HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
As far I know the person will be leasing the property and building their own building. They are in contact with the HDLC so you can be sure they will push for balconies. Ill let you guys know more when I get it.

Did everyone see the Hyatts new lights yesterday? Look awesome!

Also, the parking lot in front of the Riverwalk between the Whale mural and the Convention Center will be getting a Neiman Marcus!
What did they do with the new lights on Hyatt? Do you have any pictures?

Whats the latest on the Superdome's LED light upgrades? I believe its supposed to be complete in time for the Bears game next week -- have they been lighting it up partially, or have they been leaving the older lights off?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 7:09 PM
-

All I remember was when walking to Katy Perry concert(i was quite drunk) was the atrium glass on both sides was lit up and changed colors! That vantage point from champions square will look good! Not sure if the lights will change for the season but I imagine it will!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 7:12 PM

Any more info on the Neiman Marcus??

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 7:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Any more info on the Neiman Marcus??
Nothing ... someone just mentioned their husband was working on something for it! So Im just passing what I heard onto you guys!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Also, the parking lot in front of the Riverwalk between the Whale mural and the Convention Center will be getting a Neiman Marcus!
While it would be nice to get rid of one more parking lot, I always thought that huge open space had more potential than just one department store. Maybe a Skyscraper/Hotel/Mall combo? A Neiman Marcus belongs at 1031 Canal or maybe inside Canal Place Phase III:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=29.950...9&z=19&l=0&m=b

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Nothing ... someone just mentioned their husband was working on something for it! So Im just passing what I heard onto you guys!
Great info lately. Downtown development seems to finally be picking up speed.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
While it would be nice to get rid of one more parking lot, I always thought that huge open space had more potential than just one department store. Maybe a Skyscraper/Hotel/Mall combo? A Neiman Marcus belongs at 1031 Canal or maybe inside Canal Place Phase III:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=29.950...9&z=19&l=0&m=b
I agree. That lot has more potential than just a department store, Neiman Marcus should be the retail tenant of a larger development.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 9:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
I agree. That lot has more potential than just a department store, Neiman Marcus should be the retail tenant of a larger development.
Now I remember the person saying that it is actually part of a larger development. She just said she knew Neiman Marcus was going to be part of it!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Now I remember the person saying that it is actually part of a larger development. She just said she knew Neiman Marcus was going to be part of it!
I hope to god that is true! This would be so awesome for downtown!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 11:34 PM
-

My friend at the HDLC said this building was recently purchased by the Kailas guys(1031 Canal their other project) and are converting it to residential and retail. I actually had a chance to tour this building a few years ago and its considered New Orleans second skyscraper and was built in 1896. The coolest thing is that the elevator which still works was tied into the city streetcar system so that it could power the elevators with steam!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2nd+ol...7.23,,0,-26.15

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I hope to god that is true! This would be so awesome for downtown!
We don't even know what it us yet, or the possibility of it breaking ground.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 11:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
We don't even know what it us yet, or the possibility of it breaking ground.
Sorry I dont have any hard information guys.I will try and get some more details ... just repeating what I heard.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Did everyone see the Hyatts new lights yesterday? Look awesome!
The blue LEDs looked great.

Quote:
Say what now...?!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 3:27 PM
-

Plaza Tower is going to auction September 20 and Ive had an oppurtunity to talk to two of the bidders. The building will certainly have better days ahead is all I can say

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 5:40 PM

Quote:
All I remember was when walking to Katy Perry concert(i was quite drunk) was the atrium glass on both sides was lit up and changed colors! That vantage point from champions square will look good! Not sure if the lights will change for the season but I imagine it will!
Sorry, I just wanted to say that posts like this are why I love coming here. Carry on.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 9:29 PM
-

Permit to renovate three buildings on the corner of Tchoupitoulas Street and Girod into 7 units.

Link to the buildings to be renovated!

http://qpublic4.qpublic.net/la_newor...l_sales+lake#0

Work Location
401 GIROD ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130

Contractor:
ZENO A YATES
YATES & YATES ARCHITECTS
929 S. PETERS
NEW ORLEANS, LA, 70130
Home Phone:
504-522-7218
ARCHITECT 2827
Project Description:
CONVERT (3) VACANT BUILDINGS TO CREATE A 7-PLEX AS PER PLANS AND HDLCP-11-1003 AND CITY PLANNING APPROVAL. ( 401 GIROD,637 & 641 TCHOUPITOULAS)

Rendering of the new bar in the Royal Sonesta:

A rendering of the bar at Restaurant R'Evolution at the Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, slated to open March 2012.

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 10, 2011 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 3:02 PM

Rebirth of upper Canal Street could be sparked by Iberville overhaul

Under the federal grant, awarded under the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's new Choice Neighborhoods Initiative, money must be spread much further than the 23-acre Iberville site. Developers working with the Housing Authority of New Orleans and City Hall have pledged to transform a 300-square-block area bordered by Tulane and St. Bernard avenues and Broad and Rampart streets.

Though the initial grant is just $30.5 million, plans call for spending nearly $600 million in the "Iberville-Treme" area to build nearly 2,500 new apartments, some of them in shuttered school buildings and many above ground-floor stores and cafes.

In their initial application for the federal money, officials painted an ambitious vision of retail renewal, including a grocery store and farmers market inside the Iberville footprint and, in the long term, "a large-scale urbanized destination lifestyle center along Canal Street, combining food, beverage, and other entertainment with retail and amenities tailored to meet the needs of residents and tourists."

The center, they said, would restore Canal Street as a regional shopping destination, provide services and jobs for neighborhood residents, and boost city sales-tax revenue.

LINK

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 3:50 PM
-

This article has some problems with it. One The Saint Hotel is opening this year not 2013. Also whats with the constant use of efforts to restore The Joy Theatre are pending? Reconstruction is underway as we speak and then calling the Loyola Streetcar Planned? Its under construction now. Someone is doing a little too much copy and pasting when writing these articles!

That said Im optimistic about the streets future and definitely think this is the main component that needs to be fixed.

As for the new Charity wasnt the design supposed to be released last Thursday? What happened to that?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 2:42 AM
TL;DR

^^ Not a new design, just the business plan for the UMC.

The map also put the BioInnovation center on the wrong block. It's actually on the river side of Texaco.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 6:57 AM

Concerning the UMC...the business plan was approved. Overall cost is down a bit due to the recession...pegged now at 1.1 billion. There will be no borrowing as the LSU Physicians Assocation will be building the Ambulatory Care building. It has one last step before construction can begin...a legislative panel must give the final go ahead to begin work. Hopefully, these politicians will not grandstand too much and simply approve the thing. Once that is done...construction will begin immediately.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations