HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 12:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
and wheres goulet?
Seriously? You don't know where Goulet is?

It runs parallel to Marion.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 3:30 AM

whenever at the Forks, I make a point of getting a chicken roti and a ginger beer at Bindys. Deen's is also good, and you can get a beer there with your meal.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 3:59 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i find theirs to dry
Just ask for them to make it juicy and they add some sauce from the chicken. Makes a big difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.online View Post
careful... that's some fighting words there my friend. i'll give ya Bindy's for best roti in town (esp. their shells), but roti like that would put them out of business in T&T in a year.
Haven't been there but I image you're right since that is where Bindy hails from. Deen's is very good too but it doesn't seem to be open that often.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 5:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

it does not help they got rid of their bison roti either

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 10:46 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Ours is a single page right now, mostly large ads for companies in Alberta, or things like pharmacists and surgeons.
Sounds about right. Add Mining to the list.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 2:21 PM
BANNED

Target buying Zellers for $1.8B
CBC News

U.S. retailer Target said Thursday it is buying Canadian discount retail chain Zellers from Hudson's Bay Co. for $1.8 billion.

Under terms of the deal, Zellers locations will continue to exist under that brand name for "a period of time," HBC said in a release. But Target will open 100 to 150 Canadian locations in 2013 and 2014 and assign the rest of Zellers' current network of 220 stores to other retailers.

"This transaction provides attractive long-term value and will allow us to invest substantial capital into our department store and specialty store businesses to continue to drive growth," HBC governor Richard Baker said in a release.

The sale of these leasehold interests is estimated to create over 20,000 net new jobs in Canada and has the potential to generate over $1.5 billion in Canadian economic activity through the renovation of Zellers locations, the release said.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 2:30 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
CBC News

U.S. retailer Target said Thursday it is buying Canadian discount retail chain Zellers from Hudson's Bay Co. for $1.8 billion.

Under terms of the deal, Zellers locations will continue to exist under that brand name for "a period of time," HBC said in a release. But Target will open 100 to 150 Canadian locations in 2013 and 2014 and assign the rest of Zellers' current network of 220 stores to other retailers.

"This transaction provides attractive long-term value and will allow us to invest substantial capital into our department store and specialty store businesses to continue to drive growth," HBC governor Richard Baker said in a release.

The sale of these leasehold interests is estimated to create over 20,000 net new jobs in Canada and has the potential to generate over $1.5 billion in Canadian economic activity through the renovation of Zellers locations, the release said.
Wonder what the means for the Zellers located downtown.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 2:57 PM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Thumbs up

Sweet!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Wonder what the means for the Zellers located downtown.
Target executives probably aren't blinded by irrationality, they likely are looking for select locations, and not the entire chain. Thus, I'd be very surprised if the downtown Winnipeg Zellers location was one of their targets. Unless, Baker wants to auction off the entire Zellers chain for a song, I don't think we'll be seeing Targer in downtown Winnipeg any time soon.

On a related note, Zellers is a disgrace of a retailer, and I welcome a takeover in whole or in part. Bring on Target.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:20 PM
surely you agree with me

that's a shame....more americanization of canada....80 years of canadian retailing history...gone with a pen stroke.

i doubt the zellers downtown will continue...eventhough it appears to be quite successful....they would have to rent space from the bay, which i doubt they would do....too bad.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:26 PM

Quote:
CBC News

Grand Forks just lost their biggest draw

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:31 PM
surely you agree with me

once the ikea development opens they might as well roll up the streets in GF and fargo.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i doubt the zellers downtown will continue...eventhough it appears to be quite successful....they would have to rent space from the bay, which i doubt they would do....too bad.
I would think that if the Zellers is truly successful in the downtown location, that Target would want to monopolize on that concept somehow. I'm sure some sort of an agreement can be made between HBC and Target.

If there is profit involved, someone will make it work.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:45 PM

free press article says the bay will continue to hold onto some properties.. so there's still hope!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:52 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
once the ikea development opens they might as well roll up the streets in GF and fargo.
I don't think it's all doom and gloom for Fargo and Grand Forks.

As long as Canadians keep getting ripped off to the tune of 30% extra (plus sales tax) for the same products bought at the same stores there will always be cross-border traffic.

Went to Thief River falls earlier in the fall, $5.50 for a Big Mac meal at McDicks.

The same thing costs $10 up here!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:55 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^^ Go to a different McDick's then. I just had a Big Mac meal and a cheeseburger yesterday and it cost me $8.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:58 PM
the first stamp is free

It's pretty incredible just how bad Zellers was managed. It could have been hugely successful if they just attempted to copy Target's store products, layouts, and most of all cleanliness.

Zellers has just sort of been flapping around in the breeze for the last 10 or 15 years. No direction, no improvements, dirty stores, just bad.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:59 PM
BANNED

I admit I am guilty from time to time of cross border shopping, but even with a high Canadian dollar the prices in the US on most items are priced pretty similar in Canada. Most grocery items aside from dairy are actually cheaper here, most electronics are similarly priced etc. The major savings you do find are on big ticket items such as cars and certain appliances.

The allure of going to GF and Fargo is more for a break, couple nights in a hotel and dinners at restaurants not seen here.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Went to Thief River falls earlier in the fall, $5.50 for a Big Mac meal at McDicks...The same thing costs $10 here.
I would never drive over 2 hours just to save a few bucks on a Happy Meal...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:48 PM

Quote:
I admit I am guilty from time to time of cross border shopping, but even with a high Canadian dollar the prices in the US on most items are priced pretty similar in Canada. Most grocery items aside from dairy are actually cheaper here, most electronics are similarly priced etc. The major savings you do find are on big ticket items such as cars and certain appliances.

The allure of going to GF and Fargo is more for a break, couple nights in a hotel and dinners at restaurants not seen here.
I agree. I go to Grand Forks on occassion not so much to save a tonne of money buying stuff but for the experience and the unique products that you can't buy in canada. Cherry Coke, Cookie Crisp etc

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan