HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 12:10 AM
Registered Drug User

Huh, I guess my calibration was off with the Montreal smoked meat. Seems like it really is on the radar around here:

Quote:
Top 5 Smoked Meat Sandwiches in Mississauga

In this neck of the woods, the smoked meat sandwich that's king is Montreal smoked meat and there are some great places in Mississauga to get one.

https://www.insauga.com/top-5-smoked...in-mississauga
I've been to Schwartz's several times in the course of my travels to Montreal, and I do love it. I can't deny that it's partly the hype, sure, but it's still really good.

With a pickle. And a cherry Coke. As Yahweh intended.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Great post, giallo.

I wish people would just replace poutine with fries, dressing and gravy and make us famous instead.

It's so good! And the dressing has to have Mount Scio savoury (I think what we call savoury isn't what that means elsewhere, so it actually is a different spice/taste completely).

I've eaten that in Newfoundland. AND, I also have had it in Moosonee, ON!!! (you can't drive there but can take the train and it's also on the ocean lol) The Sky Ranch Restaurant is owned and operating by Newfoundlanders so they have a few NL things on the menu.

I feel that many restaurants across Canada should not only have poutine but also the fries, dressing and gravy. And yes made using Mt Scio savoury.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 12:22 AM

What's "dressing"? For cooking, to me it's the oil-based vinegary sauce you put on a salad. (I would not put that on my fries, nor mix it with gravy.)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Where is the cheese?? My brain does not compute!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 12:51 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Huh, I guess my calibration was off with the Montreal smoked meat. Seems like it really is on the radar around here:

I've been to Schwartz's several times in the course of my travels to Montreal, and I do love it. I can't deny that it's partly the hype, sure, but it's still really good.

With a pickle. And a cherry Coke. As Yahweh intended.
Black Cherry Soda, rather.

travelmindset

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 12:54 AM

I have heard of Montreal smoked meat and bagel. Everytime I'm about to visit Montreal, coworkers always ask me if I tried them (and poutine). Also when I went to New York, there was a bagel store that offered "Montreal style". This doesn't make it "world renown" like some others items, but it suggests it does exist outside SSP lol.

For what its worth, I'm from Toronto and had never heard of pemeal bacon sandwich before SSP. Toronto beats Montreal in basically anything lol. But Montreal does have a food known out side of Montreal and Toronto doesn't and I can admit that. Toronto is still better though!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 12:54 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
Honestly I've had bagels in both cities and I couldn't tell the difference - maybe because I wasn't looking for one nor expected one.

they don't look the same, they are not baked in the same fashion, and they certainly don't taste the same.

Are you sure you didn't just visit a Timmie's in Montreal? (Lousy bagels)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 1:00 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
As per the Canadian traditional of naming food/restaurants after places in the US (Boston Pizza, New York Fries), Vancouver's most widely-eaten contribution to the food world is the California Roll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_roll

As for the guy that thinks Montreal smoked meat isn't that big of a deal or well known, um....what? I grew up in Kelowna, BC (hardly the epitome of culinary diversity back in the 80s/90s), and Montreal smoked meat would be sold in delis all over the city. It's massively popular for a reason ie. it's freaking delicious. And don't forget Montreal Steak Spice. Any western grocer in Shanghai carries it.

One of the most popular casual western restaurants in Shanghai is Tock's: A Montreal Deli. It specializes in smoked meat sandwiches, which are amazing by the way. PM Trudeau even stopped by to eat one of couple of weeks ago.

tocks 3 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

tocks 5 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

tocks 6 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Montreal is flying the flag for Canadian cuisine abroad, and I can't think of a better city to do so.
I've certainly heard of Tock's, and keep meaning to get there, but I never seem to be able to find the time. Your photos may push me into finding the time, because that looks great!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 1:05 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
What's "dressing"? For cooking, to me it's the oil-based vinegary sauce you put on a salad. (I would not put that on my fries, nor mix it with gravy.)
Stuffing. :-)

Which is a grotesque term, BTW. And bird-specific. Dressing... you dress the dish with it. Makes much more sense.

It's like... butterflies. My ex in WPG called them Flutterbys. Makes so much more sense.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Huh, I guess my calibration was off with the Montreal smoked meat. Seems like it really is on the radar around here.
This is that telling moment of what ridiculous homers some people really are.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 1:11 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Where is the cheese?? My brain does not compute!
If you add cheese and meat (ground beef or Italian sausage) then it's a "mess", or "trucker's mess" depending on the place.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I have to say I had forgotten about the existence of this roll, but it's definitely a staple in Van.

I started including sushi as a not-niche-anymore element of my own diet while in Van, so my perceptions at the beginning were Van-tainted, and the BC roll was in my mind a very mainstream thing. Strangely, here in the East, it's the California roll that fills this role (pun not intended) -- it's been so long since I last heard BC Roll that your mention of it is a blast from the past.

I would say that while I was over there with my sis, about two-thirds of our eating out was sushi and the last third was mostly East Asian too.

Her favorite place for bang-for-the-buck was Sushi Town on E Hastings not too far from her workplace, SFU. We went there countless times.
California rolls are definitely much more popular here in Kingston, but I have definitely seen BC rolls on the menu for at least a few of the places here.

On a side note, Kingston may very well have the record for most sushi places per capita in Canada. I can rattle off at least twenty places to get sushi just off the top of my head, and we're a very white (~90%) city of only 125,000 people. Being a university town can definitely have its perks
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 1:16 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I've eaten that in Newfoundland. AND, I also have had it in Moosonee, ON!!! (you can't drive there but can take the train and it's also on the ocean lol) The Sky Ranch Restaurant is owned and operating by Newfoundlanders so they have a few NL things on the menu.

I feel that many restaurants across Canada should not only have poutine but also the fries, dressing and gravy. And yes made using Mt Scio savoury.
YYYEEESSS!!! It has begun.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 1:30 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I love the shit thread.

Okay, one other genuine suggestion for something that should go national (and I mean genuine, I'm not ranting off every thing here that's not elsewhere, because food wise, it's 99.9% awful).

Toutons. Mainly for breakfast/brunch. It's basically bread dough, but sweeter. Every family shaped them differently. Some make penis-shaped ones, some make spiral-penis shaped ones, most make circular lumps.

You fry the dough on all sides so that's light and airy in the middle, served with butter and/or molasses.

It's spectacular. You can buy pre-made touton dough at any grocery here, so all you have to do is cut and fry. And the smell is just... it's as good as freshly-ground coffee smell in the morning.

And don't be afraid of molasses, it's really mandatory. Goes perfect with molasses beans (not in tomato sauce, which is the norm elsewhere). Make sure the can says pork and molasses.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 1:37 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Isn't Calgary the homeplace of Ginger Beef?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:04 AM

Montreal Smoked Meat: Found lots of places here, not a huge fan myself. The steamer turns me off.

Montreal Style Bagels: Never met a bagel I didn't like.

Sushi (in general): Not disagreeable, just really bland.

Poutine: Like it all the ways.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:12 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Black Cherry Soda, rather.

travelmindset
What? You mean I've been doing it wrong all this time?

Damn, thanks for nothing, Mr. Google.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:25 AM

In order of importance

The Big Four!

Montreal Smoked Meat
Montreal style Bagel
Halifax Donair
Ottawa Beaver tail

Middle 2

Vancouver California ROLLS
Lancaster Perch

Rounding up big 9

Ottawa Sharawama
Calgary Ginger Beef
Toronto Pea Meal Bacon samich

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:34 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We consider donairs and kitchen parties our own. I was genuinely surprised when I learned, through SSP, that they exist in Nova Scotia, and are actually associated with there.

Even the national chains sell it here.

The Lebanese brought it here, and they've been here for generations: http://www.thetelegram.com/Living/En...-night-party/1

LOVE ginger beef and shawarma... associated them with Asia and the Middle East respectively.

Learned California rolls come from Vancouver in this thread, today. But I do love them.

Associate Beavertails with Canada. Haven't had one, but there is a truck that sells them here, and one little stand in Bannerman Park. Ottawa is the perfect fit for how I view those, as the capital.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:41 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
In order of importance

The Big Four!

Montreal Smoked Meat
Montreal style Bagel
Halifax Donair
Ottawa Beaver tail

Middle 2

Vancouver California ROLLS
Lancaster Perch

Rounding up big 9

Ottawa Sharawama
Calgary Ginger Beef
Toronto Pea Meal Bacon samich
Don't forget Nanaimo bars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada