HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:39 PM
Ex Houstonian

I usually like Calatravas work but I really dont like the transit hub design. It looks strange, like some sort of ancient monsters rib cage.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I usually like Calatravas work but I really dont like the transit hub design. It looks strange, like some sort of ancient monsters rib cage.
I think this is a horrible waste of money.....and ridiculous-looking.....give me a break

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
I think this is a horrible waste of money.....and ridiculous-looking.....give me a break
Yeah, what a waste!!! Good riddance to Port Authority!!!!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
I found an interesting note in an article describing the removal and replacement of the original H&M Terminal after 9/11:
Source: HudsonCity

Could this be the same hallway Enigmatism415 is referring to? That floor looks like it could be Travertine, but the walls and ceiling are wholly unremarkable. If the floors are original to the old H&M then I think that'll be an even more interesting little bit of history saved.
The floor is indeed travertine. I had no idea that that section existed in the old H&M terminal; it looks far too modern. Historical significance aside, it is indeed an otherwise unremarkable hallway (just white plaster walls and office-style ceiling tiles). It is admittedly nice to save a little slither of the old mall for its own sake, though, even if the ceilings are a bit low. On a side note, I hope that the pre-9/11 convenience store next to it removes that damn black tape covering 'WTC'.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 2:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

============================
Credit: http://tribecacitizen.com/2015/04/27...nter-showroom/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
yea, heaven forbid new york gets anything that isn't an efficient boring box.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

============================
Credit: http://tribecacitizen.com/2015/04/27...nter-showroom/
That loading dock on the east side of 1WTC is temporary right? It'll go away once the VSC opens. Anyone know when that is scheduled?

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
yea, heaven forbid new york gets anything that isn't an efficient boring box.
Yes! Thank you!

I've noticed when someone criticizes a design as "ridiculous" or "pretentious" it's usually code for "I prefer utilitarian cookie-cutter boxes" (or in this case preferring normal, non-descript or even ugly transit hubs like Penn Station).

I remember people saying Cloud Gate in Chicago was "ridiculous" too, and that's now one of the most beloved attractions there. I'd rather a project be too ambitious than not ambitious enough. Any day.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 1:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoRevival View Post
I've noticed when someone criticizes a design as "ridiculous" or "pretentious" it's usually code for "I prefer utilitarian cookie-cutter boxes"
I think the more ridiculous and pretentious thing about this transit hub is the fact that for the same cost we could have built Phase Two of the Second Avenue Subway which would carry 125,000 passengers. Sure, the hub is pretty, but is that really a good use of our money? It seems a little pretentious to spend so much beautifying one of the richest parts of the city instead of helping provide opportunities in one of the more economically disadvantaged parts.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 8:26 PM

As Oculus at World Trade Center Opens, So Does a Neighborhood

DAVID W. DUNLAP
MAY 6, 2015

Quote:

Santiago Calatrava’s Oculus, that unearthly winged structure taking form at the World Trade Center, will open to limited pedestrian traffic in June.

This will give the public its first glimpse of a majestic and luminous space — framed by soaring, softly curving white ribs and the ribbons of light between them — that looks like nothing so much as the nave of a cathedral by Gaudí.

Or like a turkey skeleton after it’s been stripped clean at Thanksgiving.

The debate over the $3.9 billion World Trade Center Transportation Hub, of which the Oculus is the aesthetic and retail centerpiece, is only beginning. Love it or hate it, however, there is no denying its magnitude.

The public will have a chance to study the interior of the Oculus from a north-south passageway that is to open next month (or perhaps earlier), linking the PATH platforms to new entrances at Vesey and Liberty Streets.

Progress at ground zero was once measured in years. This spring and summer promise one milestone after the next, sometimes separated only by days.

On Tuesday, a 25-foot-wide section of sidewalk opened on the north side of Liberty Street, between Church and Greenwich Streets, the scene of frequent pedestrian bottlenecks. It is a heavily trafficked route to the National September 11 Memorial and Museum and, increasingly, to the 4 World Trade Center tower as it fills with office workers. People live on Liberty Street, too.

Catherine McVay Hughes, the chairwoman of Community Board 1, said the new sidewalk was something people in the area, “especially the local residents who returned after 9/11, have been looking forward to for a long time.”

On Thursday, the Port Authority plans to open the second of four new snow-white, marble-floored PATH platforms designed by Mr. Calatrava and his colleagues in the Downtown Design Partnership.

At the same time, workers are to remove a temporary floor-to-ceiling barrier in the PATH mezzanine directly above the platforms, creating a broad perspective on the space, which looks like the inside of some fantastically large (but immaculately clean) marine organism.

On May 29, the One World Observatory is to open atop 1 World Trade Center.

Soon after, the north-south passageway between Vesey and Liberty Streets will open, “improving access and transportation connections for the residents, workers and visitors to Lower Manhattan,” said Patrick J. Foye, the executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Construction staging has been particularly challenging since the authority sought to maintain service for 50,000 daily PATH commuters and those on the No. 1 subway line, Erica Dumas, a Port Authority spokeswoman, said.

PATH commuters from New Jersey currently use a temporary station on Vesey Street that will be demolished in the coming months. Intense human traffic jams have resulted, as PATH riders scramble among residents and office workers who are heading to and from Battery Park City, and everyone shoulder-butts tourists.

“Vesey Street has not been for the faint of heart,” said Jessica Lappin, the president of the Alliance for Downtown New York.

