HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 1:02 AM
Wen Lambo

Agreed.

I am pretty sure TCU will not be in the title game if they win out and these other teams lose. Florida and Bama still have to play, so one will lose. Iowa has been shaky and I doubt they will go unbeaten.

Poor BSU, even if they win out will get snubbed from any BCS games even at 12-0 unless TCU loses.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 6:49 PM
NYC Rick

Hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
If 4 of the 5 teams ahead of TCU and Boise St. lose by the end of the year (Texas or Florida, Cinci, 'bama, Iowa) and TCU and Boise run the table, do you see any chance they get into the title game?
Absolutely NO chance!!!!

These teams are not last year's Utes let alone Texas, Florida, Alabama and on and on.

TCU and Boise, if they are undefeated, deserve a BCS bowl...they are not even close to NC teams.

If they both go undefeated, I just hope some idiot does not pair them up in a BCS bowl. Kind of like kissing your sister...yawn.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 6:56 PM
NYC Rick

Iowa has not been shaky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post

Agreed.

I am pretty sure TCU will not be in the title game if they win out and these other teams lose. Florida and Bama still have to play, so one will lose. Iowa has been shaky and I doubt they will go unbeaten.

Poor BSU, even if they win out will get snubbed from any BCS games even at 12-0 unless TCU loses.
That Iowa team is damn good. They also play serious competition that neither TCU or Boise see week in and week out.

I love the Utes and I repect TCU, BSU and even BY High but none of them play teams like the automatic BCS conferences have.

Do not get me wrong all of the above can beat BCS schools and do it pretty regularly but in truth none of them can get a resume of competition that the BCS conferences deliver.

In truth Utah totally deserved 04 and 08/09. BSU defintiely deserved the Fiesta. This year none of the above seem to have that extra whatever it is that you can see in the very best teams.

If some one woke up and created another conference with the very best competitive schools in the west region, that are not BCS now, then we would see a conference that could play anytime and anywhere and beat almost any team.

Playing Wyoming, UNM, SDSU, and UNLV gets really old in football. I mean, not one of these schools has played quality football forever. Basketball is different but in football these teams truly suck.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 11:57 PM
Bring out the cranes...

So it looks like the Utes won't know who they will start for their quarterback until game time this weekend. It might still be Cain, however it might be freshman Jordan Wynn.
Terrance Cain started the first seven games, after being down 3-10 at halftime last weekend to Wyoming. ( Yes you heard right, Wyoming ) Whittingham replaced him with freshman Jordan Wynn in the third quarter, and that kid finally was able to put some points on the board.
I would like to see Jordan Wynn start this next game just to see what he can do. Personally I think Wynn is a little bit better then Cain.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 12:04 AM
I like this much better

CU is changing their fight song to "taps"

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Storybook ending

CHIEFTAIN PHOTO/BRYAN KELSEN -- Colorado State University-Pueblo head coach John Wristen reacts as players dump a cooler of ice water on him at the conclusion of their game Saturday against Adams State College in Alamosa. The ThunderWolves baeat Adams State 41-7 in their final game of the season.

"I'm just mad we didn't put that in sooner," CSU-Pueblo head coach John Wristen said after his team finished 7-4 overall and 6-3 in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.

That made them ranked #3 in the RMAC, not bad for a second year team!

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/articles/20...35344738.txt:D

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 6:11 AM

Boise BCS blocked

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

RUSTON, La. – Is it cowardice or collusion?

Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier is all but begging for a major opponent – any major opponent – to play his Broncos, particularly in 2011. He can hardly get his calls returned. Not by the SEC. Not by the Big Ten. Not by anyone.

Bleymaier is making a nearly unheard of offer in college football scheduling – Boise will bring its popular, high-profile, top-10 team to any stadium in any town to play any big name team in America in 2011. And they don’t have to return the date in Idaho.

So far, no one has bit.

ESPN has even become involved trying to broker a deal that will almost assuredly be nationally televised. Still no luck.

It’s the kind of non-conference game that should have schools salivating. Boise delivers an opponent that will challenge your players, exposure that will extend your brand and a home game that will excite your fans.

“It’s been surprising how many big schools have not been receptive of us coming to their place,” Bleymaier said.

This is the conundrum for the upstart program and every non-major conference school trying to battle for national respect.

Boise is 44-4 over the past four seasons, including 4-1 against major conference opponents. Yet that doesn’t guarantee the Broncos a slot in a big money BCS bowl due to the level of competition they play in the Western Athletic Conference.

The school acknowledges it needs to play tougher teams. Yet how can they beat quality opponents if quality opponents won’t play them?

What Boise is left with is games like Friday’s here. They traveled 2,000 miles to beat Louisiana Tech 45-35, a conference game, and improve to 9-0 on the season. For that they practically had to apologize because it wasn’t a blowout.

“That’s how it always is when we play,” coach Chris Petersen said. “It’s never good enough. It’s good enough for us, we won. If you’re looking to win by so much, if you’re looking for style points, if you’re looking to play for the polls, which we’re not, it’s not going to be good enough.”

Petersen has had it with arguing about whether the Broncos deserve a BCS bid. All he can do is win games. His team beat the one major opponent that would play them this year – a 19-8 victory over Oregon in the season opener.

Yet he deals with questions about who his team plays in the WAC. Boise won consecutive games this year by a combined score of 99-16 and dropped from No. 4 to No. 7 in the BCS standings. Petersen said he wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped again this week. They may again put together a perfect season only to be left out.

The only answer is to play better non-conference opponents. Next season they have games against Oregon State and Virginia Tech. After that though, things may be drying up. In 2011, they can’t get one game, let alone two.

So are the big schools scared of playing Boise? Avoiding tough non-conference opponents is the new trend in college football thanks to the BCS. The championship system discourages dangerous, if exciting, out-of-league scheduling as it continues to sap the life out of the regular season.

Or, perhaps, this is how the major conferences are going to deal with the Broncos.

Put it this way, if no one good agrees to play Boise then Boise can’t beat anyone any good. And if Boise can’t beat anyone any good, then how can they ever argue they’re deserving of a spot in a $17.5 million BCS bowl?

“I don’t think it’s collusion,” Bleymaier said. “I think it’s athletic directors going to their football coaches and saying, ‘hey, what about playing this school?’ If coaches had their druthers they’d play sisters of the poor 11 times.”

Still, the frustration is obvious.

“Some of those schools that are saying ‘let them play our schedule’ won’t play us,” Bleymaier said.

That no one will accept Boise State’s offer is absurd. This isn’t a decade ago, when playing the program was no-win situation. If you won, you were supposed to win because no one had heard of them. If you lost (which was likely) it was a disaster.

There can’t be any college fans left who don’t know how good Petersen’s team is. A game against Boise would bolster anyone’s home schedule. It would be a huge game. The television exposure would be invaluable.

Maybe Florida and Texas don’t need a game with Boise (they can ride non-conference cupcakes to the title game). A middle of the pack Big Ten or Big 12 team certainly does though. Boise’s program is more famous than all of them – the Broncos are on true national television seven times this season alone.

Yet no one wants the game. They’ll schedule mismatches from the old Division I-AA instead (and charge full ticket price). Bleymaier has to keep his composure as he listens to the critics.

Last year Utah went 13-0 yet didn’t have a chance to play for the BCS title. At a Congressional subcommittee hearing University of Nebraska chancellor and BCS figurehead Harvey Perlman was asked what the Utes could’ve done differently.

“They could have played the schedule Nebraska did,” Perlman said.

While it’s par for the course for the BCS to have a leader who has no idea how college football works, what can a Boise State do in the face of that kind of ignorance?

Would Boise accept an invitation to join the Big 12?

“Yeah, of course,” Bleymaier said. “If we were in their conference we’d play that schedule.”

Not only is that not happening they can’t get one game against the league. While Bleymaier won’t say specifically which schools have turned him down, he will say that the open date remains – Sept. 3, 2011. The offer stands, the Broncos will go anywhere.

And, lo and behold, guess which major conference school happens to have an open date? How about Harvey Perlman’s Nebraska, the one-time powerhouse which could use all the big attention grabbing games it can get these days?

Don’t hold your breath on that one – chicken or collusion, the result is the same.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 7:02 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
That made them ranked #3 in the RMAC, not bad for a second year team!

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/articles/20...35344738.txt:D

Maybe if they beat a real team. Chadron State was a fluke and I predict that CSU-P will remain at #5 or below for the next decade or so.

BTW Eeyore, CSU-P ended up ranked #4. Just above the shit stains and just below the actual "real" teams. Stop trying to place the team better than it actually was.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
Boise BCS blocked

This is the real lame thing about the BCS. Teams like BSU, Utah, TCU, Houston, etc. would love to play games against the big boys, even as far as doing a one and down road game. If nebraska's president or AD or whomever that jackass had any resemblence of a manhood, he would jump at the chance to play Boise St.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:41 PM
ColoRADo

Buffs got a much needed W. Maybe fans should poke fun every weekend by wearing baby blue t-shirts representing the dark days of CU football:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Maybe if they beat a real team. Chadron State was a fluke and I predict that CSU-P will remain at #5 or below for the next decade or so.

BTW Eeyore, CSU-P ended up ranked #4. Just above the shit stains and just below the actual "real" teams. Stop trying to place the team better than it actually was.
I did not know that, last I saw was this article:

Third-place finish on the line for ThunderWolves

Win against rival Grizzlies would cap banner season at CSU-Pueblo.

Since they won I thought they were 3rd place...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 11:17 PM

TCU #4 in BCS Standings.

It really looks like winner of Florida, Alabama vs. Texas for the championship. TCU could finish 3rd however in the standings.

That's sad about BSU. Utah State has the same problem in basketball - mainly because they demand a home and home and no one will bite.

I don't really understand it though as BSU has really made a name for itself, to the point that beating them means something, and losing to them isn't going to kill you. The bottom line though is most teams in the major conferences already have more than enough big games to play in their division, and adding another hard team doesn't make too much sense. Either the WAC needs to really improve football wise or BSU needs to move conferences.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 11:24 PM
Wen Lambo

I am sure if BSU's season plays out like it looks it will, they will be avidly looking to jump ship from the WAC to anywhere else...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 4:40 AM

The WAC is terrible. Even Fresno State isn't really what it used to be.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 2:45 PM

Quote:
I am sure if BSU's season plays out like it looks it will, they will be avidly looking to jump ship from the WAC to anywhere else...
But if they win out and finish in the top 5 or 6, they just might get an at large birth in a BCS game. I think this is the worst case scenario for the downfall of the BCS, well, other than a non AQ school getting into the championship game. Either occurence just adds to the pro BCS argument: see, the system is fair.

I would love to see the MWC add Boise if the conference were to get an automatic bid. But that does nothing for the downfall of the BCS. I must admit though, if the MWC had an automatic spot, I would be pro BCS.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 5:04 PM
BANNED

What is up with Denver? I was at the game last night and it sucked. I hope they figure out what's wrong I would not be a happy camper if they blew the lead again this year....

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 5:10 PM
NYC Rick

Since the MWC is not interested in BSU...

Quote:
They might as well go independent. Since they could not afford to do that then they are basically screwed.

I mean, there are 2 true western conferences. The PAC and the MWC. The PAC is never going to take Boise State and the MWC is not interested. I think they would be great in the MWC.

Then again, I think the MWC blows. Past Utah, BY High, TCU and Air Force there is only dead air.

BSU will be looking elsewhere for a very long time, which is not fair because they have an awesome program.

Go Utes!!!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East2Westback View Post
They might as well go independent. Since they could not afford to do that then they are basically screwed.

I mean, there are 2 true western conferences. The PAC and the MWC. The PAC is never going to take Boise State and the MWC is not interested. I think they would be great in the MWC.

Then again, I think the MWC blows. Past Utah, BY High, TCU and Air Force there is only dead air.

BSU will be looking elsewhere for a very long time, which is not fair because they have an awesome program.

Go Utes!!!
You sure about that? I have never heard that the MWC is not interested. Quite the contrary. I think adding boyzee state is a great thing if and ONLY if it would ensure an automatic BCS bid for the conference. There is definite interest from both parties.

Big game this week. TCU wins and MWC should have another quality BCS bowl team. For the good of the conference, GO FROGS!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 6:52 PM
NYC Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
You sure about that? I have never heard that the MWC is not interested. Quite the contrary. I think adding boyzee state is a great thing if and ONLY if it would ensure an automatic BCS bid for the conference. There is definite interest from both parties.

Big game this week. TCU wins and MWC should have another quality BCS bowl team. For the good of the conference, GO FROGS!
I am not disagreeing with you but with BSU's performance record you would think that even an idiot like Hair Thompson would really be making moves to get them in the MWC...hmmm...like about 4 years ago.

The thing is that only Fresno State sets up national schedules and there were reasons that they were not included. Nevada is a nowhere team that every so often looks ok. There resume is totally unimpressive.

The thing that really bothers me about the MWC is that the same teams underperfom every year. Depressing! Additionally the top 3 always kick a$$ every year.

There is something wrong with that picture.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 8:06 PM

BSU has publicly stated that they want to join the MWC and the MWC has done nothing about it. Thompson stated at the time that he wanted to focus on the teams already in the conference (how he could do anything about them is a mystery to me) and not worry about expansion for a while. So he effectively said "sorry BSU, we don't want you, at least not now". That was a jackass move in my opinion. One thing he said that is true is that one has to look all all sport that a school takes part in and not just football, as well as facilities and fan base, etc. But I think BSU compares well to most other MWC schools in most other criteria as well, so I wish they would be allowed to join.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West