Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Mr. Cherry... time to go.
And Rogers/CBC give him the boot

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
The outrage police claims another victim. Not that I agree with what he said or anything..

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:04 PM

Oilers did some Duck hunting. The Oil looked very impressive.

Hopkins Snipe was simply unreal.

The way #97 dangled his 2nd goal....Never seen that before.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Breaking news: Don Cherry fired!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:35 PM
Community Guy

Good.

I've met Don, I liked Don, but he started to go down a rabbit's hole many years ago... non-recoverable at that.

The basis of his message was not wrong, we ALL should wear more poppies, but the delivery was ignorant, abhorrent and racist.

This was the right decision.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
The outrage police claims another victim. Not that I agree with what he said or anything..
It’s outrage policing to be upset that a prolific racist is in such a prominent position on tv?

I know he probably appeals to the “old stock” Canadians but they are dying off fast and having him stay is a bad business move for any company. Good riddance!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:43 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
The outrage police claims another victim.
Nope. Deservedly fired.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:46 PM

Wow, I always thought he would be on HNIC until he died (probably on TV after bursting an aneurysm during one of his tirades). An end of an era. He’s a racist, but I always saw him as a rather benign diet racist that’s more reflective of his generation. His comments on the weekend weren’t particularly out of line either: so what if he doesn’t like that immigrants don’t wear poppies? Let the old man have his soap box. I’m still not going to wear a poppy.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Good fucking riddance. I've yet to meet anyone who liked him. And he said so much shit about us over the years. I'm not at all surprised he's a "you people" type of relic.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
It’s outrage policing to be upset that a prolific racist is in such a prominent position on tv?

I know he probably appeals to the “old stock” Canadians but they are dying off fast and having him stay is a bad business move for any company. Good riddance!
He's said worse things before and nobody cared. Point is you cant get away with it nowadays.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:08 PM

I don't believe Cherry to be racist, two players he stuck up for the most in recent years have been Kadri and Subban. He had no reason to stick up for those guys. If you show pride for Canada he doesn't seem to care where you are from.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I don't believe Cherry to be racist, two players he stuck up for the most in recent years have been Kadri and Subban. He had no reason to stick up for those guys. If you show pride for Canada he doesn't seem to care where you are from.
Don't try and bring facts into the witch hunt. Frankly, I don't have an issue with whatever he said because he passed his best before date years ago and should have been gone.

My issue is with the gutless, greasy way Sportsnet got rid of him. They're saying he "stepped down" as if he had a choice. Why didn't they just have the balls to say they canned his ass. Typical greasy behaviour.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:37 PM

Yeah, I find this new outrage culture repugnant. People can't wait for someone to say the wrong thing so they can string him up. Bunch of hypocrites don't give 2 shits about racism. Especially the CBC/Sportsnet, who hired him knowing full well what Don Cherry brought to the viewing audience. Fuckin' scumbag corporations pretending they have the high moral ground.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:38 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I do, along with a lot of other things.

The Toronto Star had a good breakdown six years ago on a few things he had said:

1. In 2011, Cherry accused three former NHL enforcers of being “pukes” and “hypocrites” for speaking out against fighting. “You people that are against fighting, you should be ashamed of yourselves,” Cherry said. “You took advantage of that to make your point on fighting.” He said his comments were mostly directed at former NHLers Chris Nilan, Stu Grimson and Jim Thomson.

2. In 2010, Cherry wore a pink suit to attend Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s inauguration when the battle over bike lanes pitted left against right. Cherry began by saying. “I’m wearing pinko for all the pinkos out there that ride bicycles and everything.” He praised the new mayor’s honesty and truthfulness, predicted that Ford would be the best leader in the city’s history and concluded with the words: “Put that in your pipe you left-wing kooks.”

3. In 2004, Cherry sparked outrage among French Canadians and an investigation from the Official Languages Commissioner when he spoke out against players who wear visors because he said they have less respect for player safety. “Most of the guys who wear them are Europeans and French guys.”

4. In April, 1998, Cherry prompted Bell Canada in Quebec to pull its ads on Coach’s Corner after Cherry calls Quebecers “whiners” and criticized Olympic skier Jean-Luc Brassard, calling the medallist “that French guy.”

5. In May, 1993, Quebec MP Vincent Della Noce calls for the House of Commons to censure Cherry for “taking a malicious pleasure in ridiculing francophones by saying the people of Sault Ste. Marie speak the good language.”

6. In October, 1991 he sparks anger among Quebec politicians when he defends Eric Lindros’ decision to shun the Quebec Nordiques: “They don’t want our signs . . . they don’t want our language and then they can’t understand why an 18-year-old kid from Ontario doesn’t want to go there. Get with it.”

7. In 1989, Cherry was asked about Winnipeg Jets assistant coach Alpo Suhonen, who is Finnish, and quipped, “Alpo? Isn’t that a dog food?” The team’s owner, Barry Shenkarow, called Cherry a racist and threatened to sue him.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...s_moments.html

Emphasis added mine.

Of course, he also called out people who believe in climate change.

Good riddance.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
3. In 2004, Cherry sparked outrage among French Canadians and an investigation from the Official Languages Commissioner when he spoke out against players who wear visors because he said they have less respect for player safety. “Most of the guys who wear them are Europeans and French guys.”
You neglected to mention that they did some fact checking at the time and found it to be true

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:45 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
You neglected to mention that they did some fact checking at the time and found it to be true
That's beside the point - it doesn't matter whether or not he was right, was matters was that he very clearly disliked anyone that wasn't White Anglo-Saxon, or in his view 'Canadian'. Francophones and Europeans were always his ire and this was no more obvious than when he ran an OHL team and refused to sign/draft Europeans (non-Canadians); then going on to become one of the worst OHL teams in history for multiple years.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
I do, along with a lot of other things.

The Toronto Star had a good breakdown six years ago on a few things he had said:

1. In 2011, Cherry accused three former NHL enforcers of being “pukes” and “hypocrites” for speaking out against fighting. “You people that are against fighting, you should be ashamed of yourselves,” Cherry said. “You took advantage of that to make your point on fighting.” He said his comments were mostly directed at former NHLers Chris Nilan, Stu Grimson and Jim Thomson.

2. In 2010, Cherry wore a pink suit to attend Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s inauguration when the battle over bike lanes pitted left against right. Cherry began by saying. “I’m wearing pinko for all the pinkos out there that ride bicycles and everything.” He praised the new mayor’s honesty and truthfulness, predicted that Ford would be the best leader in the city’s history and concluded with the words: “Put that in your pipe you left-wing kooks.”

4. In April, 1998, Cherry prompted Bell Canada in Quebec to pull its ads on Coach’s Corner after Cherry calls Quebecers “whiners” and criticized Olympic skier Jean-Luc Brassard, calling the medallist “that French guy.”

5. In May, 1993, Quebec MP Vincent Della Noce calls for the House of Commons to censure Cherry for “taking a malicious pleasure in ridiculing francophones by saying the people of Sault Ste. Marie speak the good language.”

6. In October, 1991 he sparks anger among Quebec politicians when he defends Eric Lindros’ decision to shun the Quebec Nordiques: “They don’t want our signs . . . they don’t want our language and then they can’t understand why an 18-year-old kid from Ontario doesn’t want to go there. Get with it.”

7. In 1989, Cherry was asked about Winnipeg Jets assistant coach Alpo Suhonen, who is Finnish, and quipped, “Alpo? Isn’t that a dog food?” The team’s owner, Barry Shenkarow, called Cherry a racist and threatened to sue him.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...s_moments.html

Emphasis added mine.

Of course, he also called out people who believe in climate change.

Good riddance.
Honestly, he sounds like a guy without a filter. I don’t agree with him, but I also don’t think anything you quoted there was particularly offensive.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:51 PM

Funny to think that most of us believe him to be a man out of his time, yet his quotes are quite tame compared to the supposed leader of the free world.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
That's beside the point - it doesn't matter whether or not he was right, was matters was that he very clearly disliked anyone that wasn't White Anglo-Saxon, or in his view 'Canadian'. Francophones and Europeans were always his ire and this was no more obvious than when he ran an OHL team and refused to sign/draft Europeans (non-Canadians); then going on to become one of the worst OHL teams in history for multiple years.
Of course being right doesn't matter just as long as someone's feelings don't get hurt. Insert participation medal.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Honestly, he sounds like a guy without a filter. I don’t agree with him, but I also don’t think anything you quoted there was particularly offensive.
None of it was offensive unless you have an agenda. Who was it that got into trouble when a Quebec official said there were too many Canadian flags in the Olympic village and Cherry fired a retaliatory bullet their way, Cherry of course. Bet ya that story won't come out with the correct person being chastised.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada