HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Slight correction: it should scare the shit of Canadians who live in forest-fire-prone areas, while not scaring Canadians who don't (nearly all of them will shrug), while also scaring people outside Canada who live in forest-fire-prone areas (like the Interior West of the USA).

The only thing I'm scared of is hurricanes. In Calgary, you likely aren't. On the other hand, this smoke really does suck. That orange glow in your pics almost seems touched up, but I know it's not.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 1:38 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Slight correction: it should scare the shit of Canadians who live in forest-fire-prone areas, while not scaring Canadians who don't (nearly all of them will shrug), while also scaring people outside Canada who live in forest-fire-prone areas (like the Interior West of the USA).

The only thing I'm scared of is hurricanes. In Calgary, you likely aren't. On the other hand, this smoke really does suck. That orange glow in your pics almost seems touched up, but I know it's not.
Didn’t the smoke from our wildfires get blown all the way to Eastern Canada and even the North Eastern US? Read this article for a sobering glimpse into the future:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...dden-toll.html

Not reaching as far today but earlier it was showing all the way in New Brunswick:

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 1:49 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I don't think this even scares Albertans....
Cognitive Dissonance is a powerful thing.

Also funny to see Smith go begging the big evil Feds and Trudeau for military aid and also e-mailing civil servants to volunteer as firefighters after the UCP slashed early fire detection budget t save a measly 1.2 million per year.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 2:17 PM

For all the bashing of Albertans, Alberta’s leaders, and the ridiculous mindset that Alberta’s are climate change deniers, at least it’s good to see the private sector investing billions in Albertas green energy, some of the most in the entire continent, aside from federal tax dollars going to VW… even more amazing is that these investments have been made while big bad UCP climate change denier leadership has been in place… crazy crazy

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
For all the bashing of Albertans, Alberta’s leaders, and the ridiculous mindset that Alberta’s are climate change deniers, at least it’s good to see the private sector investing billions in Albertas green energy, some of the most in the entire continent, aside from federal tax dollars going to VW… even more amazing is that these investments have been made while big bad UCP climate change denier leadership has been in place… crazy crazy
Economics will trump ethics every time.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Economics will trump ethics every time.
Totally. So give Alberta credit, ethically, for so much invested in clean energy.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 3:43 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Didn’t the smoke from our wildfires get blown all the way to Eastern Canada and even the North Eastern US? Read this article for a sobering glimpse into the future:

Not reaching as far today but earlier it was showing all the way in New Brunswick:

Yeah it did. I remember smoke in Montreal in 2003 (from NW Ontario forest fires).

My bro is in SW MB and they had a smoke advisory yesterday. That was from Northern SK.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 3:50 PM

In the Townships the sky is currently 100% blue, air couldn’t be fresher and clearer, not a molecule of fire smoke anywhere in sight. I’d be surprised if smoke from Alberta reached Montreal (though, Manitoba I can believe).

The vexing part is that it’s all human carelessness this year, from what I’ve heard; we wouldn’t be discussing this right now if it weren’t for a few idiots. (Totally unlike a tornado, earthquake, flood, hurricane, etc. or even a lightning-ignited forest fire.)

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:21 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
In the Townships the sky is currently 100% blue, air couldn’t be fresher and clearer, not a molecule of fire smoke anywhere in sight. I’d be surprised if smoke from Alberta reached Montreal (though, Manitoba I can believe).

The vexing part is that it’s all human carelessness this year, from what I’ve heard; we wouldn’t be discussing this right now if it weren’t for a few idiots. (Totally unlike a tornado, earthquake, flood, hurricane, etc. or even a lightning-ignited forest fire.)
If you read the article I posted it talks about increases in lightning strikes as part of the vicious cycle of Climate Change. But you are correct that many were probably ignited by the same rednecks on their quads who are now hatching conspiracy theories about NDP supporters being arsonists. Also didn't help that our government cut early forest fire detection programs to save like a million bucks a year.

As for your smug sense of security, that article also points out how we are on a trajectory where these kinds of fires will also occur in northern Ontario and Quebec with more frequency and Western Canada will become like California. The forest fire smoke will soon be a national new season. The smoke from AB has made it to the East coast, but probably went south of Levi. Possibly would have hit Montreal.

Lastly, some fires may be started by humans, but the conditions are ripe for it. We had no spring this year. Went from snow to 27 degrees within a week or two. Very dry and very hot.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:25 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Yeah it did. I remember smoke in Montreal in 2003 (from NW Ontario forest fires).

My bro is in SW MB and they had a smoke advisory yesterday. That was from Northern SK.
That day with the pictures I posted the fire smoke map seemed to show it blowing in from all directions (BC, northern AB and SK).

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:29 PM
Fake News

Quote:
What could the UCP do to stop private investment in renewables? Atco and Energy companies see the writing on the wall. The UCP just wasted a billion dollars funding a dead pipeline and promoting new open pit coal mines in the foothills. I credit Albertans for fighting against those mines. If the UCPee had its way we'd have sold off half our provincial parks and clear cut Kananaskis.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I agree with much of what Truenorth00 said, although the leftist parties are more attitudinally in the realm of reality. IMO, meaningful progress will only be made when all major political parties are on the same page.
This is the real problem, here. The biggest mistake the left in North America is making, is showing a strong preference to using climate change as a culture war stick against the right, instead of trying to build cross-party consensus on the issue. It severely threatens progress, because it means that climate policy inevitably stagnates when the right gains power.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:53 PM

Quote:

The only real consequence here in Southern Ontario is the sky & sun have a different colour.

My grandmother-in-law, who is Anishinaabe, told me an interesting story the other day - the Anishinaabe noticed that every once in a blue moon the sun would change colour because of wildfire smoke in Western North America, but didn't know that was the cause, so they have mythology about it being the result of angry spirits.

Eastern North America is never really going to have to deal with fires the way the Western half of the continent does. The forests in the East are mostly hardwoods like oak, maple, beech, etc. as opposed to the pines & firs of the West (hardwood trees are harder to ignite and they burn much more slowly when they do), and the weather is much more humid so it's wetter. Sporadic fires can happen (and probably will increase in frequency) but it's never going to be a huge public safety threat. The exception could be further north, in Northern Ontario, Northern Quebec, Labrador, etc. where the forests are mostly softwood. Even then, the more humid conditions will keep a lid on fires.

Western North America is just uniquely primed to burn. Dry climate and softwood trees. Fires are a natural part of the ecosystem - the provincial tree of Alberta, the Lodgepole pine, actually requires fire to reproduce as the seeds of the tree only germinate when ignited.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 5:04 PM

You could definitely see the impact from the fires in Ontario last week, but others have said, it was relatively minor. The sun was just a lot less bright and it created a really colourful sunset, and made what was otherwise a sunny day feel more like a hazy one.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Who exactly is bashing Albertans here?

I think their embrace of renewables is fantastic. I do think Alberta's leaders are being naive about the long term oil demand. Reminds me a lot of West Virginia's leaders and coal. But I don't think this mindset is unique to Alberta.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 5:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
You could definitely see the impact from the fires in Ontario last week, but others have said, it was relatively minor. The sun was just a lot less bright and it created a really colourful sunset, and made what was otherwise a sunny day feel more like a hazy one.
That's why it looked like that the other day? I noticed the sunset was really red, but didn't realize it was because of the wildfires out west.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 6:08 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The only real consequence here in Southern Ontario is the sky & sun have a different colour.

My grandmother-in-law, who is Anishinaabe, told me an interesting story the other day - the Anishinaabe noticed that every once in a blue moon the sun would change colour because of wildfire smoke in Western North America, but didn't know that was the cause, so they have mythology about it being the result of angry spirits.

Eastern North America is never really going to have to deal with fires the way the Western half of the continent does. The forests in the East are mostly hardwoods like oak, maple, beech, etc. as opposed to the pines & firs of the West (hardwood trees are harder to ignite and they burn much more slowly when they do), and the weather is much more humid so it's wetter. Sporadic fires can happen (and probably will increase in frequency) but it's never going to be a huge public safety threat. The exception could be further north, in Northern Ontario, Northern Quebec, Labrador, etc. where the forests are mostly softwood. Even then, the more humid conditions will keep a lid on fires.

Western North America is just uniquely primed to burn. Dry climate and softwood trees. Fires are a natural part of the ecosystem - the provincial tree of Alberta, the Lodgepole pine, actually requires fire to reproduce as the seeds of the tree only germinate when ignited.
The part of Alberta that’s burning is mainly boreal forest (like you have in the north out east). If Calgary is getting the smoke from hundreds of kms north, southern Ontario and Quebec would experience the same with fires there.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 7:26 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Cognitive Dissonance is a powerful thing.

Also funny to see Smith go begging the big evil Feds and Trudeau for military aid and also e-mailing civil servants to volunteer as firefighters after the UCP slashed early fire detection budget t save a measly 1.2 million per year.
This is a false narrative. If you think that measly budget would even make a dent in the current wildfire situation in Alberta, you are lying to yourself.

Alberta needs rain, and lots of it. Short of that we are going to burn until there is nothing left to burn.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 7:38 PM

Quote:
The part of Alberta that’s burning is mainly boreal forest (like you have in the north out east). If Calgary is getting the smoke from hundreds of kms north, southern Ontario and Quebec would experience the same with fires there.
The boreal forests in northern Ontario & northern Quebec will never burn with the same intensity as those in Alberta because the summers are much wetter here - and most projections are that climate change is going to make it wetter here, not drier (although precipitation impacts are hard to predict).

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The boreal forests in northern Ontario & northern Quebec will never burn with the same intensity as those in Alberta because the summers are much wetter here - and most projections are that climate change is going to make it wetter here, not drier (although precipitation impacts are hard to predict).
Another factor is population: there are over 4 million people, out of which only one cigarette-throwing idiot is needed to start a fire, who live in/near boreal forests in Alberta; conversely, there's nearly no one who lives up there in Quebec.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada