HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 2:40 AM

We have a new July fence-line to look forward to:

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 12:42 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 5:49 AM

When will this be completed again? Are they still on track for 2015?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 4:34 PM
weidncol

For the most part, yes

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 12:31 AM

how cool would it be if those major fierce-lookin' porcupine spikes . . .
were painted a distressed rusty iron color ala mad max . . .

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 6:48 AM
BANNED

..I see a bird,not a porcupine!..maybe should you stuck on your Pkaystation if you can't appreciate a piece of art...

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemeroscopium View Post
..I see a bird,not a porcupine!..maybe should you stuck on your Pkaystation if you can't appreciate a piece of art...
We will not speak ill of gamers on this most holy of weeks, when the E3 conference expo is being held.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 6:01 PM

So what will be put in place of the Temp PATH station? The performing arts center?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 12:30 AM

It's usually "both - and" . . . rather than "either - or" . . .
It can be both bird and porcupine - 'cause it's really a wild-ass building.
Nothing wrong with a wild-ass porki . . . wait that's a pig.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
So what will be put in place of the Temp PATH station? The performing arts center?
Actually, PATH station is right next to WTC. This is where they will be at, but there is no temporary station. Also, WTC NYC subway station won't be reopened in 2018. Because of events 9/11 attacks. They got a lots of damaged when the old WTC is collapsed.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Actually, PATH station is right next to WTC. This is where they will be at, but there is no temporary station. Also, WTC NYC subway station won't be reopened in 2018. Because of events 9/11 attacks. They got a lots of damaged when the old WTC is collapsed.
The temporary terminal was built in 2003 and the entrance was relocated to Vessey Street next to 1 WTC in 2008. The temporary terminal is now closed as all trains are using the new and final terminal platforms. The temporary entrance on Vessey will be closed once the full PATH terminal open later this year.

The original design called for a performing arts center to be built where the current temporary entrance is. There has been no real progress on this though so I am highly doubtful it'll ever see the light of day. We'll probably just get an extended plaza for a while.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 8:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New Looks Inside Calatrava's $4B World Trade Center Oculus

==============================
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...ter_oculus.php

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 5:00 PM

According to the WTC Progress twitter account, all glass has been installed between the columns and skylight installation is proceeding nicely. Things are looking on schedule to open the concourse hallways to pedestrian traffic in a few weeks.

They built out the lobby to 2WTC where it'll connect to the PATH terminal already. You can look in through locked doors. Polished marble and signs are all in place. I wonder what effect Ingels new tower will have on this. Knowing the Port Authority, they'll tear it all out and rebuilt at tax payers cost.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 3:23 PM

The memorial trees on the north side of north pool, whose growth had been negatively affected due to winds whipping the chlorinated pool water onto them, have they been replaced?

There used to be a distinct lack of leaves on some of these trees, and now today, all of a sudden, there are lush green trees in place. I think I see a barricade near these trees? Can anyone confirm?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 5:23 PM

I walk around the memorial every other week since I work nearby. Those trees still look in bad shape but they have sprouted a lot of leaves this year unlike last year. A lot of the leaves are growing close to the base of their branches rather than at the edges. The branches closest to the pool seem stunted but the trees now have plenty of foliage.

I think they reduced the chlorine in the pools. The water now looks much more greenish and there's less of a chlorine smell when the wind whips up the water onto the northern edge of the north pool. Is seems to happen a lot even on quiet days. It's probably a combination of wtc1 being so close and the wind coming off the Hudson. I wonder if having wtc2 there will help or make the situation worse.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 5:43 PM

^No they just replaced several of those trees along the north pool, earlier cam footage confirms this.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 7:00 PM

So beautiful. I love the rib cage (what I assume is a) transit station entrance. The infinity pools are a perfect somber tribute. I look forward to visiting it one day.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 4:11 PM
Frequent Lurker

Retractable Skylight in World Trade Center Oculus Takes Final Form
By David W. Dunlap
New York Times
July 19, 2015
Link to original article

Quote:
Santiago Calatrava said the roof would open.

And evidently it will.

On Friday morning, a 5,700-pound glass panel was hoisted into place as a 355-foot-long operable skylight took final form in the Oculus pavilion of the World Trade Center Transportation Hub, designed by Mr. Calatrava. Another panel went up in the afternoon.

Those are among the last of 996 pieces of blast-resistant glass to have been installed at the Oculus since March 15. The glazing should be finished on Monday, said Steven Plate, director of World Trade Center construction for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which is building the $3.9 billion rail, subway and shopping hub.

The winged Oculus is by far the most conspicuous element in the hub, which is nearing completion after 10 years.

The wings of Santiago Calatrava’s PATH terminal were meant to be retractable, but officials decided to leave them immobile.Soaring Design for Ground Zero Transit Hub Is Trimmed Back

Each Sept. 11, the skylight will be opened to the elements for 102 minutes, Erica Dumas, a spokeswoman for the authority, said. That is how long the 2001 terrorist attack lasted, from the time the first jetliner hit the trade center at 8:46 a.m. until the collapse of the second tower at 10:28 a.m. In the towers, on the ground and in the hijacked planes, 2,753 people were killed.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
^No they just replaced several of those trees along the north pool, earlier cam footage confirms this.
I know all the trees were grown on a farm together then transported to the site. The trees live in enclosed pots which are electronically monitored to track the health of the trees. It would make sense for them to have raised a bunch of replacements. Do you think they took the weak trees to go be rehabilitated?

Also, with the final skylight in place, does that mean the terminal is sealed from the elements for the first time in nearly 14 years?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 8:25 PM
BANNED

This doesn't quite answer your question, unless you know exactly how many trees were planted at the Memorial, but a good read nonetheless.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...l_at_grou.html

I actually picked up an acorn last fall and preserved it over the winter. I planted it on my property in southern Wisconsin and I now have a WTC sapling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture