HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 9:37 PM

Lightbulb How long until atlanta does right by its people?

Hello all. This ismy first time posting after being a spectator fr a very long time, and hve a serious question despite the tounge-in-cheek topic header.

How long do you all think it will be before we see a development here in atlanta that will really capitalize on the potential that this city has in regards to a genuine pedestrian experience? So far we have "The District" in Atlantic Staton which is nice, but just doesn't cut it. I'm talking about a real street experience complete with neon and billboards a la Times Square, Yonge& Dundas (Toronto), Hollywood Blvd, Picadilly Circus and that great square in Tokyo that no one knows the name of.

Just to put this in perspective, I personally believe that the 12th & midtown development site could be prime for this type of "in-your-face, wow!!!" experince that Atlanta lacks, needs, and has the potential to pull off tastefully. Another thing is that there are so many places in the city where it could work.

Do you believe that it could happen in the near future considering the current economic conditions, and if so, where?

I hope i struck a nerve, now have at it!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 3:46 PM

Northern Atlanta shut down by chicken truck

Friends of mine up there tell me nobody could get to work until after 11:00. The cost of something like this must run into the tens of millions.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 4:26 PM

When the hell are they going to put reflective glazing on the windows of the Westin. It looks like King Kong took pot shots at it all day.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 10:05 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
When the hell are they going to put reflective glazing on the windows of the Westin. It looks like King Kong took pot shots at it all day.
Maybe you can give them some of your stash of 1976 curved glass windows so they can get things back to normal.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 10:38 PM

Kemira plans R&D center at Technology Enterprise Park

Kemira will combine and move its North American research and development facilities to Technology Enterprise Park in Atlanta.

The Finnish water and fiber management company currently has six locations in Georgia and more than 100 worldwide. The new facility will house research and development on technologies and products for the pulp and paper, water treatment and oil and mining industries. The new center will create 85 jobs and will be Kemira’s only research and development location in North America.

Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Someone was telling me that those rooms missing windows are actually being used. That on the inside they've actually blocked up and secured the window, sheetrocked it, and painted it.

Apparently one complaint abou the Westin is that the rooms are just too bright with all that glass, that with a part of the glass wall filled in they're a lot cozier.

I'd almost hoped that with so many windows out that they'd go ahead and do something creative with the glazing, work in some patterning with the glass coloring (Like Portman likes to do now), or maybe break up the big grid with some random smaller gridding and coloring, to make it a little funkier.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 7:44 PM

Took a little walk around downtown for lunch today:

The AJC posted a dead projects list a few weeks ago and included the hotel going in the Carnegie building -- well, they had Carnegie Way closed and were lifting sheetrock into the upper stories and it looked like there was a full construction crew working. I think it's a go

Looked at the block again across from Rialto, I guess the big ugly deck does belong to the Equitable building so the Japanese hotel must be going in just the surface lot which is fine by me -- it will finally block the view of that giant expanse of grey. Put a couple of theatre-crowd pleasing restaurants on the ground floor for the Rialto and Balzer and they'd be set!

The Marriott Marquis renovation looks terrific. The level above the registration desk really completes Portman's original design with the walkways now bowing in to follow the contours of the atrium rather than the straight lines that used to be there. Love how Pulse almost looks like something that belongs in the giant ribcage above. The sports bar, High Velocity, looks really cool and has a much better beer selection than the old Champions used to have (probably no free popcorn, though). The Hyatt and Hilton are going to have to get going soon, they look pretty retro in comparison.

Checked out the exhibits at the Museum of Design Atlanta. Some sort-of interesting stuff this time.

I guess the owner gave up on the Rose house. It's for sale for $1.5 million. There's a website with 11 very low-res photos.

Pleasant Peasant and Micks have a sign that they are only closed for renovations. Hmmm. I thought the entire Micks empire was totally dead?

Nothing going on at the Spotted Dog space. Sure hope somebody takes it over soon.

Beautiful day for a walk

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
Someone was telling me that those rooms missing windows are actually being used. That on the inside they've actually blocked up and secured the window, sheetrocked it, and painted it.

Apparently one complaint abou the Westin is that the rooms are just too bright with all that glass, that with a part of the glass wall filled in they're a lot cozier.

I'd almost hoped that with so many windows out that they'd go ahead and do something creative with the glazing, work in some patterning with the glass coloring (Like Portman likes to do now), or maybe break up the big grid with some random smaller gridding and coloring, to make it a little funkier.
They should do something like that. It is still a reminder right now of the tornado blasting through. Plus, it'd make the hotel more appealing anyways.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 1:38 AM

Checkerboard patterns in neon that would be so psychedelic.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post

True. It was in the paper. They also said it would probably take the rest of this year before all the windows could be replaced.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Sep 25, 2008 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 12:00 PM

I love that view of the Equitable from this room. It's still one of the most sophisticated looking towers in the city, even after 40+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 8:52 PM

Atlanta ranked Third in green building

Atlanta had 134 registered and 24 certified LEED buildings as of late 2007.

1. Portland, OR
2. Washington, DC
3. Atlanta, GA
4. Seattle, WA
5. Denver, CO
6. San Francisco, CA
7. Boston, MA
8. Sacramento, CA
9. Austin, TX
10. Las Vegas, NV

SustainLane

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 3:14 PM

The next hearing regarding St. Mark’s properties collectively referred to as "768 Juniper Street" is scheduled for Friday, October 3, at 1 PM at City Council Chambers (Atlanta City Hall, 68 Mitchell Street – Downtown). The congregation of St. Mark is appealing the City's notice of denial of their application (for demolition of three existing structures and development of accessory surface parking fronting Juniper Street).

unbelievable that they want to tear down bldgs for surface parking in the middle of the city.

St. Mark's email: office@stmarkumc.org.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Atlanta had 134 registered and 24 certified LEED buildings as of late 2007.

1. Portland, OR
2. Washington, DC
3. Atlanta, GA
4. Seattle, WA
5. Denver, CO
6. San Francisco, CA
7. Boston, MA
8. Sacramento, CA
9. Austin, TX
10. Las Vegas, NV

SustainLane
If my company's backlog is any indicator, this is just going to keep on growing.

And I say this as a freshly minted LEED Acredited Professional.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 5:49 PM

Castleberry Loft Tour

Just thought I would toot my hoods event this weekend. Plus my place is one of the lofts being featured. Come on bye and check out Castleberry this weekend.

Thanks all

http://www.castleberryhill.org/lofttour/

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 5:50 AM

Amendment 3

Have you guys looked into this yet?

Quote:
Shall the Constitution of Georgia be amended so as to authorize the General Assembly to provide by general law for the creation and comprehensive regulation of infrastructure development districts for the provision of infrastructure as authorized by local governments?"
Looking at the full law, it seems to me like this is giving private developers almost the power to tax and to issue municipal bonds with little transparency (hearings, etc) and if they were to go broke, the county would be on the hook.

Am I missing something? Is this a good idea?

fulltext

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 11:53 AM
Reliable Source

No, it's not a good idea. It's not transparent.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 3:27 PM

B,

Took your advice and did the loft tour. Not once, but twice. Went by myself on Saturday and brought my partner with me on Sunday.

I've been on these once or twice before. I'm always amazed by the spaces! The art gallery loft (I believe it was #6) was breathtaking, but didn't seem realistically liveable (well, unless you have lots of money AND an art gallery). I bet you could throw some nice parties there, though.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the tour, and judging by the crowd, it must have been successful.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 1:56 AM

Central Atlanta Progress is in the process of updating the Imagine Downtown vision. There has already been a lot of progress in the 4 square mile downtown area.

Code:
                 2000              2008

Housing Units   10,546            18,575
Population      21,502            37,872
A snapshot of the office market reveals a much improved downtown office market.

Imagine Downtown update presentation

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Central Atlanta Progress is in the process of updating the Imagine Downtown vision. There has already been a lot of progress in the 4 square mile downtown area.

Code:
                 2000              2008

Housing Units   10,546            18,575
Population      21,502            37,872
A snapshot of the office market reveals a much improved downtown office market.

Imagine Downtown update presentation
I didn't know Cumberland was now larger than Perimeter Center... or does the Northwest number also include Marietta and Kennesaw?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta