HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The Fullerton State Bank failed in 1931. In 1937 the building was sold to the Perfection Burial Garment Co., who added the sign.
Interesting! That makes more sense.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
If you look closely at the vintage apartment buildings of Chicago, you'll learn the names of many developers' wives and daughters.

Same with streetnames in postwar suburbs.
My favorites will forever be the mangled spellings of the two buildings on the south side of Addison just west of Halsted: "The,Fredona" and "The,Florence"

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:29 AM
Chicago

Union Station Transit Center

March 4, 2016

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:31 AM
Chicago

Brooklyn Bowl

March 4, 2016

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:43 AM
Chicago

Bridge Tender’s House - Adams Street Bridge

March 8, 2016

The first two pictures are of the Bridge Tender’s House at the northwest corner of the Adams Street Bridge. The last picture is the Bridge Tender’s House at the southeast corner.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 1:59 PM

The Walgreens in the Citadel is closing March 29th. I assume they are moving everything to the new State/Madison location.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:04 PM

Looks like Giordano's is doing a big expansion into the basement, 1st, and 2nd floor of the space next to their restaurant at Rush & Superior in the same building. I walked by it last weekend and saw some construction type of stuff up and was wondering what was up. This is the building that Golub bought last year and wanted to build a few new hotels or whatever, and then Reilly shut it down.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:19 PM
you know where I'll be

^ That proposal (which I was a big fan of btw ( to see it get killed), was by Albert Friedman and White Lodging as far as I know.........I think it was actually an SOM design (Chicago sees very, very few of these anymore.......did Golub purchase it afterward - or were they the original owner? Golub definitely avoids hotel projects.....I know this from Block 37, where they avoided it, and advocated against it, like the plague......

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:25 PM

On the topic of vacancies in the Loop, I was walking past the Grant Thornton building on Randolph this morning and noticed work is being done in that vacant space between the Fifth Third Bank and the Corner Bakery - the space that's had posters of desserts up in the windows for at least a year or two now. Anyone know what's going in there?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8844...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ That proposal (which I was a big fan of btw ( to see it get killed), was by Albert Friedman and White Lodging as far as I know.........I think it was actually an SOM design (Chicago sees very, very few of these anymore.......did Golub purchase it afterward - or were they the original owner? Golub definitely avoids hotel projects.....I know this from Block 37, where they avoided it, and advocated against it, like the plague......
SOM design is across/down the street, IIRC. No idea if that's alive still.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
The SOM project I believe was near Erie, not Huron, and it was on the east side of the street - not the west like Giordano's is. I guess Victory Park Capital was the ones who wanted the hotel and then Golub bought it

SOM project - a different site:
http://chicago.curbed.com/2015/3/18/...or-river-north

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:25 PM

Curbed reported that the Foster + Partners Apple Store for Pioneer Court just landed a permit.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiModal View Post
The Walgreens in the Citadel is closing March 29th. I assume they are moving everything to the new State/Madison location.
On no! well, just because I work at Citadel and it's very convenient especially since we can access it from inside the lobby. I'm looking forward to whatever replaces it

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:41 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
SOM design is across/down the street, IIRC. No idea if that's alive still.

(and marothisu) Thanks. Who designed the 'tower of giordano's', then? (it's a real boom I'd say when I really start to lose track of/mix-up proposals, and it's, although not super common, definitely starting to occur with more frequency).....

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 10:45 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Curbed reported that the Foster + Partners Apple Store for Pioneer Court just landed a permit.
With the soon to be wide open stairs leading down to the riverwalk on the northeast corner of the Michigan Ave bridge, and that lower level being flush with the lower level pedestrian bridge walkway over the river, do you think they could open that up more and create a natural flow from the Apple Store/Riverwalk on the north side across the river and down to the main riverwalk along the south side of the river?

It would be a nice way to pull those two elements together without having to cross any roads or "get lost" between one and the other. They need to spruce up that lower level sidewalk.

I really wish they could tie together the river access areas on the east and west sides of the Michigan Ave bridge (north side) and then also tie it across the Wrigley Building and over to the Trump river access. Those two gaps filled in could create a really solid stretch right in the heart of touristland.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 1:20 AM
TL;DR

^ Not possible, unfortunately. The south side riverwalk narrowed the channel about as far as they can safely go, especially at a bend in the river.

It might be possible to carve some kind of walkway through the abutment like the riverwalk at Chicago Ave, but I don't think that's what you're envisioning...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:19 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
The first two pictures are of the Bridge Tender’s House at the northwest corner of the Adams Street Bridge. The last picture is the Bridge Tender’s House at the southeast corner.
Very cool.

I've wondered lateley how much it would cost to touch up or refurbish the bridge houses along the main branch. I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap with scarce money but it would be nice if full restorarions happened within a short time after the riverwalk was completed.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:39 AM

^^^I was just thinking that too. I heard that several of the bridges were deemed in poor condition and will need repairs soon. Isn't that why Wells St. Bridge was replaced? Imagine if each bridge looked brand new. Love the grit and rust, but clean the stone and paint them to look uniform. If these bridges are going to be above a major tourist attraction, make them look presentable and safe.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:58 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

Would be an interesting concept to convert some of them to hotel cabins. Those would be the hottest rooms in town.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Not possible, unfortunately. The south side riverwalk narrowed the channel about as far as they can safely go, especially at a bend in the river.

It might be possible to carve some kind of walkway through the abutment like the riverwalk at Chicago Ave, but I don't think that's what you're envisioning...
I think he means access to the lower of Michigan Avenue so that pedestrians can cross the river as it's now blocked off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Would be an interesting concept to convert some of them to hotel cabins. Those would be the hottest rooms in town.
Seeing as they're still used...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development