HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 9:53 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Is that a bridge on Bannatyne? Some kind of freeway to Transcona there?
I bet that's exactly what that is. Right through pointe hebert too. Guess that would have solved the St B nimby problem
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Make your dreams come true with a $1.2 million, 2 bedroom 2400 square foot third floor condo in... North Kildonan?!?

https://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/...onan/id-111369

Why not? North Kildonan can be quite nice. Uneventful, but a very nice neighbourhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Probably better than the million dollar condos on Marion haha. But ya, wow. Expensive. Looks like 6 units per floor. Large though, 2400 sq ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The only logical buyer is a 65 year old retired Mennonite who sold his successful business and now snowbirds for half the year and wants somewhere nice to live in his old neighbourhood without the usual maintenance headaches of home ownership.

This is the only possible buyer. The realtor might as well flip the white pages to "Friesen" and just start calling people until it sells.
Quote:
I don't see anything specifically about 55+, but ya. No young professional is affording that place. This is the trend along Henderson. Multi family developments. At least this one is more classic apartment looking style as opposed to the stick framed, slanty roof crap shacks everywhere else.
There are tons of successful empty-nesters in NK and ESP, seems like an ideal fit. That said, I'm an ESP/NK person and while not young nor old, never seriously considered leaving.

At my age, there are plenty in my neighbourhood who have no children and would love this.

Smart play, even if bold (which NK needs). I'm in favour.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 7:06 PM

Body found in RM of Tache end of October is that of missing grandmother Thelma Krull who disappeared in July 2015.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 8:27 PM
Winnipeg

I just heard my coworkers talking about this...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 9:06 PM

Ya, super sad. This one hits home for me. It's the area where I grew up, Valley Gardens. I went to all three schools and the community centre where she disappeared. 2 bad incidents that year with Cooper Nemeth in the same area.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 12:46 AM

FYI Superstore rolled started delivery here over the weekend. Pretty reasonable fees IMO – you can get it to your house in as little as an hour.

https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/delivery

The need for a full scale grocery store downtown is next to gone. Sure it'd be nice, but not necessary – I'm sure we'll start to see some more small specialty stores popping up in the next few years as residents increase.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
I still have a hard time understanding the mobile networks. Who shares networks with whom? Why would Telus have such a good network with so little market share? They didn't just spring up a bunch of new infrastructure because of the MTS thing did they? Or because less people are using their network?

I'm with Rogers and seems the network has gotten worse since the MTS sale. Almost like they reconfigured towers or something. I don't know. I've heard this from numerous people. I've been with Rogers for a while. More recently I stayed with them as they offered NHL GameCentre for 'free' for the duration of your contract. That has now been dropped so no reason to stay with them.

Off topic for this thread. Maybe we move it elsewhere.
I believe Rogers and MTS built the 4G network together in MB, but did not do the same for LTE. I think Telus also got some of the infrastructure/spectrum from the MTS deal – not 100% sure on this though.

I had heard a few years ago that the ratio of mobile in MB was about 50% MTS, 30% Rogers, 10% Telus, 10% everything else. Telus got about 1/3 of MTS' mobile business, which would mean they're likely now about on par with Rogers – pretty good justification to make a stronger push here and upgrade infrastructure.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:43 PM

Another development sent back to the drawing boards due to the NIMBY's. London at Kimberley in EK.

Hearing 1.
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=

I know a lot of the people in the against column on this one. Piss, right off. That land has been sitting empty for decades. I think 6 stories is just fine. But I'm all about that kind of stuff. I do think the site could be better laid out. But whatever. We'll see what the scaled back version looks like.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:32 PM

That's literally perfect for the area. Dopes.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Another development sent back to the drawing boards due to the NIMBY's. London at Kimberley in EK.

Hearing 1.
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=

I know a lot of the people in the against column on this one. Piss, right off. That land has been sitting empty for decades. I think 6 stories is just fine. But I'm all about that kind of stuff. I do think the site could be better laid out. But whatever. We'll see what the scaled back version looks like.
Funnily enough, I know two people on the against side too. They live in some of the two storey motel style condos in the area. Not sure what the opposition would be.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:08 PM

Lots of them live on Hershey St, across from the proposed site. The developer will likely scale down or re-configure the site. Seems like a perfect fit for the area.

I used to build forts in the trees they were preserving that are in the middle of the parking lot. There used to be deer living in the trees there way back in the early 90's, prior to the western half of the site being developed. They'd roam from the areas of Transcona west and further to the east.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 12:47 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Great article about the Chicken Chef operation in the Free Press today!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Great article about the Chicken Chef operation in the Free Press today!
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...503649541.html

“Winner winner, chicken dinner
Franchise owners not chicken about trying new things, encouraging franchisees to customize menus to local tastes”

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:18 PM

Photo from an hour ago...I never understood why some people think that by shutting down Portage and Main with a protest during rush hour, they will garner much public support for their cause.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:25 PM

Ironically enough they all voted to keep the intersection closed.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 8:57 PM

Hey look there's people on the street delaying traffic and the world didn't end!

You don't say...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 12:31 AM
BANNED

^ the entire intersection was closed for hours during rush hour and everyone still made it home ok. almost like people can adapt

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:29 PM

I don't think the idea is to garner public support among the commuters inconvenienced. The idea is to increase the costliness of not doing anything to resolve their concerns. It's civil disobedience, not public relations.

Whether that's a good strategy, I'm not sure. But I think that's the idea of movements that seek to shut down (even temporarily) a city.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I don't think the idea is to garner public support among the commuters inconvenienced. The idea is to increase the costliness of not doing anything to resolve their concerns. It's civil disobedience, not public relations.

Whether that's a good strategy, I'm not sure. But I think that's the idea of movements that seek to shut down (even temporarily) a city.
I think it's more to get media attention for their cause. Not sure shutting down Portage and Main has any affect on decisions made on a pipeline in AB.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 8:26 PM
Formerly rypinion

Just FYI, it's actually a BC-only pipeline for Natural Gas obtained by fracking in the Dawson Creek area. A bit different from the other pipelines that have been in the news of late.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan