HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 7:43 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Nice! Hyundai-Kia probably had the slickest everyman set of BEV'S available outside of Tesla...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 9:59 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Preordered a Genesis GV60 yesterday. I'll proceed subject to pricing and actually driving the car. Need to put the solar panels on my roof to work and dump an ICE car.
The GV60 and 70 are sexy AF.

Nice job.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Gas prices now in my area are $1.56 per litre. Even with my old Honda Civic that would be $62 to fill up. If I had gone for my Lexus IS or Acura TLX which both need premium I would have been spending $92 for a fill up. The range on all three cars are around 500-550KM .

For the identical range I spend $9 to charge my Tesla at home. The savings are unreal and that doesn't even begin to take into account synthetic oil changes ($100 each), fuel flushes, engine filters, etc.
in Vancouver it's ranging from 172.9 to 175.9 today, it's expected to hit 185.9 soon.

What I spend in gas each month would be enough to cover a new electric car payment.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 5:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

An interesting look into the future:

Parkland Rolling Out Ultra-Fast Electric Vehicle Charging Locations in Canada Including ‘Gas Station of the Future’
By Mario Toneguzzi
February 10, 2022
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...of-the-future/

This article has to do with plans to role out more EV charging stations in BC and Alberta, but the article is well done, and includes images of the EV service stations of the future. Interesting stuff...........

The concept shows an elongate building surrounded by EV charging stations under a continuous canopy. The building will contain restaurants, convenience stores and services like washroom facilities to cater to customers while they wait 20-30 minutes for their cars to recharge.

Expect to see these types of dedicated facilities popping up around the country within the next 10 years. The future is approaching like a freight train.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 16, 2022 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 5:41 PM
你的媽媽

Wait, is the Honda e coming to Canada? If not, those renderings are inaccurate.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
An interesting look into the future:

Parkland Rolling Out Ultra-Fast Electric Vehicle Charging Locations in Canada Including ‘Gas Station of the Future’
By Mario Toneguzzi
February 10, 2022
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...of-the-future/

This article has to do with plans to role out more EV charging stations in BC and Alberta, but the article is well done, and includes images of the EV service stations of the future. Interesting stuff...........

It's the result of a design competition canvassing architects and designers from around the world on what the fueling stations of the future should look like. There were some other very interesting entries.

https://electricautonomy.ca/2022/02/...ation-designs/

Highlight reel of the top proposals:

Video Link

Video of the winner:

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 5:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If one of these stations were available every 100 km or so along the highway, it would certainly do a lot to assuage the greatest concerns amongst a lot of Canadians thinking about purchasing an EV - namely inconvenience and range anxiety

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 4:19 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 11:28 PM
recession proof

The next Nissan Micra is going electric - ha maybe I'll buy it. Or the Fisker Pear: https://www.fiskerinc.com/reserve/pear
(With a name like that I wonder if Apple is buying Fisker?)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 12:04 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

If one of these stations were available every 100 km or so along the highway, it would certainly do a lot to assuage the greatest concerns amongst a lot of Canadians thinking about purchasing an EV - namely inconvenience and range anxiety
I understand what you're saying, but in the future there won't be much range anxiety.
The luxury EVs like Lucid Air already have range of up to 520 miles/836km.
MotorTrend did a test where they drove from Downtown LA to Downtown San Francisco without stops. What is the luxury level range today will be common in a few years.

EV charging infrastructure still has to be built, but things are looking up with EVs getting more mileage than ICE cars.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 12:39 AM
recession proof

What if you prefer taking gravel roads and narrow paved country roads over main highways? eg on the way back from Goderich recently, after going to Port Albert (nice place), I returned to KW via isolated paved and gravel roads through villages and hamlets like Dungannon, Ethel, Peffers, Kingwood. I find main highways boring.

Maybe this range anxiety could be solved though a hybrid hydrogen/battery electric system, with a micro tank of hydrogen on board?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 12:54 AM

Or what if every time we travel east or west we have to climb and descend at least one mountain range? And temperatures decrease as you climb?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 1:57 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Yes, what if everything has pros and cons and despite an option being better overall, people cling to an inferior option because they won't tolerate any (new or different) downsides no matter how much they stand to gain or how many downsides there are to the status quo?

I guess either the quirks of human psychology would hold back important progress until everything is perfect or we find ways to compel or persuade people to think differently.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 2:16 AM

There's already a 1000km EV I think from Mercedes so range anxiety won't be a thing forever.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
yeah Kia (imho) has some of the best designed cars with really nice interiors in 2022. Hyundai has nice vehicles as well, but Kias just look sportier. (Kia is the Honda to Hyundai being (usually) more conservative Toyota like)

For those who don't believe Kia is now right up there with Honda and Toyota, please test drive one!

In the early fall my Dad bought a 2022 Kia Sorento PHEV. Previously he's always owned Camrys or Accords.
I went with him to test drive Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid (Prime wasn't available) and the Kia Sorento. While the Toyota is nice (the Prime version is also hella fast), the Sorento's interior looks higher end, more modern with the clean wide screen/digital gauges. The fit/finish seemed to be a cut above the Toyota.

When you use the turn signal one of the digital dials shows the side camera for blind spots, which is a cool feature.
It's AWD and has a "snow" terrain mode so in most places you won't get stuck or fear driving in wintry conditions. With a combined 261hp and 258 lb-ft of torque it's no slouch, even if much slower than a Rav 4 Prime.

He loves it. It looks great, its fully loaded with panoramic moonroof, Bose stereo, has a very nice light grey leather interior with quad captains chairs, heated and cooled seats, and will do ~52km on full electric. When the electric range is exhausted, the 1.6L turbo 4 cylinder kicks in. It's so quiet in electric that one really notices when the gas engine starts running lol
Since my Dad's retired and lives in a small city most of his driving is in full electric mode. Overall it will do a combined 79MPG-equivalent (EPA numbers).

I think with his driving he's getting closer to 90MPG-equiv. With gas prices at $1.50/litre or higher it makes a huge difference.

It also pollutes 3.3 times less in GHGs (EPA figures) while using 1/3 the barrels of oil of the 2009 Camry he owns.
He bought it right before the car lots started to go empty with lack of new vehicles due to the chip shortage + high demand during the pandemic.

It looks very similar to this but with the new 2022 logo as seen on the steering wheel.
I just ordered a 22 Sorento HEV myself. Would have gone with the PHEV, but the wait is at least a year. The HEV is 4-5 months as it is. This will be my third Sorento, I have really enjoyed them. I also looked at the Rav4 last fall, but they aren't in the same class, and I could barely get in it. I'm 6'5 and a big guy. I looked at the Toyota Venza on the weekend and also found it small. I had looked at a 2016 Venza back when I bought my current Sorento and really liked it, but the new style isn't comfortable. Actually hurt my back trying to get out of it lol. Really looking forward to my new Sorento. Should be my last gas vehicle.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 2:40 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I just ordered a 22 Sorento HEV myself. Would have gone with the PHEV, but the wait is at least a year. The HEV is 4-5 months as it is. This will be my third Sorento, I have really enjoyed them. I also looked at the Rav4 last fall, but they aren't in the same class, and I could barely get in it. I'm 6'5 and a big guy. I looked at the Toyota Venza on the weekend and also found it small. I had looked at a 2016 Venza back when I bought my current Sorento and really liked it, but the new style isn't comfortable. Actually hurt my back trying to get out of it lol. Really looking forward to my new Sorento. Should be my last gas vehicle.
That's awesome. Glad to hear. Which colour?
I was never in previous models but as a reader of MotorTrend the fit/finish looks to be better than ever

yeah my Dad was lucky. Right after he bought it the Kia dealer said the upcoming shipments would be sparse and that they were going to have to lay salespeople off. Crazy what this chip shortage has caused! combined with greater demand during the pandemic

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
That's awesome. Glad to hear. Which colour?
I was never in previous models but as a reader of MotorTrend the fit/finish looks to be better than ever

yeah my Dad was lucky. Right after he bought it the Kia dealer said the upcoming shipments would be sparse and that they were going to have to lay salespeople off. Crazy what this chip shortage has caused! combined with greater demand during the pandemic
I ordered Red. My current is black, my last one was grey, so I was after some colour this time. I like the aqua green they have in the regular gas versions but they didn't make it available in the hybrids. I really liked the interior of the 22.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 5:29 AM

Still waiting for the "Model T" of electric vehicles. Battery prices have plummeted, and you still have to pay $38 000 for a Chevy Bolt. This is a $20 000 car in ICE form.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Still waiting for the "Model T" of electric vehicles. Battery prices have plummeted, and you still have to pay $38 000 for a Chevy Bolt. This is a $20 000 car in ICE form.
I'm sure something from China will be available sometime in the near future. The more established brands won't bother playing in that space. Not enough margin.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
What if you prefer taking gravel roads and narrow paved country roads over main highways? eg on the way back from Goderich recently, after going to Port Albert (nice place), I returned to KW via isolated paved and gravel roads through villages and hamlets like Dungannon, Ethel, Peffers, Kingwood. I find main highways boring.

Maybe this range anxiety could be solved though a hybrid hydrogen/battery electric system, with a micro tank of hydrogen on board?
That's the fringiest of fringe cases. Who's going to drive 500kms+ exclusively on gravel?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada