HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Article discussing the AZ Center renovations, AC Hotel and Palm Court Tower. Kind of a rehash of everything we already know...BUT...some news on the AMC theater portion. Apparently a plan is in the works to eliminate half the screens and possibly add more retail and student housing. This is good news. I'm really hopeful they can maybe add an extension of Taylor St. (Mall). Hopefully, we will get more on this soon, but looks like it may be a bar/dining concept similar to Esplanade AMC.

Source: https://chamberbusinessnews.com/2019...rizona-center/
Yes, people have said forever that the AMC needs to be downsized and is one of the 'easiest' ways to envision a modernized version of the AZC actually working. The retail renovations added absolutely nothing beyond an aesthetic upgrade. No storefront entrances were added to VB, 3rd St, or Fillmore; no larger floorplates were created for larger retailers, and no additional uses or reorientation of the layout makes the Center more attractive to prospective tenants. The AC Hotel and Palmcourt Tower do not even contain retail uses, so the future of the existing Center will continue to cater to those who work (and eventually live) on-site through eateries for the most part.

Cutting through the superblock with an extension of Taylor Street would allow a portion of the site to fill the retail void by connecting the schools and offices of the PBC through Thunderbird, ASU, and Phoenix College. With residential built above, and an entertainment attraction locked in with AMC, there'd be enough population to justify storefronts along 3rd, Taylor, and Fillmore that could be more aligned with what everyone has wanted for AZC. A Trader Joe's at 3rd/Fillmore, An Urgent Care, an LA Fitness, a multi-brand group like Banana Rebublic-GAP-Athleta and/or World Market-BedBathBeyond-Face Values, and large retailer like H&M would do well mixed with gastropubs and other local bars/restaurants, IMO.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:16 AM
Skyriser

^ I agree that the AMC needs to be redone for a better Taylor St entrance but I don't hold any hopes for the ongoing disaster.

The retail complex should have been torn down with its vacancies and inward focus and nothing would have been able to change that otherwise with back of house. Instead, the facade updates are a total chaotic, messy fail on the west side although the valet might help. It sort of guides people in better but I don't understand how you could tack on those meshy structures while not providing any overhead shade.

The architect should lose their license afaict.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:13 PM
Modulator

Took a scroll past AZ Center last night. There are a few signs that dirt is about to move for AC Hotel. It looks like a couple of palms are being readied for removal and there are new paint markers around the lot. and a little more dirt has been moved or dug up. I hope to see this start moving in the next week or so. Also of note, it looks like there may have been a small grass fire? A big area of dried out grass was blackened. Not sure if that was by accident or intentional.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Took a scroll past AZ Center last night. There are a few signs that dirt is about to move for AC Hotel. It looks like a couple of palms are being readied for removal and there are new paint markers around the lot. and a little more dirt has been moved or dug up. I hope to see this start moving in the next week or so. Also of note, it looks like there may have been a small grass fire? A big area of dried out grass was blackened. Not sure if that was by accident or intentional.
Doubt there was a fire. Probably either marking it or killing it to make it easier to remove.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 3:48 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Doubt there was a fire. Probably either marking it or killing it to make it easier to remove.
Oh no, it was burned...fully charred and blackened just as any brush fire I've seen. Someone probably flicked a cigarette or something.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Oh no, it was burned...fully charred and blackened just as any brush fire I've seen. Someone probably flicked a cigarette or something.
More incentive to get moving on the damn thing then! haha

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 4:46 PM

The parking payment machine was removed just outside the southeast corner of the parking garage. The pedestrian exit from this area of the garage will be blocked during construction.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 4:52 PM
Modulator

Sounds like this will might start moving next week

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 2:32 PM
Modulator

Been in LA for the last 5 days. Is there any movement on AC Hotel yet? I was hoping this would be moving by now. If no one knows, I'll check after work today.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Been in LA for the last 5 days. Is there any movement on AC Hotel yet? I was hoping this would be moving by now. If no one knows, I'll check after work today.
What have you been doing in Los Angeles?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 5:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
What have you been doing in Los Angeles?
Vaca and checking out the towers everywhere

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Nada,

this project is molasses

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 6:07 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Nada,

this project is molasses
I wonder what the holdup is

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:45 PM

There are some wood stakes along the southern edge of the hotel property that have been installed. Maybe a sign of some movement soon... hopefully...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMatt View Post
There are some wood stakes along the southern edge of the hotel property that have been installed. Maybe a sign of some movement soon... hopefully...
I'm gonna go out there with a shovel and dig a hole in the ground to spur up some more construction speculation

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:24 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMatt View Post
Saw those on Tuesday. I didn't post it because I'm tired of posting false starts

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 11:59 PM
self-important urbanista

In addition to the wooden stakes, the grass between the APS building and the parking garage is dying. It appears not to have been watered all summer -- in contrast to the grass elsewhere at the AZ Center, which is lush and green. I assume / hope this neglect is a sign of imminent construction at the site.

Speaking of neglect, my wife and I were looking for a place to see a movie, and the AMC theater at the AZ Center briefly came to mind. I decided against it because it looks like AMC is barely even trying. They're not posting their showtimes, even on their own website, until the last minute. At the actual theater, all the ticket windows and the guest information desk are unstaffed. Everyone is directed towards the concession stand for any type of transaction, and a huge amount of space is wasted.

I'm glad to hear that the theater is targeted for redevelopment, and I hope that Harkins is part of the discussion. It's a shame that the local favorite is, with the sole exception of Valley Art in Tempe, unrepresented in the most urban parts of the metro area.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:03 PM
Modulator

I only see movies at Arizona Center due to the close location after work, ease of finding good seats and low cost of tickets (although I have recently joined the AMC Stubs membership). I've never had a problem with finding movie times in advance. Actually purchased my ticket yesterday to go see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood for this evening. Only real problems I have with the theater is the seats are extremely outdated, but for the cheaper price and less fighting to get a good seat, it's been worth it. But correct in that AMC has announced to cut back the amount of theaters and update the the remaining theaters to today's standards. My understanding is it will still be AMC and be similar to Esplanade with dine-in seating.

As for the ticket booth, who buys tickets at the booth anymore? Get them online and avoid the lines!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:51 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
I only see movies at Arizona Center due to the close location after work, ease of finding good seats and low cost of tickets (although I have recently joined the AMC Stubs membership). I've never had a problem with finding movie times in advance. Actually purchased my ticket yesterday to go see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood for this evening. Only real problems I have with the theater is the seats are extremely outdated, but for the cheaper price and less fighting to get a good seat, it's been worth it. But correct in that AMC has announced to cut back the amount of theaters and update the the remaining theaters to today's standards. My understanding is it will still be AMC and be similar to Esplanade with dine-in seating.

As for the ticket booth, who buys tickets at the booth anymore? Get them online and avoid the lines!
I agree that using the ticket booth is unnecessary in most situations, but it seems equally silly that AMC has all these unstaffed desks and unused space. It's a dated design that someone -- whether AMC, Harkins, or another competitor -- needs to update. Until that happens, I think that theater drags down the look and feel of the Arizona Center.

By the way, we ended up going to FilmBar to see "The Last Black Man in San Francisco." It's an interesting movie that deals with themes of gentrification, historic preservation, and housing. Definitely of interest to urban enthusiasts.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 12:17 AM
Modulator

Just heard from a buddy of mine at AZ Center that they received construction notices for AC starting on Monday. Also, traffic cones have been placed all along the sidewalk on 3rd. Looks like we are seeing action soon!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest