HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 2:28 PM

This one is now fully enclosed but no cladding yet

Joe

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 12:04 AM

Hand laid brick being laid here along the Ferguson side. Light brown. Looks good.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
Hand laid brick being laid here along the Ferguson side. Light brown. Looks good.
Oh thank God. Only disappointment with KiWi is that it only used panels. Panels look okay on the third or fourth floor and up, but at ground floor especially you can tell 90% of the time.

Really excited to see how this one turns out. Hand laid brick seems to really be expanding in use. Easy way to elevate the quality of a project and encourage the local residents to accept what many see as an intrusion.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 9:52 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Oh thank God. Only disappointment with KiWi is that it only used panels. Panels look okay on the third or fourth floor and up, but at ground floor especially you can tell 90% of the time.

Really excited to see how this one turns out. Hand laid brick seems to really be expanding in use. Easy way to elevate the quality of a project and encourage the local residents to accept what many see as an intrusion.
At least kiwi has enough other visually interesting elements that the precast brick doesn't feel AS much of an intrusion - but yeah, real brick always feels more natural, although one has to be careful about spalling and efflorescence, issues which are not an issue with precast panels..

one place precast was really done well was on king street with that big retirement building down in the valley close to stoney creek - they did it so well you can't even tell, even gave different coloured bricks to make it look more natural.. I don't mind if they fake it, but make it look seamless if you're gonna do that..

one nice thing about bricks is the imperfections, like the older building beside it in the above picture - you can see its history over time.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
At least kiwi has enough other visually interesting elements that the precast brick doesn't feel AS much of an intrusion - but yeah, real brick always feels more natural, although one has to be careful about spalling and efflorescence, issues which are not an issue with precast panels..

one place precast was really done well was on king street with that big retirement building down in the valley close to stoney creek - they did it so well you can't even tell, even gave different coloured bricks to make it look more natural.. I don't mind if they fake it, but make it look seamless if you're gonna do that..

one nice thing about bricks is the imperfections, like the older building beside it in the above picture - you can see its history over time.
Another building I feel pulls off the precast panels is the new police building. The brick sections are small enough that you never have seams.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 1:04 PM

7/29/2023 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 2:57 PM

I'll reserve judgement for when. It's done, but I'm not sure if I like it. The brick cuts are odd to me. They also don't make a ton of sense. I'm going to ask Steve from Core Urban, because they don't use these cuts, but both this and the McMaster graduate residence have hand-laid brick, but with the cuts they might as well be precast panels.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 5:03 PM

I really liked the texture of the brick when I walked by a week or two ago. Scaffolding was still up then though so it was more difficult to get a good look at it. I'll try to go by again soon to check it out.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 6:40 PM

Looking pretty nice.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 4:04 PM

Taken today.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 12:32 PM
Hammer'd

Damn thats looking good! Decent bit of mid-rise intensification here.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Damn thats looking good! Decent bit of mid-rise intensification here.
Ya, big fan of this development, both in terms of scale and design. Looking forward to seeing it complete and hopefully filled with tenants on the ground floor.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 1:51 PM

Very well done

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 11:24 PM
Hamilton Historian

I've tried to get used to the metal canopy and the fact the entrance and glass is set so far in - but every time I look at it the part above the metal canopy just feels too top heavy and overbearing and like if that metal canopy collapsed the whole thing above it would collapse and crush me - it's not a fun feeling.

Maaybe it will look better once the metal canopy is done.. but yeah this part always felt very-un-uniform and odd..

I think I have also learned I don't like brick as a "box finish" either - where it's just floating and not used as something that looks like its structural. Half the time it just looks "vranich"ey..

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 5:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 12:58 AM
Hamilton Historian

Needs a cornice lol

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 5:01 PM

February 26, 2024

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 11:51 PM

Got the keys to our new unit in this building on Thursday ! its actually very cute inside ...we are happy !

Does anyone know if the small red brick building next door will be demolished ? Its the one facing Ferguson (opposite side of this picture)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 12:59 AM

AFAIK it's not going to be

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 2:25 AM

Didn't know you had a unit in there. Congrats! And welcome back to Hamilton, time to update your username!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton