HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which city will reach 1 million first?
Winnipeg 89 76.72%
Québec 27 23.28%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 8:04 PM

That's a funny website site to go ...

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2...bec/population

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I might not have been paying close enough attention earlier this week when I was in Ottawa, because I wasn't thinking about it, but I thought there was an intersection right near Rideau Centre that had a pedestrian only signal. I didn't see people going diagonally like a scramble, but the cars had red in all directions and pedestrians were crossing both ways.

We used to have a scramble in downtown London but I'm sure it was taken out before I started driving. I know when I crossed when I was a kid, it felt like forever waiting for the walk signal. Most times, since traffic wasn't busy very often, people would just cross with the traffic instead of waiting for the pedestrian signal.
Really? I can't for the life of me think of any such intersection. Something might have changed since the last time I was in that area. I'll try and pay more attention next time.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 9:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Really? I can't for the life of me think of any such intersection. Something might have changed since the last time I was in that area. I'll try and pay more attention next time.
I guess William and Rideau might give that impression, but there is no vehicular traffic on William.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4264...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellimo View Post
That's a funny website site to go ...

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2...bec/population
I wonder where they got those numbers, Stats Canada has Quebec City at 849,000, and Winnipeg at 872,000 for July 1/2022.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I guess William and Rideau might give that impression, but there is no vehicular traffic on William.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4264...8192?entry=ttu
Just looking at Google maps and that could very well be where I was at. It was last Tuesday and the weather was kinda crap and being pretty unfamiliar with the area, I probably wasn't paying close attention to the fine details.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I was today years old when I learned Ottawa is comparable (if not bigger) than Calgary and Edmonton. I've always thought of those two as being substantially bigger.

The Ottawa-Gatineau CMA was more populated than both Alberta cities until the mid 2010s. In fact, the Ottawa CMA was the 4th largest metro area in Canada from the time it eclipsed Winnipeg in the mid 60s, until Calgary overtook it, roughly a decade ago.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Could it really be that Winnipeg is picking up steam and the gap is 35-36k now over QC?
Winnipeg is surely picking up steam. Even though negative inter-provincal migration remains a problem. Winnipeg is a very attractive place to raise a family, or buy a home. Per capita, the number of Ukrainian immigrants was highest in Winnipeg over all other CMA's.

Of note, Winnipeg is probably going to see an influx of people from BC and Southern Ontario eventually, considering people are being priced out of the market, and are already leaving for Calgary (and to a lesser extent Edmonton).

In Winnipeg, the economy has been traditionally steady and diverse, and the average home price is 30% of what one would pay in the GTA or Lower Mainland BC. I predict the growth of Winnipeg will continue to accelerate through to the 2030's.

PS.....Winnipeg added nearly 30,000 people from the last CMA estimate in July 2022, and as of late November, has 910,000 people in the metro area. It should hit the finish line by 2026.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I think that Winnipeg actually being 900K means they need a damn freeway.
The city really dropped the ball, when they announced plans for the transportation hub.

Kenaston should have been made a limited access highway extending to PTH 75. Unfortunately, the powers that be made that impossible with Waverley West, and at grade interchanges like Sterling Lyon.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:24 PM
Great White Norf

I've always been a fan of Winnipeg. As much as I love Toronto, I'm a fan of the underdog cities like Hamilton, Buffalo, Pittsburgh.

I'm aware Winnipeg has been one of the most economically stable cities in Canada for decades, in stark contrast to the boom bust cycles of Alberta and Saskatchewan next door. That bodes well for enticing jaded folks from BC, Ontario, or Alberta increasingly priced out of the for purchase housing market.

That's great if the CMA gained 30k and is now over 910,000! cheers Winnipeg and Winnipeggers

Nationwide, Canada is going through a growing pains period to put it lightly about the Canada wide issues affecting most urban areas.
All in all it seems like Winnipeg is rising up and doing well overall.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
The Ottawa-Gatineau CMA was more populated than both Alberta cities until the mid 2010s. In fact, the Ottawa CMA was the 4th largest metro area in Canada from the time it eclipsed Winnipeg in the mid 60s, until Calgary overtook it, roughly a decade ago.
Haven't Ottawa(-Gatineau), Calgary and Edmonton played musical chairs for 4-5-6 a bit in a recent years?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:19 PM
Great White Norf

Yes there's no clear "winner". Those 3 CMAs are basically growing in sync with one another and it's great to see! Edmonton might be slightly behind but it's negligible in the present and near future.

It's great to see QC and Winnipeg growing closely too. I wish Hamilton was added to that club but even with the recent development boom, a heckuva lot more 30+ storey apartments and condos would have to get built for Hamilton to even come close to catching up

Last edited by Wigs; Nov 28, 2023 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:36 PM

I am glad Winnipeg is growing, at the same time though we are not keeping up with other cities when it comes to things like improving infrastructure and public transportation. We are really falling behind other Canadian cities.

I really hope the planned LRT system for QUebec city works out. I am also glad Hamilton will be getting its LRT system.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Haven't Ottawa(-Gatineau), Calgary and Edmonton played musical chairs for 4-5-6 a bit in a recent years?
Kind of, but not really.

The annual estimates have had Calgary and Edmonton clearly in front of Ottawa for at least 5 years. Maybe even longer for Calgary with Edmonton having recently surpassed Ottawa, despite the latter growing at a decent clip.

The census, however, temporarily vaulted Ottawa back into 4th place. This was due to undercounts for Calgary and Edmonton.

The estimates are usually more reliable. For example, the census count usually undercounts the Toronto CMA by some 300,000 people every 5 years, which is kind of wild.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Calgary is pretty much alone at #4.

I think Ottawa-Gatineau and Edmonton are pretty close though.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I am glad Winnipeg is growing, at the same time though we are not keeping up with other cities when it comes to things like improving infrastructure and public transportation. We are really falling behind other Canadian cities.

I really hope the planned LRT system for QUebec city works out. I am also glad Hamilton will be getting its LRT system.
The city of Winnipeg has no vision. I recall in 1989, when they first were seriously considering a BRT from the university of Manitoba to Downtown. It finally was built nearly 35 years later, but it was explicitly rerouted in a dog-leg format where it is sparsely populated, rather than run it parallel to Pembina Highway, which is congested with apartments and commercial establishments.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Ottawa and Calgary keep switching places while Edmonton lags behind ever so slightly. As of the 2021 census, Ottawa's ahead of both. Who knows how it stands today.

Talking Metro of course. City proper, Calgary has been far ahead of Ottawa for a while. Edmonton was a few thousand behind Ottawa in 2021. Also. 2021 census, Ottawa and Edmonton metros had grown 7.5%, while Calgary lags a bit at 5.3%.

The three cities will remain neck and neck for a while.
July 1, 2022 Estimate:

Calgary 1,608,342
Edmonton 1,516,719
Ottawa-Gatineau 1,498,610

Calgary has been ahead of Ottawa for 10 years or more. The annual estimates are more accurate than the official counts, considering the estimates include the undercounts.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 5:10 PM
A Better Place

The only way Edmonton can catch Calgary is if it continues to attract many more people due to it's affordability. Otherwise, the current estimate ranking will likely hold for a decade or more.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 5:36 PM

I think Ottawa could continue to fall behind now that our housing prices are higher than Calgary and Edmonton.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 5:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It's true that Calgary at +110,000 is a pretty big lead for Ottawa to catch up to, especially for this size of metro area.

Calgary would have to crash big time in order for that to happen. Not impossible - more for Calgary than Ottawa due to their economies - but still unlikely.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 5:58 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
The city really dropped the ball, when they announced plans for the transportation hub.

Kenaston should have been made a limited access highway extending to PTH 75. Unfortunately, the powers that be made that impossible with Waverley West, and at grade interchanges like Sterling Lyon.
All is fixable, for a price.
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada