HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
My turn!

I've been there twice for drinks and it looks to me like someplace that should be packed with mall-banged girls (not a compliment, BTW). All the black and white banquettes, the amber colored "inverted-glass calla lily" light fixtures, gaudy crystal chandeliers and the fireplace video is a little too 'Jersey' for my taste.
The speciality drinks (at $12!!!) are suprisingly small, taste a lot like fruit juice and are served by an overly-plucked bartender with major attitude.

The sofas along the front windows, while attractive, are an awkward size...way too deep. You either slouch over at the front of the sofa or, if you slide all the way back, your legs stick straight out...not something that I, at 6'1" encounter too often and I felt like I was back in primary school.

The food I saw delivered to the tables looked great and if I have enough hairspray left, I may return.

Sounds like it should be in Buckhead.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 9:11 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
That would be my suggestion.

Personally, I really dont care about the zoo whatso ever. I just think zoos are just lame, unless they are done right, such as NO or SD, etc. If so they can be awesome, but Zoo ATL? Rather drive on suburban interstates on a friday afternoon to tell you the truth.
It sounds like someone hasn't visited ZooAtlanta in quite a while. The animals live in large habitats and are well cared for by trained professionals. Our zoo IS done right in the small space they have, and the move would allow them to do it even better.

Zoos are not just for entertaining the public like they once were. From what I understand, they are very involved in research that is aimed at saving endangered species.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 9:39 PM

I was taken to Dolce for my birthday and was impressed. Good looking space with a good crowd. The food was excellent and we had a great waiter. All in all, expensive but well worth it. The only issue we had was having a reservation, but being told upon arrival that we may have to wait 30 minutes. We were actually seated within 10 minutes. The rest of the experience made up for this minor inconvenience.

I don't think people mind paying more for good food AND good service. Two major components B.E.D. seemed to have missed.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrofan View Post
I was taken to Dolce for my birthday and was impressed. Good looking space with a good crowd. The food was excellent and we had a great waiter. All in all, expensive but well worth it. The only issue we had was having a reservation, but being told upon arrival that we may have to wait 30 minutes. We were actually seated within 10 minutes. The rest of the experience made up for this minor inconvenience.

I don't think people mind paying more for good food AND good service. Two major components B.E.D. seemed to have missed.
We had a similar problem when we went......we had a reservation and then ended up waiting about 20 minutes for a table. At one point, about 10 minutes in, we were actually seated and then taken back to the bar area because they didn't really mean to sit us there. We just chalked it up to opening weekend jitters.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
Sounds like it should be in Buckhead.
Yet I have heard a couple of folks observe that the restaurant scene in Midtown is more pretentious than Buckhead these days. I don't get out much so I am certainly no authority, but I will have to say that to me Buckhead has more of a laid back, "down home" feel to it. It's very subjective but you don't get the sense that people are out to prove anything there.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
It sounds like someone hasn't visited ZooAtlanta in quite a while. The animals live in large habitats and are well cared for by trained professionals. Our zoo IS done right in the small space they have, and the move would allow them to do it even better.

Zoos are not just for entertaining the public like they once were. From what I understand, they are very involved in research that is aimed at saving endangered species.

Well thats good to here that they are doing better than my perceptions. Also thanks for reminding about the research component, that is the one key area of zoos that I think is most benefital, but do think that could somehow be done more efficiently.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Yet I have heard a couple of folks observe that the restaurant scene in Midtown is more pretentious than Buckhead these days. I don't get out much so I am certainly no authority, but I will have to say that to me Buckhead has more of a laid back, "down home" feel to it. It's very subjective but you don't get the sense that people are out to prove anything there.

Thats why I like Atlanta's people relative to other cities. Not that Atlantians always fit the stereotype but they do seem to have a sense of it more so than other cities of similar size. I would like to see out how things play out in 3-4 years when this current building boom plays out, and people get settled in..... how are all these new people moving to highrise condos doing to be (on a social level)?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 9:51 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Well thats good to here that they are doing better than my perceptions. Also thanks for reminding about the research component, that is the one key area of zoos that I think is most benefital, but do think that could somehow be done more efficiently.
No problem...my work here is done.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 7:56 AM
Spire-ite

Quote:
Thats why I like Atlanta's people relative to other cities. Not that Atlantians always fit the stereotype but they do seem to have a sense of it more so than other cities of similar size. I would like to see out how things play out in 3-4 years when this current building boom plays out, and people get settled in..... how are all these new people moving to highrise condos doing to be (on a social level)?
I think there is some truth to that, but I think it is starting to downplay a bit. There are a LOT of pretentious places come to Midtown in that they are pretention by design, concept, and expectation. However, the people that live in Atlanta tend not to go for that as much as some other places. I think Steel will be a nice test. The one in Texas is VERY pretentious. But, I think it may end up more like Nan Thai and Silk in attitude here in ATL. Bottom line, the attitude is on the rise between North and 17th, but it's not too far gone.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 5:25 PM

http://novaregroup.com/resources/Novare_07_Winter.pdf

Here is Novare's winter newsletter, which talks about it opening a Starbucks in 12 AS.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 6:08 PM

This idea is purely fantasy but I was contemplating the idea of extending MARTA into Atlantic Station... What if Portman built a line from his proposed "Uptown Station" along/beside the Amtrack line to a newly constructed Station next to Target? Imagine how many people living there would actually use it to access the rest of the city as well as provide a link to a future Beltline Station etc. etc. I think someone should pitch the idea to him. I think it would be the most profitable route MARTA would operate.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:16 PM

I think it's Dewberry, not Portman, who wants the Uptown station.

I do like transit fantasy, and yours is a pretty good one. As long as we're talking fantasy, I'd suggest that your line be extended south to 10th (or 14th) and Northside, GaTech, Marietta St, Castleberry Hill, Turner Field, Grant Park, East Atlanta, and finally South Dekalb Mall along I-20, with maybe an infill stop here and there.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
http://novaregroup.com/resources/Novare_07_Winter.pdf

Here is Novare's winter newsletter, which talks about it opening a Starbucks in 12 AS.
The Starbucks in Twelve actually opened today. I'm drinking a grande latte from there as I type this.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 10:29 PM

GREAT. It will be nice to have a choice between PJs and Starbucks when I'm down there. A local coffee shop would be great too but for now it's nice to at least have an option of two.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 2:00 AM

Great news on the starbucks - Is it usual Starbucks hours?

Ten Pin Alley says Now Open on the AS website. Is that true? Anyone been there yet?

Also, any idea on the opening date for the LA Fitness?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
GREAT. It will be nice to have a choice between PJs and Starbucks when I'm down there. A local coffee shop would be great too but for now it's nice to at least have an option of two.
If it makes you feel any better, the new AS Starbucks is actually a licensed store that is owned and operated by Atlanta-based Novare Group. So in theory, being owned by an Atlanta-based company makes it local, doesn't it??

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 4:25 AM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokezero View Post
If it makes you feel any better, the new AS Starbucks is actually a licensed store that is owned and operated by Atlanta-based Novare Group. So in theory, being owned by an Atlanta-based company makes it local, doesn't it??
I don't think it's possible for anything to ever make me feel better about Starbucks

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
I don't think it's possible for anything to ever make me feel better about Starbucks
seriously...its like a necessary evil. often the only option

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 4:37 AM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3eblover View Post
seriously...its like a necessary evil. often the only option

Alas...sad but true. One of the worst examples of category killers around, and burned, stale, overpriced coffee. Dunkin' Donuts has better coffee.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardSeed View Post
I think it's Dewberry, not Portman, who wants the Uptown station.

I do like transit fantasy, and yours is a pretty good one. As long as we're talking fantasy, I'd suggest that your line be extended south to 10th (or 14th) and Northside, GaTech, Marietta St, Castleberry Hill, Turner Field, Grant Park, East Atlanta, and finally South Dekalb Mall along I-20, with maybe an infill stop here and there.
Here's a transit fantasy: Let's pin the future of Atlanta Mass Transit on an orbital light rail route more than three miles from the heart of the city (not touching any of those above mentioned destinations). It might get done in twenty years if we're lucky, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta