HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 3:59 PM

So true.

Would love to know when the 35s at King and Waterloo might start. I suspect it has the most likely odds of being the next project to actually get a shovel in the ground. Otherwise most of the tower cranes in the downtown core will be gone in 2024. So much for the plans to build new housing units.

There has been a very noticeable decline in the number of new zoning applications submitted to City Hall. The PEC agenda is definitely shorter now then in the past few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Too bad the Free Press doesn't have any real information on when these projects might start. We already know what is approved and not approved, but we have no idea what the developers are thinking regarding getting shovels in the ground.

Last edited by jammer139; Nov 29, 2023 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 8:01 PM

Looks like the tenant of the new building at the SW corner of Wonderland and Bradley is going to be the Fowler-Kennedy Sports Medicine Clinic. Interesting choice of location with plenty of parking and easy access to the 400 series highways.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 3:01 PM

The ugly numbers on the decrease of construction in the city are out in the Oct 2023 report.

As of October 2023, a total of 3,092 permits were issued, with a construction value of
$1.04 billion, representing 1,244 new dwelling units. Compared to the same period in
2022, this represents a 15.3% decrease in the number of building permits, with a 23.1%
decrease in construction value and an 43.4% decrease in the number of dwelling units
constructed.

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...umentId=105087

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 8:26 PM

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 9:14 PM

Ministry of Education approves funding for two new elementary schools to serve the NW and SW corners of the City.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...s-london-booms

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 2:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
I live in Hyde Park. It is laughable to think that its commercial node will compete with Wortley Village. Hyde Park is a paradise for Pickup Trucks, not latte-sipping, arugula-eating hipsters.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 9:26 PM

Hyde Park turning into Wortley?.......bizarre. The only 2 contestants outside of the DT area are Lambeth and Byron.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 11:15 PM

Yeah, sorry to say, but Hyde Park hasn't had a "village" feel for maybe at least 30 years if not longer. And with the way it has built up now, there is no way to transform into anything remotely "Wortley-esque".

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Yeah, sorry to say, but Hyde Park hasn't had a "village" feel for maybe at least 30 years if not longer. And with the way it has built up now, there is no way to transform into anything remotely "Wortley-esque".
The Hyde Park of today bears no resemblance to the Hyde Park I grew up with.

It still had a village feel as late as 2002, even though it was within London city limits by then - you still had the semi-rural intersection, to the west was Bellamere Market and to the east was Unger’s. There was also the garden centre and the Horse & Hound restaurant. For my family it was a destination for food as we liked both stores and my parents loved going to the Horse & Hound. It was the opening of Walmart on Fanshawe Park Road that was the beginning of the end - traffic easily tripled on Hyde Park Road overnight when that opened, and the quaint feel of the area rapidly disappeared.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 11:46 AM

It had nothing of the feel of a Wortley, or even Byron or Lambeth as ssiguy says. There was nothing "quaint" or cute about the main intersection. They parked school buses or sold cars on the NW corner for decades. There is nothing different about 3 of the 4 corners now than back then, other than the intersection is bigger. I bet you and your parents never parked at Bellemere and said "Let's go for a nice stroll down to Ungers and check out all the cool shops along the way" because there weren't any.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 1:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
It had nothing of the feel of a Wortley, or even Byron or Lambeth as ssiguy says. There was nothing "quaint" or cute about the main intersection. They parked school buses or sold cars on the NW corner for decades. There is nothing different about 3 of the 4 corners now than back then, other than the intersection is bigger. I bet you and your parents never parked at Bellemere and said "Let's go for a nice stroll down to Ungers and check out all the cool shops along the way" because there weren't any.
Indeed. The only thing worth going to in Hyde Park is Ungers (and the adjacent Ice cream place in the summer). There is nothing else that is remotely worth taking the trip. I live in the neighborhood, and while it is getting better than it was 5 years ago (cue the schoolbus parking lot), it is nothing, absolutely nothing, like a pedestrian-friendly village.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 2:28 PM

A rezone of the old Dalmar VW dealership at 475 Wharncliffe Rd. S. to allow commercial/retail usage is being proposed.

https://london.ca/sites/default/file...20-%20aoda.pdf

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 11:32 PM

Official opening of new Holiday Inn Express in St. Thomas.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/it-s-been-...lays-1.6708302

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 7:23 AM

Don’t know where to put this. Lol! So it looks like two new apartment buildings are now leasing in central London for a total of 406 units. As I don’t live there I can’t tell if this is going to make a difference? I hear a lot of doom scenarios about the downtown but there seems to be a decent amount of construction.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Don’t know where to put this. Lol! So it looks like two new apartment buildings are now leasing in central London for a total of 406 units. As I don’t live there I can’t tell if this is going to make a difference? I hear a lot of doom scenarios about the downtown but there seems to be a decent amount of construction.
Sounds like this could be the two buildings in SOHO by Medallion Developments.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 1:45 PM

Correct this is Medallion's 2 tower project in SOHO on south street. The thread is on this site.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 9:17 PM

^^^ Are those just part of the Hospital Lands or are these new proposals in a different are of SOHO? Maps? Links?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
^^^ Are those just part of the Hospital Lands or are these new proposals in a different are of SOHO? Maps? Links?
Those are the 2 buildings currently under construction on the site of old Vic.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 12:12 AM

General contractors have been hired to build the two new Public elementary schools in London's NW and SW corners.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...ools-1.7082408

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 1:39 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates