I'm really pissed at this new trend of ALL DAY permit parking. It's horrible. I can understand permit parking from 6pm to 6am, but how about leaving it alone during the business hours?

Also, there are too many "spot" permit spaces. What a bunch of corrupt nonsense.

The city should:

1. eliminate all spot permit parking
2. eliminate all day permit parking and only allow 6pm-6am
3. install more paid street parking, perhaps even in residential areas that are adjacent to commercial strips
4. consider converting street parking in many commercial strips to perpendicular (or diagonal) parking spots so as to fit more spaces in. This also has the effect of traffic calming and road dieting, but at a much cheaper price than widening sidewalks and repaving streets.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 4:54 PM

Financial and Harrison 3/26

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 4:55 PM
The City

^ So much development going on that I can't keep track of things any more. What's going up there again?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development