HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 5:20 PM

I didn't know Whataburger got bought out 3 years ago. That's probably why I don't like it as much and don't see why people rave about it so much. I might go get it right now as it's lunch time...

My usual In N Out order is either:
- Double double with grilled onions/animal style and FRIED mustard. (I found out about this on TikTok. Pretty good!)
- 2 Flying Dutchman's with grilled onion and fried mustard. Put this over your fries and you basically have something like carne asada fries lmao

and I usually get light well done fries. Well done is too hard and regular fries can be soggy. But overall, In N Out fries is below mid.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 7:56 PM

I haven't thought much of Whataburger for much longer than 3 years. Austin is supposed to have some of the worst Whataburgers in Texas, but I've had them in other cities and not been impressed either. I'm not really into fast food burgers though. When I want something fast I prefer a sub of some kind. When I want a burger I go for quality gourmet ingredients like Hopdoddy, the late Hut's, or the kind of thing you get at a brewpub or more upscale restaurant.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 8:24 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Whataburger's new (limited time) chili burger is pretty good. Be warned, though, it's a slab of food. lol
I had high hopes, but the corn chips get kinda soggy quick.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 8:26 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I haven't thought much of Whataburger for much longer than 3 years. Austin is supposed to have some of the worst Whataburgers in Texas, but I've had them in other cities and not been impressed either. I'm not really into fast food burgers though. When I want something fast I prefer a sub of some kind. When I want a burger I go for quality gourmet ingredients like Hopdoddy, the late Hut's, or the kind of thing you get at a brewpub or more upscale restaurant.
A couple years ago, I found a really amazing Whataburger. But it's in freakin' Donna.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 8:50 PM

I ate lunch at WAB in Corpus a few weeks ago, the one near Snoopy's, not good at all. Service is always good though. The one next to Outback in Round Rock is still the best imo, but there's still hundreds of thousands I haven't been to yet.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I ate lunch at WAB in Corpus a few weeks ago, the one near Snoopy's, not good at all. Service is always good though. The one next to Outback in Round Rock is still the best imo, but there's still hundreds of thousands I haven't been to yet.
I worked at that WAB in 1986, if you are talking about the one on the island as you drive away from Flour Bluff. It was brand new then. I had to have pull to get the job. $3.35/hr.

Good times. Fun FACT....I made the best looking burger in the history of Whataburger. Mine looked exactly like the photos.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 12:11 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I had high hopes, but the corn chips get kinda soggy quick.
I didn't give it time for that to happen.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I worked at that WAB in 1986, if you are talking about the one on the island as you drive away from Flour Bluff. It was brand new then. I had to have pull to get the job. $3.35/hr.

Good times. Fun FACT....I made the best looking burger in the history of Whataburger. Mine looked exactly like the photos.
If Flour Bluff is just passed the causeway, then yes. Love that area. We stayed at the Gulf Shores Condos this year, next year, Mustang Tower.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 12:38 PM

The Independent seems to be doing something new with its lighting lately. Yesterday I noticed a purple effect that seemed to "scroll" across the crown, and today it's been doing something that looks like the flashing light in the sky from a lightning strike. The Austonian also had a "scrolling" effect today with half orange and half purple lights for halloween.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 2:07 PM

Yesterday morning the crown on the Independent was glowing green and kinda fading in and out in waves. I figured it was a Halloween thing.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 2:26 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Yesterday morning the crown on the Independent was glowing green and kinda fading in and out in waves. I figured it was a Halloween thing.

I like it.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 2:57 PM
randalls

Random, but I found this Vox video about Mass Timber construction on youtube I thought you guys might like.

Specifically the construction of the world's largest mass timber tower being built in Milwaukee (of all places) right now.

Found it to be pretty interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qry7AmdIn8

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:15 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalls View Post
Random, but I found this Vox video about Mass Timber construction on youtube I thought you guys might like.

Specifically the construction of the world's largest mass timber tower being built in Milwaukee (of all places) right now.

Found it to be pretty interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qry7AmdIn8
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The Whataburger on Anderson Lane in my neighborhood used to be great. The last couple of times I tried their burgers, they were cold and dry, with sparse lettuce and tomato. The worst food I've ever had.

Last time I was in Houston, I ate at the Whataburger on Holcombe by the medical center. It was just about as bad as the one here in Austin in my neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 3:46 AM

I haven't been to many Whataburgers, despite living in Texas most of my life... never had something there that would particularly bring me back.

But I was in one at breakfast recently, because I could walk to it from where my car was being worked on (71 near Menchaca. No one should ever go there with Dan's so close.) There was a group of obvious young tech workers there, with their 40-something boss treating them on some kind of required outing. First, Whataburger messed up their orders and several people had to wait while their correct orders were made. Then the boss was like, "What do you think? is it all I said it would be?" Which, of course, they all had to say yes they loved it, maybe a lot of them were from other states... but it was pretty cringe-worthy.

At this point you might be asking, well why didn't I go to Dan's? I'll tell you why. Because I was going to just order coffee and sit there loitering while my car was worked on. I thought the corporate chain could absorb my not-so-profitable presence better.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 2:48 PM

I recently came across this trailer for American Truck Simulator’s new map of Texas. They did a good job capturing the Austin skyline, and the completed (backwards facing) Sixth and Guadalupe can be seen at 1:33.

https://youtu.be/cMSEm-dbTCQ

Last edited by lonestar0226; Nov 7, 2022 at 2:51 PM. Reason: misspelled

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:23 PM

Weird question: when must a project come before the Design Commission? I follow most of the commissions' agendas closely and Zoning and Platting gets most of the action by far, followed by Planning, and Design (Historical Landmark is all over the place). So I'm not sure why the same project might hit ZaP, but not touch Design, and still get to break ground.

(Design cancelled their November meeting due to lack of agenda items and that seems wild considering that we know of so many projects that might need to be seen.)

(I also fully understand that action items for one commission will be solved differently and in different amounts of time.)

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Weird question: when must a project come before the Design Commission? I follow most of the commissions' agendas closely and Zoning and Platting gets most of the action by far, followed by Planning, and Design (Historical Landmark is all over the place). So I'm not sure why the same project might hit ZaP, but not touch Design, and still get to break ground.

(Design cancelled their November meeting due to lack of agenda items and that seems wild considering that we know of so many projects that might need to be seen.)

(I also fully understand that action items for one commission will be solved differently and in different amounts of time.)
Design Commission has an advisory review of public projects and Downtown Density Bonus projects only. With the update of the Urban Design Guidelines and the spread of density bonus programs, there is a push to have the guidelines and reviews apply more broadly throughout the city, but Council would have to pass a resolution to that effect.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 4:19 PM

Happy Friday everyone! Hope you're all doing great. Have a fun, relaxing and safe weekend!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Happy Friday everyone! Hope you're all doing great. Have a fun, relaxing and safe weekend!
Cheers! Same to you!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin