HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 12:35 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ There's actually three TOD projects in the works at Logan Square, two of which haven't been discussed much here...
Speaking of Blue Line TODs, the "L" project and Milwaukee and Talman is starting to get cladding.

From the rendering, I always assumed this would be precast. I can't tell exactly, but it looks like zinc shingles. These guys don't mess around.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 1:06 AM

Construction kicked off on Michigan Ave Apple Store.

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...e-apple-store/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Speaking of Blue Line TODs, the "L" project and Milwaukee and Talman is starting to get cladding.

From the rendering, I always assumed this would be precast. I can't tell exactly, but it looks like zinc shingles. These guys don't mess around.

Go check out the TOD on Haddon and Milwaukee, same thing but on a larger percentage of the facade. They sure have a formula down quickly for these buildings. Providing some of that nice midrise filler everyone was just lamenting we lack.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 3:02 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...-of-its-garage

Lakeview Intelligentsia Building Sells For $5.7M, Losing Most Of Its Garage
By Ariel Cheung | March 15, 2016

The building home to Intelligentsia Coffee and four other businesses sold for $5.7 million last month, and two floors of its parking garage will be converted into apartments.

Good news for Lakeview coffee lovers: None of the retail units at 3115 N. Broadway are expected to close, said Maureen Martino, executive director of the Lakeview East Chamber of Commerce.
Ugh is this ugly:

---
In other news, apparently BJB intends to start work on the Walgreens project on Broadway and Diversey soon, 508 W Diversey may also start soon, and the former BoA branch on Diversey will be reclad for another tenant(s). The Market Place redevelopment will now be 8 stories.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 3:16 AM

^ That's so bad. The Broadway/Diversey Walgreens project - how many stories is that supposed to be again? That project will be great from a density perspective.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 5:23 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ That's so bad. The Broadway/Diversey Walgreens project - how many stories is that supposed to be again? That project will be great from a density perspective.
8 floors according to the last plans shown to the public (although I think the design has changed a little): http://www.44thward.org/lincoln-park-plaza/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
For something different - Whole Foods just announced that they were going to build a facility (not a store) in Pullman next to the Method facility, with 150 new jobs. Method's facility has 100 jobs, and the CTA announced last week that it was going to be building some of the 800+ new train cars a few miles south of that in Pullman.

Good news - wonder how the real estate/apartment market will go in that area for all the new workers. Great to see.
Welcome news indeed

Thanks for the update

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
Construction kicked off on Michigan Ave Apple Store.

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...e-apple-store/
You know, the folks over at the Chicago Architecture blog never appeared to me to be the sharpest tools in the shed...

from as far as I can tell, the photos posted do not show work on the Apple store, but rather continuing work to replace the pavers in the plaza...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 2:05 PM

Anyone else notice there has been zero movement since demolition on the town homes that were supposed to go in where the XO Development was being proposed? Construction was supposed to start in spring 2015. Any chance the developer might be reconsidering a higher density option?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
You know, the folks over at the Chicago Architecture blog never appeared to me to be the sharpest tools in the shed...

from as far as I can tell, the photos posted do not show work on the Apple store, but rather continuing work to replace the pavers in the plaza...

The Apple Store does have a permit to build the foundation, so you never know.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
8 floors according to the last plans shown to the public (although I think the design has changed a little): http://www.44thward.org/lincoln-park-plaza/
Thanks. Actually I kind of like the 8 story building. Not perfect, but it's a little different for the area. Definitely better than what's there now too. Chicago needs more 8-15 story developments to be honest.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Anyone else notice there has been zero movement since demolition on the town homes that were supposed to go in where the XO Development was being proposed? Construction was supposed to start in spring 2015. Any chance the developer might be reconsidering a higher density option?
They are just finishing up the sales center which should be opening by the end of the month. They are building a few of the same townhouses across from 1841 S Calumet so they may be trying to sell some of those before starting on the larger lot on Prairie. The ones on Calumet are all framed up and have windows in.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 5:36 PM

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Well I'll just reiterate what I said a few days ago. Columbus could be removed completely with little to no traffic impact. Quit fuckin around, get the dozers and rip it up. No one will miss it and will make a huge impact on unifying and predestrianizing Grant.
I agree 100% on this. It's like the first comment I hear out everyone with an idea to improve the park. Traffic is always light so I don't see the point of keeping it around.

If they get rid of Columbus they could more easily hold festivals with a paver plaza and new utilities to service the events. I think someone commented awhile back on the usage of existing streets for festivals, but that's not true. It's actually the traffic that interferes with event planning. That's why the streets gotta go.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I agree 100% on this. It's like the first comment I hear out everyone with an idea to improve the park. Traffic is always light so I don't see the point of keeping it around.

If they get rid of Columbus they could more easily hold festivals with a paver plaza and new utilities to service the events. I think someone commented awhile back on the usage of existing streets for festivals, but that's not true. It's actually the traffic that interferes with event planning. That's why the streets gotta go.
I suggest you try to navigate the area on any of the many summer days when Columbus is closed for various events. The entire South Loop is nothing but one giant example of total gridlock. It would be like that every day!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 7:35 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

^yeah not so much

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 8:17 PM

Yea, how about putting in a proper beer garden, with pavers lots of picnic tables, more trees, and plantings.They could make it near the petrillio band shell. It could be like a downtown ravinia. Instead of going to Highland Park city residents could go to Grant Park.

On the map the whole size of ravinia looks like it fits in the area where petrillio is. Close off Jackson, and add nice looking permanent structures for food and drink vendor. It could be really nice with some thought put into it
Or how about a rose garden like at the Chicago Botanic Gardens too?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Yea, how about putting in a proper beer garden, with pavers lots of picnic tables, more trees, and plantings.They could make it near the petrillio band shell. It could be like a downtown ravinia. Instead of going to Highland Park city residents could go to Grant Park.
people already do the picnic/concert thing at Pritzker

speaking of beer gardens/live music though, its my eternal dream that someday someone will re-create Midway Gardens

Last edited by Via Chicago; Mar 18, 2016 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 9:03 PM

^ all it would need is a level one trauma center and a built-in bond court

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 10:44 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
I suggest you try to navigate the area on any of the many summer days when Columbus is closed for various events. The entire South Loop is nothing but one giant example of total gridlock. It would be like that every day!
It's gridlock because a lot more people are coming into the area, not because Columbus is closed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development