In the new arrangement, riders will come up into the east half of the PATH mezzanine, which is the transportation crossroads of the hub. Then they will walk under the No. 1 line, which crosses the vast space without any visible means of support, in a remarkable — and expensive — bit of engineering.

Commuters will then enter the Oculus along its perimeter, protected from construction by plywood barriers. Fortunately, there is a see-through, mesh clerestory running the length of these barriers.

“It’s for ventilation,” Glenn P. Guzi, a program director of the Port Authority, said as he led a tour through the passageway. “But the icing on the cake is that people will be able to see the Oculus as we’re moving forward.”

Commuters going to Vesey Street will continue along the north concourse. Those heading to Liberty Street will take the longer south concourse. The storefronts along the concourses will be empty until later this year.

The passageway is planned mostly for PATH commuters. But it is easy to imagine it as a prime destination for architectural sightseers, at least until the Oculus is open in its entirety late this year or early next year.

New routes will be blazed aboveground, too. In July, the northeast corner of the memorial plaza is expected to open to the public. A pedestrian route will be created between the memorial plaza and Vesey Street.

Together, these changes will enable pedestrians to walk the length of the World Trade Center site for the first time since Sept. 11, 2001.

“You have simultaneously, both aboveground and below, the opening and widening of essential arteries,” Ms. Lappin said.

Ms. Hughes, the community board chairwoman, said neighbors were “thrilled that there will be a north-south connector through four city blocks.”

“This is another key milestone of the reincorporation of the World Trade Center into the fabric of Lower Manhattan,” she said.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 8:20 AM

whats up with the earthcam??
still dont know why we done have other cam's?

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 12:35 PM
BANNED

^It's down for me too.

^^Great article, Sparkling. Very thorough work. It's almost as if the writer is a part time SSP forumer!

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 1:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Good news, that this will open in a month.

=========================

Quote:
While the end is not in sight for construction at the World Trade Center site, a significant portion of the redevelopment is set to open to the public after years of delays and setbacks. Most notably, Santiago Calatrava's Oculus hub (well, a small part of it) is going to open in June, the Times reports. The hub has been decried by architecture critics as a "kitsch stegosaurus" and "a magnificent boondoggle" (in fact, no on can resist taking a swipe—David Dunlap, in this most recent article, describes it as looking "like a turkey skeleton after it's been stripped clean at Thanksgiving") but soon the public will be able to judge for itself, from the inside. A north-south passageway that connects the PATH platforms to new entrances at Vesey and Liberty Streets is set to open next month.

Meanwhile, a 4,000-square-foot walkway off Church Street opened yesterday, allowing pedestrians to from Church Street to West Street, past the National Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum. And the Port Authority announced today that it will open Platform B at the PATH station tomorrow.

According to Crain's, about two-thirds of the 16-acre World Trade Center site is now open to pedestrians.
New Sidewalks:

==================================
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/07/ny...s&emc=rss&_r=0
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...next_month.php

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 6:49 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
So yesterday I was at the WTC taking some photos of the New train station that had opened on Wednesday. I wasn't there for more then 30 seconds when the guard approached me pointing a Flash light and yelling at me to stop taking photographs... I had read a Hudson reporter article saying that it was legal to do so , which I told him. He said I had to delete my photos , I told I wasn't.... After a few more minutes oh arguing with him over it , he decides to give up and walk away. But as he was walking he said something threatening , I couldn't make it out...but I decided to call him out on it...which I realize was a mistake... He comes back over even more aggressive then the first time. I then ask for his name so I could report him , he refuses...so I go to take his photograph and he tries to reach for my camera. I decided to leave the station not wanting to escalate things further and on my way up I spoke with a staffer about the rules...Which he seemed unsure of...

During this whole time , numerous other people were taking photos with there phones....I guess because I had the big DSLR I drew attention to myself. But over the last few days 100s of photos of the station have been taken... I didn't delete the photos if your wondering I uploaded them to my Flickr... I know the PA had a Photography ban in the past , but over the last few years it has been quietly removed... I do hear of people being harassed in the Aviation & Bridge community from time to time...by Security Guards.. I don't spend much time at PA facilities aside from the WTC... I never saw any signs on the PATH , only a few at the Bus Terminal which were removed last year...and a few on the Bridges which were removed from what ive heard.

The Article where it says it legal http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/f...ideographers-?
I did manage to take a few photos before I was yelled at...

by Corey Best, on Flickr

PATH - World Trade Center Station in Lower Manhattan
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

The Outside...

World Trade Center Hub , 1 ,3 in Lower Manhattan,New York
by Corey Best, on Flickr

World Trade Center Hub , 1 , 7 in Lower Manhattan,New York
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 10:10 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Those clunky stainless steel PATH cars look pretty silly in that gorgeous space age station. Maybe someday we can have cars that look half as slick as some in Europe and Asia.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 5:42 PM

can somebody post pics/or links of the survivor tree??

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 6:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Those clunky stainless steel PATH cars look pretty silly in that gorgeous space age station. Maybe someday we can have cars that look half as slick as some in Europe and Asia.
As soon as regulations are changed regarding the weight of trains, etc. I agree, it looks strange. Stainless steel on trains needs to go everywhere. It's the 21st century, and high time NYC caught up with the global trend.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 4:11 PM

Stainless steel is easy to clean. You wash it and it looks brand new. Graffiti is also very easily removed. You go back to painted cars and they will start to look like crap from dirt / vandalism. The maintenance expenses will also go up. Realistically, SS is here to stay.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 6:29 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 7:26 PM

Anyone else notice that 1WT's windows are a little off? It looks like some don't match others in different lighting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture