HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:18 PM

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/l...dge-an-eyesore

Quote:
The city has spent millions of dollars on the new funicular installation. I wonder if there will be any money left for repainting the awful Low Level Bridge rust below it. The rust eating the bridge is an embarrassing sight for tens of thousands of us crossing it daily.

Rudi Zacsko Sr., Edmonton
100% agree

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
The rust alone likely has a historical designation.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:56 PM
Community Guy

September opening for the Funi!

June 2017

Construction of the Mechanized River Valley Access (MRVA) began in March 2016 and is anticipated to be completed by late 2017. The City of Edmonton thanks drivers, businesses, and trail users for your patience as we complete this exciting new addition to our river valley.
Completed Work
The funicular has been installed and tested. Glass for the funicular canopy has also been installed at the promontory.
Electrical work, including conduits for the urban stair and promontory, are complete.
Precast concrete work is complete.
Pilings have been installed to support the art bases near the promenade.
Earthworks, including landscaping along urban stair.
Work in Progress/Upcoming Work
Installation of light fixtures and glazing guards (glass railings) along the urban stair.
Connecting the funicular to the City of Edmonton's network.
Completing bridge work: railings and Kebony wood finishes.
Installation and testing of the elevator.
Installation of project art.
Grand Opening
The City and its funding and construction partners are looking forward to opening the MRVA to the public this fall. The project is on track to open in September. A public notice and stakeholder invitation will be sent out prior to the event. Stay tuned!
River Valley Alliance (RVA)
In 2013, the City of Edmonton received $72.9 million in funding for five initiatives as part of the River Valley Alliance (RVA) Capital Project. Of this, the RVA contributed $48.6 million, and the City of Edmonton contributed $1.7 million. The remaining funding was granted from the provincial government. The Mechanized River Valley Access project is part of the City’s RVA initiatives and has a budget of $24 million.

The RVA is a collaboration of the seven municipalities along the capital region’s North Saskatchewan River Valley that share a common goal – to preserve, protect and enhance the river valley park system for the year round accessibility and enjoyment of citizens and visitors.

In January 2013, the RVA launched a major $90 million Capital Project that includes 13 priority initiatives in 18 sites. The Government of Canada is contributing up to $30 million through the Building Canada Fund – Major Infrastructure Component towards the RVA Capital Project. The Government of Alberta is also contributing $30 million through the Capital Region River Valley Park grant.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:27 PM

Just for reference here are the photos of what the funicular will look like again

http://www.dialogdesign.ca/projects/...ccess/gallery/

Still wondering about cost to use it. Also I had thought the funicular went all the way from top to bottom but looking at photos there is still quite a distance non funiculared to travel.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:29 PM
Community Guy

Free.

You funicular down to the plateau, walk across the bridge and then stair or elevator down to the trails.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:11 PM

Nice^

Good to know it's free. cant beat that price

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 10:28 PM

My only worry about the funicular is security and keeping it safe. Last thing we want are riff-raff keeping people away or get drugged up and vandalize the bloody thing.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
My only worry about the funicular is security and keeping it safe. Last thing we want are riff-raff keeping people away or get drugged up and vandalize the bloody thing.
You got that right. We need private security there after 6pm through the night.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:21 AM

Edmonton council gives approval for engineering work to improve ‘End of the World’ site
http://globalnews.ca/news/3560333/ed...he-world-site/

Quote:
Edmonton city council gave the go-ahead Tuesday for engineering work to be done on the lookout known as the “End of the World.”

The popular point overlooks the North Saskatchewan River and offers breathtaking views of the river valley.

“I understand why people go there, I’ve gone down to take a look at it,” Mayor Don Iveson said after the decision.

“I won’t go anywhere near the edge, I think people who walk out there are nuts.”

Construction won’t be done until a geotechnical study says it’s safe to do so. The city will start by looking at the piles that already exist in the structure in an effort to make sure they’re not making an already bad situation worse.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:13 AM
Community Guy

Unlikely there will be private security, but EPS will be a regular visitor and CPTED will deter many at various times.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Unlikely there will be private security, but EPS will be a regular visitor and CPTED will deter many at various times.
Lets hope its not a drug dealing staircase like the one beside and east of Chateau Lacombe.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
I really wish they get cracking on the west Low Level Bridge rehab. It's beyond embarrassing.

10 years ago they did a full rehab of the east bridge c/w widened concrete sidewalk. It just needs some rustproofing and painting but it's fine otherwise.

The west bridge was not done 10 years ago and is way overdue for a similar rehab. Besides the rust and the narrow wooden walkway, the mismatched bridges side by side look rather silly.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I really wish they get cracking on the west Low Level Bridge rehab. It's beyond embarrassing.

10 years ago they did a full rehab of the east bridge c/w widened concrete sidewalk. It just needs some rustproofing and painting but it's fine otherwise.

The west bridge was not done 10 years ago and is way overdue for a similar rehab. Besides the rust and the narrow wooden walkway, the mismatched bridges side by side look rather silly.

I'm old enough to remember the original NB Low Level bridge, when even the shortest buses (35') took up a lane and a half, and backed up traffic significantly. It was rebuilt in the early 80s, I think, don't know if it's been touched since then.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:16 AM

Finally a reason for me to visit the Zoo

Flesh-ripping Komodo dragons arrive at Edmonton Valley Zoo
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...t-edmonton-zoo

Quote:
Edmonton has its first dragons. Four-year-old female Komodo dragons Ophelia and Saphira arrived at the Valley Zoo last week and are now on display for visitors.

The venomous lizards are on loan from the Calgary Zoo until permits to send them to Memphis, Tenn., for a breeding program are complete. Their previous enclosure in Calgary is being converted for a new exhibit.

“These animals are quite rare,” Wade Krasnow, the zoo’s animal care team lead, said Wednesday. “They’re actually considered vulnerable and so for us to be able to hold them is an honour and it helps us improve our standing within the worldwide zoo community.”
Quote:
The zoo will hold carcass feedings every other Sunday at 10:30 a.m., beginning this weekend. Visitors are welcome to watch.
Quote:
The pair will be in Edmonton until at least October and possibly longer.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:20 PM
Derp

For those who haven't been to the zoo since the old Storyland Valley Zoo days, it's seen much improvement, lots of reasons to go still, especially for young families.
Granted, they are beginning more renovations to much of the area around the paddleboats and petting zoo which may be a bit inconvenient, but the result will be worth it http://www.buildingourzoo.com/revita...wild-backyard/

The Komodo's will be in the old theater/classroom space of the Saito Centre, they had it all ready to go when I was there last week

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 12:57 AM
Community Guy

twitter.com/dbayeg

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:47 PM

Funicular construction in final stages, set to launch in fall

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ch-in-the-fall

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 7:43 PM
Community Guy

How about something like this next!

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 7:57 PM

Yep, that Heritage Trail could use some lovin' Not a huge fan of the name mind you.

Needs some sculptures or something to serve as selfie ops. Days of yore I'd have said photo op. Sadly, selfie op is now the more accurate term.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 11:03 PM

We definitely need a short or long term plan to connect the trail from the west to the funicular.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton