HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 9:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
There is nothing to keep someone (although I hope it's not UG since they couldn't figure out how to get out of a paper bag) from coming and asking the city to amend the post bonus height map to get 27 floors. Given the fact that twisted sisters had been approved; it seems to me that amending the map limit would be okay - so long as everything else stayed the same (all the other rules).
I wonder if any developers have been courting UG for the purchase of this site. Other parcels of land have been developing with smaller buildings. This lot would yield more profits in the long term.

It's been a total bummer that United Gulf has been quiet for so long, and even more frustrating that the city hasn't taken any steps to encourage progression of this vital space in the downtown.

The new aerial photos posted by someone123 are nice, though. The Sisters Sites will be a welcomed addition to the Spring Garden area, even if they are 'just' midrise buildings.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 12:33 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Repost:

A different angle, 1931:

Source
Anyone know what that large open area west of the citadel was?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 1:01 PM

^It's the QEII lands. Its technically still part of the commons but has developed into institutional (hospital) uses which are allowed in the area (see Citadel High, former QEH).

It was before my time but I think the VG was the main hospital until the 1970's when they built the QEII Health Sciences Centre. I'm not sure if this was before or after Abbey Lane was built.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^It's the QEII lands. Its technically still part of the commons but has developed into institutional (hospital) uses which are allowed in the area (see Citadel High, former QEH).

It was before my time but I think the VG was the main hospital until the 1970's when they built the QEII Health Sciences Centre. I'm not sure if this was before or after Abbey Lane was built.
Just to enlarge upon these comments. The Halifax Infirmary was also a major hospital on Queen St.
Notice the lands you are talking about have some very low rise buildings. They are the old Camp Hill Veterans Hospital. I believe it was 1 story with several wings, wood construction with strange siding/shingles. This before Queen Elizabeth H S and obviously before the current hospitals on the site.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 5:07 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Just to enlarge upon these comments. The Halifax Infirmary was also a major hospital on Queen St.
Notice the lands you are talking about have some very low rise buildings. They are the old Camp Hill Veterans Hospital. I believe it was 1 story with several wings, wood construction with strange siding/shingles. This before Queen Elizabeth H S and obviously before the current hospitals on the site.
Thanks. That is exactly what I was trying to figure out (if that was Camp Hill or not). I don't think I have ever seen a picture of it while it was truly Camp Hill. Very cool.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Thanks. That is exactly what I was trying to figure out (if that was Camp Hill or not). I don't think I have ever seen a picture of it while it was truly Camp Hill. Very cool.
I can well imagine there are not a lot of pics of Camp Hill. It looked very crappy, low cost, military. I was in there once to visit my Grandfather. I seem to remember a sun room at the end of the hallway.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 3:16 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Another aerial photo:

Source

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 6:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A recent Halifax shot:

Source

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:43 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
A recent Halifax shot:
Very nice. The TD Centre expansion will have a positive impact when complete and lit at night. The Cunard Apartments and Canada Bank towers will also stand out.

I am not sure how visible the Nova Centre will be from this angle?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 8:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Very nice. The TD Centre expansion will have a positive impact when complete and lit at night. The Cunard Apartments and Canada Bank towers will also stand out.

I am not sure how visible the Nova Centre will be from this angle?
And the Alexander, if it ever gets re-organised.

The Nova Centre won't be visible from this traditional angle, almost certainly given the likelihood that some form of the '22nd Commerce Square' proposal will get built, filling the gap that currently exists amongst the bank towers.

There will be brief opportunities to see the Nova Centre from the bridge. They'll make for some incredible density shots, during clear, summertime, AM lighting.

EDIT --

Example:

Source

Last edited by RyeJay; Nov 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 9:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

As far as the Nova Centre goes, the third crane hasn't gone in yet and I am not sure they are at their full height, so it's possible they could appear in the view above.

The Citadel towers make the city look a lot bigger. In the past (e.g. before even the Martello) the skyline was a lot sparser. The gaps make the city look smaller and I think a layered look (ideally lots of buildings of different sizes with a few focal points) is more interesting.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 9:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a picture I took back in 2004 or so when the Martello was being built. The TexPark had not yet been torn down and Salter's Gate wasn't built yet. The Nova Centre towers and Bank of Canada will be very noticeable from this angle:

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 10:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
As far as the Nova Centre goes, the third crane hasn't gone in yet and I am not sure they are at their full height, so it's possible they could appear in the view above.
If the photo were updated, the two currently standing cranes, I believe, would be visible directly behind the steeple of the St. Paul's Anglican Church, seen from this angle as between the Barrington and CIBC towers.

I have an excuse to cross the bridge at some point, I suppose.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 4:24 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a recent picture from Twitter showing the Nova Centre cranes:

Source

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 4:36 AM
Honored Member

Quote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZn-WmnCcAAYB4Z.jpg:large
Source[/URL]
That is a nice view of the city. It will look even better with the Nova Centre, Citadel Hotel lights, TD Bank lights, Bank of Canada tower, Commerce 22, Roy Building, Discovery Centre/1595 Barrington Street tower ...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 10:55 AM

Just a very strange idea, but wouldn't it be interesting if buildings could switch to various colored lighting at nite. One building might switch to all blue, another to green or one might even switch to several colors to create various light designs.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 12:19 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Just a very strange idea, but wouldn't it be interesting if buildings could switch to various colored lighting at nite. One building might switch to all blue, another to green or one might even switch to several colors to create various light designs.
I think that would be interesting. It could be done with LED lighting.

It is being done with the CN Tower in Toronto - http://www.blogto.com/city/2007/06/c...ime_and_grape/

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 12:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Source

Thanks again for another great picture!

The Citadel apartment building that has topped out is much bigger than I thought, and is going to have a much better view of the harbour than I had considered. I want to live in that area. Living by the Citadel Hill, the waterfront, and the Commons... it can't get much better than that!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 6:24 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:46 PM
Honored Member

It is good to see a recent skyline picture.

The TD tower is starting to stand out and there are still 3 more floors to go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos