HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:10 PM

This design does appear to show that whatever is built on this site will have interesting massing, due to the creek setback angle AND the Cesar Chavez setback angle.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 12:11 AM

Wow. This and the ~900 footer were two Gensler iterations for Block 185 that knocked it out of the park. I love the sculpture-feel this one has and I think the different layers could have even been conducive to mixed-use activations (like an outdoor public restaurant on one of them). As someone who aspires to go into the development industry, I think the architecture-developer relationship is discounted. I wouldn’t be in the business to simply print cookie cutter profit-machines. I think a development goes way beyond just the financials, so I’d always place a premium on design. Any high-rise is going to be a significant financial investment, so if millions of Capital is going to be deployed regardless, why stop short. Short version: Design needs to be apart of the calculus.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:11 AM

LORDTY LORDTY THATS GREAT! I do feel that final building needs something to poke through the 400ft plateau.....

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 6:53 AM
Meh

In case anyone is having trouble saving those images since they're not JPEG files, you can convert those files using this website. I was having trouble myself. Thanks goes to my brother for directing me to it. You simply copy and paste the image URL onto this website, select the file type, and it gives you a converted file that is savable.

https://ezgif.com/webp-to-jpg

The alternative is to take screenshots of them.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
In case anyone is having trouble saving those images since they're not JPEG files, you can convert those files using this website. I was having trouble myself. Thanks goes to my brother for directing me to it. You simply copy and paste the image URL onto this website, select the file type, and it gives you a converted file that is savable.

https://ezgif.com/webp-to-jpg

The alternative is to take screenshots of them.
Firefox and Chrome can convert most images to jpeg using steps below.

Firefox: Right click on image --> select "open in new tab" --> Right click on the image in new tab --> select "view file" --> jpeg
Chrome: Right click --> "open link in new tab" --> right click on image in new tab --> "open image in new tab" --> jpeg

Then just right click on the (now jpeg) image to "save as".

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:30 PM

It's happening. The site plan has been filed and it's CC Approved - meaning it's set to go into review and project details should be available soon. From the site plan:

Quote:
mixed use development with associated retail, commercial, parking, residential and other associated improvements.
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=5073765

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:41 PM

#obligatory

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 9:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

What is happening though? Aside from worded details we have no clue what this building will look like or how tall it will be. Let's hope they release renderings before too long.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
What is happening though? Aside from worded details we have no clue what this building will look like or how tall it will be.
After a very long wait the site plan was filed which means this is officially a project. That's what happening. I know everyone likes renderings, but we should know some details within about two weeks.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:23 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
After a very long wait the site plan was filed which means this is officially a project. That's what happening. I know everyone likes renderings, but we should know some details within about two weeks.
True, I'm a renderings whore. Can't get enough...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
True, I'm a renderings whore. Can't get enough...
We all are. But verbiage on city permits is the foreplay leading up to the big rendering release.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:46 PM
Member since 2001

Does anyone know what the current zoning FAR is for this property? The site seems to be 55,321 SF.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
...foreplay leading up to the big...release.
I see what you did there.....

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:07 AM

Quote:
We all are. But verbiage on city permits is the foreplay leading up to the big rendering release.
That's simultaneously funny and ewwww.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 10:50 AM

I'm told this is only a preliminary site plan to test the validity of certain assumptions such as driveway locations. There is still plenty of actual design work to be done.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:51 PM

delete

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I'm told this is only a preliminary site plan to test the validity of certain assumptions such as driveway locations. There is still plenty of actual design work to be done.
The site plan was updated with info today, and you're right about the driveways. They are calling the site plan "conceptual" because of all the issues with the site including setback rules, access/driveways restrictions, 2nd St. retail requirements, etc.
It sounds like they have a project, but want to make sure it works with the site as designed. They state that the placement of the building on the site will max out the footprint and square footage. But this will be a nice sized tower once that stuff is worked out. It's all office. It will have 711,370 sq. ft. of office with 8.1K of retail space. Over 700K sq. ft. of office on this site will require a relatively tall tower due to the setbacks.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=5073765

Last edited by The ATX; Apr 26, 2018 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the atx View Post
over 700k sq. Ft. Of office on this site will require a relatively tall tower due to the setbacks.
[/url]
hot damn!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
The site plan was updated with info today, and you're right about the driveways. They are calling the site plan "conceptual" because of all the issues with the site including setback rules, access/driveways restrictions, 2nd St. retail requirements, etc.
It sounds like they have a project, but want to make sure it works with the site as designed. They state that the placement of the building on the site will max out the footprint and square footage. But this will be a nice sized tower once that stuff is worked out. It's all office. It will have 711,370 sq. ft. of office with 8.1K of retail space. Over 700K sq. ft. of office on this site will require a relatively tall tower due to the setbacks.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...yAi8EoIA%3D%3D
Given that Block 71 is 680k square feet, and this is even larger, we should be seeing at least a 600' tower, correct?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Given that Block 71 is 680k square feet, and this is even larger, we should be seeing at least a 600' tower, correct?
I'm estimating 50-stories/700'. I'm basing that on the fact that it will need to be similar to the tower in that 900' rendering to maximize square footage with the required setbacks on two sides. We don't know the square footage of that rendering. But if we did, we could make a good guess about the height of this project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin