HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 10:00 PM

I think Mike hit the nail on the head.

I also liked this line from commentor Monforts:
Quote:
Protecting irreplaceable history is admirable; dictating new history is not.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 2:20 AM

Since Art DeMuro is redeveloping in Old Town, shouldn't there be a conflict of interest in him making decisions about what the properties surrounding his buildings should look like?

I'm sure he is a stand up guy, as many have said, but I am very weary of his strict interpretation of what a historic district should or shouldn't allow. I mean, he is against the proposed glass storefronts under the Burnside Bridge because of the lack of historical interpretation, but there is the glass arcade just across the parking lot where that head shop is/was. If they can turn around that station and those empty parking lots by adding in space for a coffee shop and a few other smaller businesses while Mercy Corps and the U of O are across from the station, what a great urban space!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 6:05 PM

This one isn't over yet. I wish he'd spoken with Sten's office.

Homeless center sparks debate among Chinatown neighbors
PDC is looking at the possibility of splitting up a proposed homeless advocacy development, which had previously drawn ire of neighborhood association

POSTED: 07:46 AM PST Tuesday, February 19, 2008
BY TYLER GRAF, DJC

A proposed expansion and relocation of two homeless advocacy organizations to a lot known as Block 25 in Chinatown has created a triangle of controversy, pitting the city, neighbors and homeless advocates against each other – and placing the Portland Development Commission in the hot seat to come up with a solution to appease everyone.

Homeless advocates are pushing to relocate Transition Projects, which helps homeless people move off the streets, into a bigger building to expand services into a new program called the Resource Action Center. By moving from its current location on Northwest Glisan to Block 25 near the Chinese gardens, Transition Projects would be located on the same block as Blanchet House, a day center for homeless people.

But neighbors in the area say they’re worried that putting the two organizations so close together would attract a higher number of homeless people than the neighborhood can accommodate. Area residents would rather see private development on Block 25.

The PDC originally agreed with homeless advocates. But now the development commission is offering another option – one that neighbors find more attractive. The PDC has suggested moving Transition Projects to Block U, located across the street from the post office on Northwest Hoyt Street and about a quarter-mile west of Blanchet House.

“The idea to split up the development only became available recently,” said Shawn Uhlman, a public affairs manager with the PDC.

Transition Projects’ Executive Director Doreen Binder says Block U is an acceptable location for Transition Projects. What isn’t acceptable to Binder, however, are the attitudes she feels she’s encountered from residents. In response to allegations by residents that the city’s original plan to move Transition Projects to Block 25 wasn’t transparent enough, Binder points out that neighbors have been included throughout the process. They’ve been included in meeting with city commissioners and the PDC. They’ve also been asked to present their own recommendations.

But through it all, Binder says, no one has really listened to what Transition Projects has had to say.

“Our recommendation will always be based on what is best for our population,” Binder said. “I don’t give a damn what the neighborhood association thinks (because) the not-in-my-backyard attitude doesn’t work with me.”

Carol McCreary, president of the Old Town/Chinatown Neighborhood Association, said residents of China Town are concerned that the neighborhood’s vitality is being shortchanged in favor of creating a dumping ground for the city’s low-and-no income residents.

“You put all these people, with no income, on this one block, surrounded by other blocks that are already suffering,” McCreary said. “How come, all of a sudden, we’re not talking about economic development?”

At a Wednesday morning City Council meeting stakeholders within the community testified against the Block 25 proposal. Their recommendation was for the city to look closely at splitting the project up among Block 25, with the expanded Blanchet House staying there, and Block U, in order to spread out the project, relieving some of the stress of having all the services on one block.

Richard Louie of the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association said at the City Council meeting that he didn’t believe Block 25 was big enough to support all of the aspects of the development, and that it would hurt future vitality in the neighborhood.

“We also believe that the new center will bring (homeless) people from all over the city to our neighborhood,” Louie said.

Binder says she and her organization are tired of fighting against such sentiment from the neighborhood. She’s tired of explaining that her organization, if placed at Block 25, would only be moving a block and a half. That’s why, as of last Wednesday afternoon, Transition Projects said it would support the plan to locate its Resource Action Center to Block U.

This is welcome news to the residents of Chinatown who continue to believe that their neighborhood could undergo economic revitalization in the near future.

“It may take several years, but the PDC should look at Block 25 as a real investment,” McCreary said.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 7:19 PM

Thumbs up UO-Portland a study in growth

Old Town - The university's White Stag block presence will be 50 percent bigger than planned as offerings expand
FACTBOX
White Stag block

Tuesday, February 19, 2008
STEPHEN BEAVEN
The Oregonian Staff
The University of Oregon's new home in Portland will be more than 50 percent bigger than initially planned when it opens next month in Old Town, with room for a larger library and more law and architecture courses.

The university, a catalyst in the city's effort to rebuild the old Skid Road neighborhood, eventually may end up filling all three of the interconnected historic buildings that will serve as its new headquarters here.

"I think most of us believe that in 10 years, we will be occupying the whole thing," said Terri Warpinski, the vice provost overseeing the new site.

The recent expansion and the potential for more are the latest examples of the university's ambitious push into the Portland market. They're being driven, Warpinski said, by new academic programs and closer relationships between the UO's professional schools and the local business community.

The university views Portland as a prime location to help students get internships and jobs. Students see Portland as a huge urban classroom that offers more learning and career opportunities than Eugene.

"The city is a great laboratory for young architects and designers because there's a lot going on right now," said Rosanne Lynch, a graduate student in the UO's architecture program.

The UO signed a lease in May 2006 for nearly 67,000 square feet on the White Stag block, which has been renovated as part of a $37 million redevelopment.

But as planning progressed, the university's footprint in the three buildings grew to almost 103,000 square feet, said Craig Kelly of the Venerable Group, owner and developer of the site. The property totals about 142,000 square feet.

The half-mile move north from the UO's current Portland home at 722 S.W. Second Ave. will begin March 11. The first classes -- in journalism and continuing education -- will start with the spring term on March 31. The move will continue through the summer and is expected to be completed by Aug. 15, Warpinski said.

The university is among four tenants that have signed leases on the White Stag block, bordered by Northwest Naito Parkway, First Avenue, Couch and Burnside streets. The buildings aren't full, Kelly said. But future expansion by the university depends on the length of leases signed by other tenants.

Since the UO announced plans to move to Old Town, academic leaders at schools within the university have broadened some programs and asked for more space.

The School of Architecture and Allied Arts added a degree in product design and grew from an initial plan for 15,000 square feet to more than 20,000.

The UO School of Law is offering new classes in environmental law in Portland, Warpinski said, resulting in 800 to 1,200 square feet of additional space.

The library grew to about 6,000 square feet from a proposed 1,200 to 2,000 to allow more room for students to work together on academic projects.

There has also been talk of offering additional classes in the schools of business and law, and adding curriculum from the school of education.

Warpinski said many of the programs in Portland are self-supporting through tuition and endowments.

But the UO's aggressive growth in Portland has sparked concern among some faculty at Portland State University, a mile and a half south, raising questions about the duplication of academic programs and funding inequities within the Oregon University System.

"At a time when PSU is struggling to find the funds to build the space it needs," said Ethan Seltzer, a professor of urban studies at PSU, "apparently it's not a problem for U of O to come up with 103,000 square feet in downtown Portland."

Stephen Beaven: 503-294-7663; stevebeaven@news.oregonian.com

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...100.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 10:07 PM

Ankeny Waterfront project: What’s up Dock?

Dock design requires public input in order for city to maintain crucial water rights to rebuild the structure
Daily Journal of Commerce
POSTED: 06:00 AM PST Thursday, February 21, 2008
BY TYLER GRAF

Cordoned off by a chain-link fence and sitting useless on the Willamette River for years, Waterfront Park’s Ankeny Dock needs a new life.

With a new beginning comes renewed interest from river stakeholders such as Portland Fire and Rescue and the Multnomah Sheriff’s Department, which would use the dock in the event of emergencies. The city’s River Renaissance project, which envisions a seasonal ferry service running across the Willamette River, also has big plans for the dock.

Knowing this, Portland Parks and Recreation is beginning to look at possible design options for a new dock, but the process isn’t necessarily a straightforward one.

Due to permitting guidelines that apply to docks, the department must undergo a public process before it demolishes the dock or risk losing its rights to build a replacement in the future, said Sandra Burtzos of Portland Parks.

“I wish we didn’t have to design this now,” Burtzos said, “but considering how the permitting works, we have to or risk losing our rights.”

Although the dock is considered a relatively small piece of the larger Waterfront Park project, for which the Portland Development Commission will release a bid next week, it is nonetheless integral to both the river and the redeveloping park, said Andrew Jansky, dock engineer on the project.

“Replacing this dock is more economical in the long run,” he said. “And the fire department and Sheriff’s Department need the dock in case there’s an emergency near the water or in the water, so they can get there.”

Overall, the Waterfront Park project will expand from the north edge of Burnside Street and extend southward. Near the current location of the dock, a plaza will be built that will house Saturday Market and other events under an 8,500-square-foot canopy. The south end of the park will feature a bowl-like amphitheater and a fountain, intended to bookend the Salmon Springs fountain and create a northern gateway into the park.

Michael Montgomery, manager of the city’s River Renaissance, says the rebuilt dock will also breathe new life into the river. He would eventually like to see Ankeny Dock and other docks that exist along the river become access points for a seasonal ferry system, which he says would spur private development.

“This is (a) critical point on the river,” he said. “Much of the economic vitality of this area keys on this dock.”
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...-city-to-maint

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 3:17 PM

Cranky old town blogger mentions Uwajimaya developer

Neighborhood meeting
Posted by Larry Norton, community blogger March 04, 2008 20:16PM
Categories: Old Town, PDC, Uwajimaya

I don't have all the information and am relying only on information gleaned from sitting in another meeting tonight. But, more of the same promises were made again by more of the same people for more of the same reasons, blah, blah, blah.

Once again the 'leaders' have chosen to spout the talk (they never walk it) about how they will 'spend' funds for Old Town projects. This apparently came from the Westside/FOUR meeting at City Hall.

This 'talk,' not the first time, often comes coincidently with support for Old Town from the League of Women Voters. I don't believe that Old Town understands just how supportive they have been to our needs.

Frankly, without the League's support, I doubt that Old Town would ever be a recipient of economic development funds.

The Uwajimaya Asian Market was mentioned briefly, but it is clear that PDC is just getting started on this and there will be a shift away from the characterization as an Uwajimaya project.

Thus, it may well be called the Goldsmith Blocks project. Wait a minute - wasn't that the name anyway?

It was mentioned that parking and housing - some part affordable - are components of the Goldsmith Blocks project. [See Uwajimaya & Uwajimaya more].

An interesting design analogy is Museum Place (downtown SW Jefferson St.) where Safeway is at the bottom. Same developer - if I heard correctly.

I have tried not to take a position on the market hoping that others would add something to the discussion. But, I am not sure that people understand.

Why? Because many positive stories are often offered for the market location here in Old Town, except that the testimonials are in the vein of 'how nice it would be.'

Trouble is that there is a 'but.' Given that there is a limited amount of money (TIF), options, alternatives and facts need to be presented and discussed.

I think I got that tonight from a PDC representative, but it has seemed in the past as well as tonight that the hopefuls' eyes glassed over whenever reality is spoken.

My point - one cannot support a project just because it would be nice. At least, not when you are part of the community from which PDC wants an input. Reality: whenever a project is determined to be funded - some other project is dumped.

Toot toot. Also mentioned at the meeting it was mentioned that River District urban renewal district does not have the money to fund the Old Town projects. Gee - where have I heard that before?

More on the above after I have had a chance to steal information from the journalists.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 2:44 PM

Old Town Uwajimaya!

PDC better not screw this up. This is the single most important project in Old town in years.

http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...-chain-Uwajima

Sockeye plans big development for Portland’s little Chinatown

Seattle-based Asian market chain Uwajimaya would serve as anchor tenant for proposed mixed-use development in the downtown Portland neighborhood...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 3:30 PM

^ this would literally be 100 ft from their offices (PDC). I'm assuming they want this just as badly as we do.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 5:17 PM

I feel so bad for the PDC people, they are vilified constantly. Most anytime there is a 'screw up' it is when other politicans get involved, or things just don't work out financially, enough bashing them. I know they aren't perfect but you would think they were completely useless they way people go on.

That being said. Sounds like a great project!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 5:24 PM

edit

Last edited by Okstate; Mar 11, 2008 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 10:18 PM

all smiles here from the suburban boy hoping to move downtown some day...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:04 AM

I think UofO and Mercy Corps is more important to the district than this faux grocery store, being that 99% of our Asian population lives outside of downtown. However, I will welcome it in 2010 or 2012, whenever it starts progressing.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 5:27 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Retention of graduated asian business majors from PSU? It certainly isn't a fake grocery store, tho. It's even family owned, I think.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 5:56 AM

no kidding, mark, have you been there? it's awesome, definitely check it out.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:37 PM

It's definitely not 'faux' and would be a great addition to the core, especially considering the empty surface parking lot where it is planned.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:38 PM

Okay, faux was the wrong choice of words. I have been in the Beaverton store and it is nice. It's also a huge boon to have another grocer in downtown.

But 'China Town' just irks me as a faux piece of crap district. I should have better directed my comment at the district, than the store. I wish we could think of how to get the homeless people waiting for services inside buildings in order to change the district. I have NO problem with homeless people, but I do have an uneasy feeling walking through large populations of drugged up looking people.

A couple weeks ago when I was walking some guy walked up to me and started touching me saying some crazy shit. I walked through a crowd and someone grabbed my backpack, although he did apologize when I flung around. A lady was standing in a tree well, STANDING, and started to piss, right there.

Until we can humanize parts of the area, all the new development will do is keep pushing these people into further corners of downtown.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 5:15 PM

I too have seen plenty of crazy shit in old town. That area has a LOOONG way to go before it becomes a desirable part of DT.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 5:39 PM

I am in Old Town almost every weekend and occasionally during the week and never have these problems. I must be completely oblivious! I feel perfectly safe. I also walk from Old Town (4th and Davis) up to 11th and Stark fairly often so I get a good overview of the area. Yeah, there are a few people that obviously aren't very well to do, but actually problems? None really. Granted no area is perfect and I will welcome and new development, but I just don't see this seriously nasty stuff that I keep hearing about.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 6:04 PM

It happens. I've seen it, but I've also seen far worse in other places - which still doesn't make it good here. It's a sad commentary on american society that we have a federal government that inadequately funds mental health, essentially throwing people on the streets, add that to the crippling effects of drugs and you've got a dangerous cocktail.

Regarding the nature of Chinatown, it's a mix of both of creation - streetscape and gate - and real - benevolent societies and social clubs. There still exists some history in the district so it's not exactly a vegas theme park. I remember reading about the overall development plan of OTCT was to 'dilute, not disperse', which if I understand it, is to develop as a city - incorporating all elements - not to make it a Bridgeport Village.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 5:36 AM
Well designed mixed use

There's still a pretty significant Asian presence, and some really kick-ass Chinese food. Have you guys ever been to Good Taste--a Cantonese bbq shop and noodle house on 4th Avenue? It's incredible. Fong Chong is good for Dim Sum, Republic is pretty good as well. There are a few Chinese herb stores, a Chinese language school, and a Japanese historical society. I don't think Uwajimaya would be interested if the community wasn't there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland