HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 11:26 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Also, how about manufacturing takes advantage of the other kind of infrastructure that carves up our city and is, really, the whole reason this city exists? Good old rail.
Fabricate details in St. James and ship them by rail to Transcona for assembly?

Rail was abandoned 40 years ago for this purpose as it is far too slow and cumbersome. For JIT it would be the last choice in every case.

Rail is really only good for containerized overseas and bulk shipments like crude oil, coal and grain.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Fabricate details in St. James and ship them ... to Transcona for assembly
Do companies do this? Do they own both fabrication and assembly? If so that seems way inefficient.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 11:47 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Sometimes, but I was referring to sub-contract fabrication which is done extensively here and everywhere.

Chrysler Corp. for example is in the business of designing, assembling and marketing automobiles. They do not make any of their own parts.

Last edited by Riverman; Feb 6, 2014 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:35 AM

I was recently in Bridgewater Forest and I noticed that they have put up a new set of traffic lights at North Town Road and the future Kenaston Blvd expansion. They are the same style lights as at Donald and Graham (straight arm). Does anyone know if the city is changing the style of traffic signals to this design?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisforpm View Post
I was recently in Bridgewater Forest and I noticed that they have put up a new set of traffic lights at North Town Road and the future Kenaston Blvd expansion. They are the same style lights as at Donald and Graham (straight arm). Does anyone know if the city is changing the style of traffic signals to this design?
Yes they are going to a new style of signal pole and ped corridor pole, they tendered for the new style a few months ago.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 9:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisforpm View Post
That style of straight angle post gas been the staple for most of Western Canada, Ontario and the US for many years now, even in any parts of Manitoba outside of Winnipeg. Winnipeg itself has a unique style of traffic light post, with several bends and angles that makes us unique with regards to traffic light post style in North America, although I have seen them in European cities a few times. I'm kind of sad they will be phasing them out to look like everywhereelsenoethamerica (especially Ontario it just has that look to it), but what can you do.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Yes they are going to a new style of signal pole and ped corridor pole, they tendered for the new style a few months ago.
So far I've only seen them with one traffic light on them. I wonder if they will eventually have multiple lights mounted on one arm at larger intersections?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 10:52 PM
BANNED

If they are going to go this new route with the traffic light posts, I wouldn't mind seeing them mount the light horizontally like they do in the rest of the prairies. I find it suits straight arm posts much nicer than vertically mounted lights.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:03 AM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:20 AM

Thanks for posting that. I do like the dual light heads, especially for wider streets such as Bishop and Kenaston.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:57 AM

I wonder if they will also order the old style for traffic accident replacements? If not we could see both the new and old style poles at the same intersection next winter.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 6:54 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

This is pretty good:

Vandal playing politics with Provencher truck route issue

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...243907201.html

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
This is pretty good:

Vandal playing politics with Provencher truck route issue

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...243907201.html
So according to the Trucking Association, we should continue to hold back the potential of a major urban neighbourhood so that big trucks don't have to bother taking an inconvenient detour on their way to Transcona.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:29 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So according to the Trucking Association, we should continue to hold back the potential of a major urban neighbourhood so that big trucks don't have to bother taking an inconvenient detour on their way to Transcona.
As I read it the article is more about the report, as done by a professional engineer, saying that eliminating the truck route is a bad idea.

The street in itself is a perfect truck route - nice and wide, wide medians with lots of room for trucks to turn. As far as developing a walkable street is concerned, Marion is a far better choice.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
As I read it the article is more about the report, as done by a professional engineer, saying that eliminating the truck route is a bad idea.

The street in itself is a perfect truck route - nice and wide, wide medians with lots of room for trucks to turn. As far as developing a walkable street is concerned, Marion is a far better choice.
Sometimes when making these kinds of decisions, you have to take into account considerations beyond those related strictly to engineering and transportaiton. I'm sure that a traffic engineer would recommend a relatively simple solution to rush hour traffic jams in Osborne Village... just demolish the buildings along either side of Osborne, expand the road to 8 lanes and boom... a perfect engineering solution. However, that won't make Winnipeg a better place.

Same with Provencher. Is shutting it down to trucks going to impress engineers or win friends among truckers? No. But who cares, some things are more important than either of those are.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 9:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

provonchea dead ends into a industrial park

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 1:08 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I'm sure that a traffic engineer would recommend a relatively simple solution to rush hour traffic jams in Osborne Village... just demolish the buildings along either side of Osborne, expand the road to 8 lanes and boom... a perfect engineering solution.

You're sure of that? I'm sure engineers are a lot more creative than that. In fact, what you have said is just silly.

Quote:
Same with Provencher. Is shutting it down to trucks going to impress engineers or win friends among truckers? No. But who cares, some things are more important than either of those are.

It's not about impressing anybody.The study was commissioned by Vandal himself and it showed that he was wrong. There is no reason to support changing Provencher from what it is when there is a far superior street for shops, bars etc, in Marion. Removing trucks from Marion makes far more sense.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Removing trucks from Marion makes far more sense.
Really? With the Dugald-Marion alignment currently in the works, and basically running through the heart of the St. B industrial park, it seems like Marion would make more sense.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 4:39 PM

Reg: Traffic Lights

Officials say employees in the public works department have been testing a number of products to better protect the electrical connections, and have settled upon a gel-like waterproof cover.

Up to 80 locations will be outfited with the new covers this year, with the tentative plan being to add the waterproof covers at all 645 signalized intersections next year. The total cost is estimated at $550,000, city officials said.
-SunMedia

Seems like a reasonable solution. I don't have any experience in this field. Does it seem like a plausible solution ? Cost affective?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Reg: Traffic Lights

Officials say employees in the public works department have been testing a number of products to better protect the electrical connections, and have settled upon a gel-like waterproof cover.

Up to 80 locations will be outfited with the new covers this year, with the tentative plan being to add the waterproof covers at all 645 signalized intersections next year. The total cost is estimated at $550,000, city officials said.
-SunMedia

Seems like a reasonable solution. I don't have any experience in this field. Does it seem like a plausible solution ? Cost affective?
Well, well, isn't that typical of Winnipeg, putting a French safe on a electrical connection where a Bandaid just did fine for years. I wonder if they have them in different colors? $550,000 for that??????

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan