HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:07 AM
Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Not if you have the driver's licence plus from Québec !
We have it in Manitoba too, it's not just in Quebec................

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
We have it in Manitoba too, it's not just in Quebec................
Bravo !

Seriously... I did not know about that, all my excuses ... . .. .

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 4:01 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
When the majority of cars are traveling at 110+ anyway on the trans-Canada and on 75 why not raise the speed limit. I've traveled in Montana when there was no a speed limit on even two-lane highways and saw no problems.
Man, if you can't travel at 110 across the Prairies where can you do it?

I'm talking about flat, treeless drives at 100 km/hr, which nobody abides by.

If you ask me, the speed limit across MB, Sask, Alberta should be the same as it is across Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana..(75 mph / 120 km) minimum and possibly faster.

In fact, driving across Western Canada... i'm a proponent of having no speed limits at all..

Such a sparsely populated area, with good visbility and clear blue skies..you should be able to WHIP IT!

Now, that's Western living.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 8:47 PM
So very tired...

Twinning work and construction of wildlife overpass just east of Icefields Parkway turnoff in Banff National Park.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 10:12 PM

Just out of curiosity, is Ontario the only province where the Trans Canada Highway has such a weak identity? Maybe it's because most of the population isn't on the route, but I don't think I've ever heard people call it the Trans Canada in regular conversation. It's always the 400, Highway 17, etc. To anyone in my part of the province, the closest branch is just a number - Highway 7 - and I doubt many people would even know it's part of the Trans Canada.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
Just out of curiosity, is Ontario the only province where the Trans Canada Highway has such a weak identity? Maybe it's because most of the population isn't on the route, but I don't think I've ever heard people call it the Trans Canada in regular conversation. It's always the individual highway numbers - the 400, Highway 17, etc. I doubt most Ontarians would even be able to tell you where the Trans Canada branches are. Where I grew up in Peterborough everyone just calls it Highway 7.
I agree with you. Nobody in Ottawa calls the Trans Canada Highway by its name. Its either called the 417 or the Queensway.

I would prefer for Canada to adopt a national highway numbering system along motorway/freeway/expressways (or whatever you call them) like is the case in the US and Europe. Instead of multiple TCH routes that branch off in Ontario, give route numbers and develop a standard that makes it easier to transverse the country on one single numbered route.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathgrith View Post
I agree with you. Nobody in Ottawa calls the Trans Canada Highway by its name. Its either called the 417 or the Queensway.

I would prefer for Canada to adopt a national highway numbering system along motorway/freeway/expressways (or whatever you call them) like is the case in the US and Europe. Instead of multiple TCH routes that branch off in Ontario, give route numbers and develop a standard that makes it easier to transverse the country on one single numbered route.
I see you quoted me before I edited

I think each province is too interested in their own turf for that to happen. Highways are provincial jurisdiction after all.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 11:18 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
I see you quoted me before I edited

I think each province is too interested in their own turf for that to happen. Highways are provincial jurisdiction after all.
What did you edit?

As for numbering; I know its a provincial jurisdiction, but it would just look better to have a standard number for a route across the country. Something tells me that Canada is the only G20 country that does not have a national highway numbering scheme. Germany, the US, and Australia are all federations with national highway numbering schemes.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 1:47 AM
I am a typical

There are three highways designated as part of the Trans-Canada up here. We have to be specific. In most other cases, the route the Trans-Canada follows has another name. Besides that, the Kings Highway system preceded it. It's more well-known and expansive, while Trans-Canada is little more than a special designation, like the "Great River Road" or "Highway of Heroes".

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Man, if you can't travel at 110 across the Prairies where can you do it?

I'm talking about flat, treeless drives at 100 km/hr, which nobody abides by.

If you ask me, the speed limit across MB, Sask, Alberta should be the same as it is across Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana..(75 mph / 120 km) minimum and possibly faster.

In fact, driving across Western Canada... i'm a proponent of having no speed limits at all..

Such a sparsely populated area, with good visbility and clear blue skies..you should be able to WHIP IT!

Now, that's Western living.

I agree with this, but I think some compromises would be needed! Maybe 120/km/hr speed limit on open stretches, and an adverse weather conditions, or truck speed limit a bit lower...

Small towns for which the highway runs through would need to have slower zones... (or bypasses built), and urban highways would need to be a bit slower to account for traffic volumes... i.e. Calgary, winnipeg, Regina Ring Roads... but otherwise, yeah, dial it up where its possible!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 4:04 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathgrith View Post
I've always found it strange that the TCH shield does not even appear on the overhead signs on the Queensway as it goes through the National Capital, while it is on the overhead signs on the A-40 in Montreal.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 6:07 AM
I am a typical

I don't think it is signed on the highway here, either. The only green highway signs are the 30+ year old trailblazer signs in Intercity.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 4:58 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
There are three highways designated as part of the Trans-Canada up here. We have to be specific. In most other cases, the route the Trans-Canada follows has another name. Besides that, the Kings Highway system preceded it. It's more well-known and expansive, while Trans-Canada is little more than a special designation, like the "Great River Road" or "Highway of Heroes".
Well, Highway 11 was designated before Highway 17 was built around Lake Superior. The highway through Chapleau used to be signed as a TCH route as well, but must have been delisted at some point. They should really just stick to one route. No one who says they're taking the Trans-Canada across northern Ontario would be understood as referring to Hwy 11. Same with the attempt to pretend that the Yellowhead highway is some sort of alternate Trans-Canada.

I have a huge map from the mid-1920s showing the Trans-Canada Highway "Red Route" through western Canada. There was also a Blue Route. So the name "TCH" was already in use long before the postwar federal government effort to create the existing TCH.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 9:16 PM
I am a typical

There are northern and southern branches to the highway across the country.

If the 401 was added, every major city would be on the TCH.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 10:18 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to just wait for Toronto to sprawl up to the existing TCH?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 11:46 PM

Why the hell are there 2 distincts TCH on the shores of the St.Lawrence river, the one on the north shore is useless? Why the hell that route in northwestern Quebec, and that other one that splits in Thunder Bay? And the most mysterious question remain the utility of that little piece of TCH on the little island off the shores of BC!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 12:23 AM
Heart of the Continent

The northwester Quebec one is the shortest way across the country in terms of kilometers.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
There are northern and southern branches to the highway across the country.

If the 401 was added, every major city would be on the TCH.
No it wouldn't. Halifax is still off of the TCH. The last thing we need is for the 102 to have the TCH tag added to its already long list of official names.

The map actually has an error. The Bi-Hi (Hwy 102) is not TCH and neither is Highway 7 (or whatever is shown on the map). If you actually look closely the random red line in NS would end out in Musquodoboit Harbour and not even come close to Halifax anyways.

Oh and I doubt you count it as a major city but SJ isn't on the route.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 1:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

We don't need just one national road; we need a federally designated network of major inter-urban expressways connecting across the country, built to exacting specifications and standards and with a coherent numbering system. In other words, we need a Trans-Canada Highway system, just like the U.S. interstate highway system.

What we have now is a confusing patchwork of roadways with little standardization. For a G8 nation which is also the second largest country in the world, what we have now is nothing short of a national embarrassment!!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
We don't need just one national road; we need a federally designated network of major inter-urban expressways connecting across the country, built to exacting specifications and standards and with a coherent numbering system. In other words, we need a Trans-Canada Highway system, just like the U.S. interstate highway system.

What we have now is a confusing patchwork of roadways with little standardization. For a G8 nation which is also the second largest country in the world, what we have now is nothing short of a national embarrassment!!
Right off the top of my mind I can think of two routes that need a set of standards like that;

Sydney - Halifax - Moncton - SJ - Fredericton - Quebec City

Quebec City - Montreal - Toronto - Windsor

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada