HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 7:19 PM

Sure, why not, add "tip % included in meal purchase price" in the menu, take it out of the equation. You may be on to something.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 9:11 PM

Yeah the reality of the situation is, if you don't like tipping or don't like tipping a lot, and think we should get rid of it, fine. But then expect your $20 to be $28 because you're going to need to pay those servers higher wages. No person is going to sit there and be put through the torture of serving that some people put you through for $12-14 an hour. And it's usually the most demanding, rude people who are the ones that don't tip anyway.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah the reality of the situation is, if you don't like tipping or don't like tipping a lot, and think we should get rid of it, fine. But then expect your $20 to be $28 because you're going to need to pay those servers higher wages. No person is going to sit there and be put through the torture of serving that some people put you through for $12-14 an hour. And it's usually the most demanding, rude people who are the ones that don't tip anyway.
This is actually how it works in most of the world. Restaurants pay waiters a fair wage and build it into the prices charged to patrons.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Not quite...He's responding to this post...

We're not talking about cheap tippers, the fact is not everyone in this or any other City is and Engineer or Architect? ( no offense intended to high income earners).. Don't eat out if you can only tip a buck or 2 is the jist of the response...
is that so bad? It's cold, but perhaps true...

If $18 is affordable to you but $20 isn't, then perhaps $18 isn't affordable anymore. But, save up aside for special moments.

Friends have asked me "which car do I buy? this one is less practical, but this one drinks more fuel I don't think I can afford all the gas. Both cost $25k"

"Buy a car worth $20k".

That said, I think that Winnipeggers have a very low perspective of their own wealth, because it turns out we all have thirsty trucks, snowmobiles, pay thousands to put our kids in hockey and all have a cabin at a lake... but going out for dinner is expensive.

That might simply be a reflection of our priorities, and is totally cool... because I like being outdoors yet have no interest in saving up for a cabin. I like a good dinner instead (ironically a far worse investment over time).

Others who don't have all those things still measure the affordability of a meal by what the whole of Winnipeg does... and a chunk of the whole of Winnipeg has all those toys. So a $15+ meal is expensive just because...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This is actually how it works in most of the world. Restaurants pay waiters a fair wage and build it into the prices charged to patrons.
Ok, but good luck being the first restaurant to charge $22 for a caesar salad with no protein.

And yeah, agree with you Wolf^

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
But then in those parts of the world, food service is a career and not something you do while in post secondary education or because you are between jobs. I have seen pictures of restaurants in Europe, and they have staff in there 50's and 60's serving tables and have made a living doing that for years.

Here in Winnipeg your are lucky to see a manager in their 40's running a place, never mind a server that old. Especially if its a chain type restaurant.

The only older staffer you may see there is the Franchisee on the rare day he/she decides to stop in.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
But then in those parts of the world, food service is a career and not something you do while in post secondary education or because you are between jobs. I have seen pictures of restaurants in Europe, and they have staff in there 50's and 60's serving tables and have made a living doing that for years.

Here in Winnipeg your are lucky to see a manager in their 40's running a place, never mind a server that old. Especially if its a chain type restaurant.

The only older staffer you may see there is the Franchisee on the rare day he/she decides to stop in.
Yeah you really only see older career-servers here regularly at the "high-class" steak house type paces like 529, Hy's, Blue Marble, etc.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
is that so bad? It's cold, but perhaps true...
It is pretty cold, being required to pay 15-20% is difficult for some. Let's just disagree and move on.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 5:40 PM

Ok, but that 15-20% would then be included in the price of the meal, so that would make it out of the question anyway.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Ok.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 12:45 PM

Finally made it down to Cibo last night. What a beautiful space!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 1:57 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

We almost stopped in for a drink there at around 9.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 4:59 PM

Went to Close Co. on Stafford over the weekend. Cool place!

Awesome drinks. Sure the food is good as well, but wasn't hungry. Tiny space, maybe room for 10 people, 12 if you cram together.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 5:42 PM

^Went there a while back, food was great and changes often. Because it's so small when I was there we shared a table with a young couple who had just moved here from Vancouver and love it here. It was a great night.

Matt Frost made the menu, former head chef at several Earls and has done menus for lots of local spots.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 5:36 PM

According to the WFP Browns is aiming for a Jan/Feb opening now. As we have said before it's about double the size of their normal stores and by far the biggest, most prominent one.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...390531831.html

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 5:37 AM

I noticed a burrito spledito going up at the route 90 split near the Tims / Wendys

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:12 PM

Maybe not a big deal, but I think Blind Tiger has abandoned the speakeasy gimmick as I saw the windows are clear now to look into the resturant from the street.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Maybe not a big deal, but I think Blind Tiger has abandoned the speakeasy gimmick as I saw the windows are clear now to look into the resturant from the street.
It was a cute gimmick, but in a city like this it's hard to make it work without at least some level of visibility.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Expanded their hours too. Open late night on the weekends now. What a time to quit drinking.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 9:23 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
When I was working for Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada 1999 thru 2011 (AIDA, CFIP, CAIS, AgriStability) as a CR-03 (Data Entry Clerk) I started off working as a temp. via Drake Office Overload @ $7. When I was hired directly in 2000 I started off at $14. By the time I finished my 12 yrs. I was making $16 and some change per hour.

And the thing is...our jobs became not more, but _less_ physically demanding due to automation, yet we were earning a _higher_ salary.

Where does it end?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan