HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 8:01 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think terrible, directionless planning has made it even somewhat worse than it otherwise would have been. More local residents would be good but a lot of city policies have also resulted in property owners holding back on renovations for years. Promising public investment and then not following through is worse than doing nothing at all.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 8:48 PM

yes, your definitely right....also, amalgamation is surly not to blame, but it seems with HRM the health of Barrington is an afterthought in comparison to remote community's......this disparity has been mentioned many times....the core versus more rural communities, but it just seems, that downtown barrington is very low on the list of priorities....I also think Barrington would benefit from a business association with the unity, organisation and power of the SGR business association...I have criticised Bernie (forget his last name...the prezident of the assosiation) for not wanting to make bold improvement in the past, but there is no doubt he has overseen a highly successful street, and although that is not all because of him, I do admire how he stands and speaks for the street, and it's vitality, even if I don't always agree with his vision.....and in comparison with the main stretch, the south end of barringthon has seen small yet significant improvement in the 6 years I have been here....there are no vacant buildings, and several business that where of not of the highest standard, have moved out and been replaced with reputal operations, at this end of the street, I have great hope for the future, especially with all the proposals for this end town....i just hope this is the low water mark for the important pat of Barrington

Last edited by Barrington south; May 11, 2009 at 8:51 PM. Reason: ummm I forgot many words, and my spelling is not good

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 8:53 PM

Ya... they were a clothing store. They haven't sold gear in years. Best place for gear is still Kannon of course... but I have to say... If Only has a beautiful shop! Too bad about Barrington. Ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
not sure if it has been mentioned before, if it has, my bad....but Frozen Ocean, the surf and surf apparel shop on Barrington is now apearantly out of business....the building is completely empty, and I don't just mean empty shelves and racks....it's basically gutted....so sad...but I guess IF Only took a massive chunk of their business.....IF Only is in every way a superior surf shop, especially for actually surf gear, not just bikini's and Billabong t-shirts....man, as soon as I saw this, I immidietly thought to my self, what Someone123 said is true, Barrington st. is starting to look like the main street of a dying Midwestern city, where all the business has migrated to the boonies....it's very depressing....man, downtown seriously needs many more people living there

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
They haven't sold gear in years. .
Ohhh really, I haven't been in there since 04 ....shows what a diminished role surfing has been playing in my life ...I only really care about surfing if I'm in a tropical location and the weather is fine....so I'm not hardcore at all.....while on the topic of surfing though....my sister just opened up a surfers backpackers hostel, literally on Lawrencetown beach, in a beautiful 5 year old house, I have stayed in many backpackers in my youth, and I have to say this is a very high quality, new and clean hostel with beautiful views and access, and is not at all over crowded.....it is also Nova Scotia's only backpackers on the ocean.... so if by some long shot ever know a surfer or anyone else that wants to stay at L-town, for very cheap... this is definitely the place....there are also some private rooms available...it's called Lawrencetown Beach House...it just opened on may 1 so it is still expanding and adding new features like a giant patio with BBQ and a great big table so everyone can munch and then chill and drink the night away after a long day of surfing

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 10:06 PM

Barrington st. is starting to look like the main street of a dying Midwestern city, where all the business has migrated to the boonies....it's very depressing....man, downtown seriously needs many more people living there

lol... the difference between Barrington street and a dying Midwestern city is that those cities have good reason for the appearance of thier streets... because they're dying!

Halifax doesn't really have that excuse. Or if it did it doesn't any more. The economic situation is far better than it was in the 70s and 80s, and yet... the street looks worse? In the 60s and 70s people moved out of thier downtowns for the suburbs because of the fear of high crime... and hey look, I know those swarmings were bad, but... come on.

(Seriously though, that was seriously a major annoyance. I hope those brats have ceased and desisted by now)

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 2:19 AM

For all the money HRM has devoted to the core, the message is "who cares if Barrington Street is full of deserted storefronts and decaying buildings. As long as there is a several million dollar rec centre for every couple 100 people out in the boonies then we're doing just fine"

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 2:50 PM

from what I've heard, what used to be the food court in the historic properties, has been taken over by the fellow who owns O'carrols....he is turning it into a brew pub....called....rose and thistle....or something close to that....he is using all the brewing equipment from the old John Shippy's operation....he is going to run O'carrols and the Rose simultaneously, until the waterside development kicks them out, and then the Rose will be all on it's own.....great more competition...time to step up my game at the HH

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 3:29 PM

I think that place is suppose to be open fairly soon. I've walked through there and they have certainly been doing a fair amount of work. Still can't see it though.

On another note, in the tabling of the budget last night at council. I noticed they have allocated a good sum of money to prepare detailed designs for the new central library.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 4:24 PM

^ another nice find JONO

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 7:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Funding might come through from one of the federal "stimulus spending" programs.

Seems like the library might actually happen in a somewhat timely manner now..?

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 7:47 PM

I think it was Kieth that said he hopes Mackay-Lyons designs the library....i hope so to....that would be sweet

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 10:33 PM

It would be nice if we could actually get some bold european type modern building in this city. It would go far to elevate the discussion about design. Lots would love it and probably lots would hate it. But it would stimulate non the less and get people talking about what matters.

Maybe something along these lines:

Seattle

Surrealize

Peckham

sunstarr

Maastricht

butch499100

Copenhagen

Johanna Nelson

Minsk

Vadiroma

Alexandria

Jenny Mackness

All photos from Flickr

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 10:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think I had suggested Brian MacKay-Lyons. He designs modern looking buildings but they usually have a comfortable scale that works really well in Halifax. In a way, they are very conservative buildings and on some level I think that's what would be best for the city.

I've been inside the Seattle library and it is very interesting but it wouldn't work very well in Halifax. It was also a very expensive building constructed with large donations from MS people.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 7:53 PM

Improvements will raise profile of popular Dartmouth lake
Halifax News Net

By Lindsay Jones – The Weekly News
Upgrades worth $3.25-million are underway now to get Lake Banook ready to be on the world stage this summer.
The 2009 ICF Sprint Canoe World Championships, set to take place August 12 to 16, is the largest ever international sporting event held in Atlantic Canada.
Peter Bigelow, general manager of HRM parks and recreation, said the work will raise the profile of Lake Banook, considered to be one of the best natural race courses in the world.
“You’re going to see it become more of a centre for canoe and kayaking than it already is,” Bigelow said. “Our facilities were a bit old. Upgrading them is going to go a long way to make sure those athletes are well-cared for, and that we continue to be seen as a success on the international stage.”
Seventy-five countries are participating in the event which will be televised on every continent and is expected to be watched by millions.
Improvements to the one-kilometre race course include installing 10 kilometres of new wire underwater to hold the lanes in place, and an elaborate, new $300,000 hydraulic starting system.
Notices recently went out to residents around the lake to advise them of the work to Birch Grove Park and Lions Beach Parks and beaches, and Graham’s Grove Park which will be closed until July 24.
Birch Grove Park Beach, where athletes will congregate on race day, is getting new retaining walls and public docks.
Lions Beach is also getting a new public dock and a new structure to retain sand.
The improvements also include connecting pathways around the lake, except in places where there is private property.
“There will be some inconvenience,” Bigelow said. “We’ve got a deadline and a timeline. A lot of people walk around there so we’ll try to make sure people can continue to walk.”
At Turtle Grove, the site of the finish line, a new elite training centre is under construction. A new public announcement system will be installed and the grounds and pathways re-landscaped.
The parking lot off Prince Albert Road will be repaved and the area developed for spectators.
Access to construction sites will be prohibited. The city is advising the public that construction crews and heavy equipment will be in the area Mondays to Fridays during working hours.
Bigelow said the city contributed $2.6 million for the improvements and the province chipped in $650,000.

lindsayleejones@gmail.com

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
It would be nice if we could actually get some bold european type modern building in this city. It would go far to elevate the discussion about design. Lots would love it and probably lots would hate it. But it would stimulate non the less and get people talking about what matters.

Maybe something along these lines:

Seattle

Surrealize

Peckham

sunstarr

Maastricht

butch499100

Copenhagen

Johanna Nelson

Minsk

Vadiroma

Alexandria

Jenny Mackness

All photos from Flickr
Maastricht would be as bold as i believe this city would get.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 10:31 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Some more ideas:

The American Institute of Architects recently announced the eight recipients for the 2009 AIA/ALA Library Building Awards

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 10:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting buildings. For a library in Halifax I'd like to see a large indoor atrium space (Chongqing example, though lots of new libraries have that) along with some sheltered outdoor space. Hopefully it would have an inviting pedestrian scale and come up fairly close to the corner. Monumental architecture and exposed outdoor plazas don't work very well in Halifax.

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Improvements will raise profile of popular Dartmouth lake
Halifax News Net

By Lindsay Jones – The Weekly News
Upgrades worth $3.25-million are underway now to get Lake Banook ready to be on the world stage this summer.
The 2009 ICF Sprint Canoe World Championships, set to take place August 12 to 16, is the largest ever international sporting event held in Atlantic Canada.
Peter Bigelow, general manager of HRM parks and recreation, said the work will raise the profile of Lake Banook, considered to be one of the best natural race courses in the world.
“You’re going to see it become more of a centre for canoe and kayaking than it already is,” Bigelow said. “Our facilities were a bit old. Upgrading them is going to go a long way to make sure those athletes are well-cared for, and that we continue to be seen as a success on the international stage.”
Seventy-five countries are participating in the event which will be televised on every continent and is expected to be watched by millions.
Improvements to the one-kilometre race course include installing 10 kilometres of new wire underwater to hold the lanes in place, and an elaborate, new $300,000 hydraulic starting system.
Notices recently went out to residents around the lake to advise them of the work to Birch Grove Park and Lions Beach Parks and beaches, and Graham’s Grove Park which will be closed until July 24.
Birch Grove Park Beach, where athletes will congregate on race day, is getting new retaining walls and public docks.
Lions Beach is also getting a new public dock and a new structure to retain sand.
The improvements also include connecting pathways around the lake, except in places where there is private property.
“There will be some inconvenience,” Bigelow said. “We’ve got a deadline and a timeline. A lot of people walk around there so we’ll try to make sure people can continue to walk.”
At Turtle Grove, the site of the finish line, a new elite training centre is under construction. A new public announcement system will be installed and the grounds and pathways re-landscaped.
The parking lot off Prince Albert Road will be repaved and the area developed for spectators.
Access to construction sites will be prohibited. The city is advising the public that construction crews and heavy equipment will be in the area Mondays to Fridays during working hours.
Bigelow said the city contributed $2.6 million for the improvements and the province chipped in $650,000.

lindsayleejones@gmail.com
Good stuff. Wasn't there a plan once for some updates to the Lake Banook and Sullivans Pond areas, including all new landscaping and spectators stands across Prince Albert? I seem to recall looking at it in awe, too bad they couldn't fully implement it...

Regarding the library stuff, was it mentioned in here yet that Woodlawn library is moving to the old Empire Theatres building?

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 1:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Maastricht would be as bold as i believe this city would get.
Copenhagen, maybe. But $10 says it would be shot down by objections saying it looks like the Borg's Cube.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 4:52 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
Copenhagen, maybe. But $10 says it would be shot down by objections saying it looks like the Borg's Cube.
Or some kind of pot shot at another city (Dubai, Toronto, and New York have already been insulted to date)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth