HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I’ve driven F150s around downtown a fair bit and it’s not fun haha.

I remember parking one down this laneway once.. I think it was literally a 20 point turn to get it into the spot. No scratches though!
Got stuck here in a rental car

https://goo.gl/maps/PiKeQ6gKRPuKBoRz6

I was approaching from the top of the image and obviously couldn't get past these bollards. A multi point turn around didn't do anything so I had to reverse around the bend in the background and probably reversed 300 or 400 m before it widened out enough to turn around. The bollards were new and it was in the past a shortcut to my cousins house and I assured her I knew the way etc. If only I'd listened as she was telling me that things had changed.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 12:34 AM
Registered Drug User

Do any municipal or provincial police services in Canada do drunk driving tests like the Americans, meaning getting out of the car and doing a Marineland-style seal performance to prove you're not incapacitated? I always thought it was a joke, but for some reason lately my YouTube feed is full of body cam videos from the US of semi-famous people in police car spotlights trying to walk straight lines and touch their noses.

What's the point of that if you blow over anyway? Or is it in lieu of doing a breathalyzer?

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Do any municipal or provincial police services in Canada do drunk driving tests like the Americans, meaning getting out of the car and doing a Marineland-style seal performance to prove you're not incapacitated? I always thought it was a joke, but for some reason lately my YouTube feed is full of body cam videos from the US of semi-famous people in police car spotlights trying to walk straight lines and touch their noses.

What's the point of that if you blow over anyway? Or is it in lieu of doing a breathalyzer?
I've had the misfortune of this and in my experience, a US sobriety test included walking a line, balancing on one foot and reciting the alphabet backwards, in lieu of a breathalizer.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
I've had the misfortune of this and in my experience, a US sobriety test included walking a line, balancing on one foot and reciting the alphabet backwards, in lieu of a breathalizer.
Right now I couldn't do that sober, but if I was an American in the habit of driving drunk I'd probably practice that skill and get good at it...

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Waterloo software bro?
Looks like they went from one end of the fuel efficiency spectrum to the other

https://www.worx4you.com/faq

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Right now I couldn't do that sober, but if I was an American in the habit of driving drunk I'd probably practice that skill and get good at it...
I nailed it... which even today, shocks me, especially under the circumstances at the time.

To be clear, I was sober, but it was dusk on the 4th of July and the rental car didn't have automatic headlights I was accustomed to, so I understand why the cop thought to pull over the car driving slowly (in an unfamiliar town) with its lights off.

The moral of the story is, know where you're going, check your headlights and practice the alphabet backwards... and of course, don't drink and drive

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
I'm not sure how any of that would hold up in court.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'm not sure how any of that would hold up in court.
You're probably right, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out (no emoji-pun intended )

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 11:46 AM

Couple of interesting vehicles spotted yesterday. In Niagara Falls and on the QEW in Oakville.

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 8:15 PM

^ It's the Sikh Popemobile!

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 12:45 AM

China just took over Germany & japan to become the world's largest exporter of automobiles.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It's the Sikh Popemobile!
Basically, yeah.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 11:41 PM

Way to go Montreal!

Quote:
Starting on July 1, drivers of larger, heavier cars will pay more for residential parking permits in one busy corner of town.

In the Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie, permit prices will depend on the engine size and vehicle weight, with cheaper prices for electric, hydrogen and plug-in hybrid cars vs. all other engines. Owners of the more-efficient cars will pay just $115 (Canadian) so long as their cars weigh less than 3,000 pounds. Owners of any car lower than 2,500 pounds will also pay that rate.
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2023/05/...he-damn-thing/

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 1:15 PM
Give us a kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I'm especially shocked that it's not just a good idea, but also well implemented - they're basically taxing vehicle mass (= energy consumption) and not just going with a fuzzy "electric good, gas bad". Almost dismissed it as satire initially!

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
I'm especially shocked that it's not just a good idea, but also well implemented - they're basically taxing vehicle mass (= energy consumption) and not just going with a fuzzy "electric good, gas bad". Almost dismissed it as satire initially!
I mean one big issue is that EVs are legitimately far, far better than ICE cars (ESPECIALLY in Quebec with it's near-0 emission electric grid), but also happen to be far heavier than ICEs.. so you may end up with an odd situation with a small electric car paying a "large car" price since it's by weight.

To me - the solution for on-street parking is to do it by vehicle coverage or length - as that's how much space they take up on the street. The longer the vehicle, the more you pay.

Edit: OK - they have increased weight allowances for EVs. That's fine then, but generally I think length would probably be a better measure still.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 2:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
The optics look better too.

It looks bad to give the same value to a Honda Fit as a 1000-hp Hummer EV, even if the latter is ostensibly low-emissions.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 3:31 PM
Community Guy

It's absurd that given the housing crisis for staff and overall labour market that we continue to choose convenient parking over places for people to live/work/contribute.

Parking requirements killing new housing developments in Banff.
https://www.rmoutlook.com/banff/park...-banff-7002659

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 6:12 PM
Great White Norf

Banff and now Canmore are cities for the wealthy. Seasonal workers be damned.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Sounds like Vancouver and Toronto.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 7:16 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Ha.

Transit here is pretty robust and it's highly walkable for the most part, but the planning requirements for parking is out of whack.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada