HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 4:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:

awwww mman that's nice! i'm gonna go over there tomorrow.

this makes me happy!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Kitschy enough to be kool?
Not quite. As far as that line of reasoning is concerned, they should have gone all in.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 11:37 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2020 View Post
R. Collection

LibraryShade/FLICKR
OH YEAH! I saw this the other day, it looks fantastic! I am wondering...are they going to cut into the stone wall on the side the Roosevelt Road bridge to permit for the entrance? Seems like a challenge...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 12:46 PM

Being a Chicago forumer here can be a difficult thing. I'm not sure any city on these boards has as many heated arguments over such (relatively) small things. Stepping back, I guess that's what makes this forum great for Chicagoans and what makes Chicago so great to begin with: so many people that are passionate about the future of the city.

Honte, you mentioned not wanting to bore us with redundant opinions. Personally, I'd like to see your ideas--and the idea of all other passionate and courteous forumers--posted again and again, bringing them into the current debate. I've noticed that as time, and pages, rush forward, some of the greatest ideas and posts tend to get lost in the shuffle. Please, worry about a *lack* of information, if anything.

If these small debates, which could help determine the course of future development in this city aren't relevant to general development, I don't know what is.

Taft

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
awwww mman that's nice! i'm gonna go over there tomorrow.

this makes me happy!
We had a few drinks seated at the front window of Clark St. Ale House a week ago and I sat and admired this beauty the entire time. Definitely worth seeing in person and I'll be excited to see this finished.

Does anyone know details of this building? It seems as though a restaurant is going in the space. Seems like a pricy "build-out" for a restaurant development, though....

Taft

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:18 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taft View Post
We had a few drinks seated at the front window of Clark St. Ale House a week ago and I sat and admired this beauty the entire time. Definitely worth seeing in person and I'll be excited to see this finished.

Does anyone know details of this building? It seems as though a restaurant is going in the space. Seems like a pricy "build-out" for a restaurant development, though....

Taft
is it on clark? I thought it was Wells, couldnt remember for sure. It is definitely a restaurant. Something with "zen" in the title (may even be it)....The motto is "taking food to the next level". Looks like it could be a cool place.

edit: found it. http://www.zed451.com/

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:25 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
A little additional on Chicago Children's Museum.....[/B]
Thanks for the clarifications.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:38 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:

2) Carnivals. I think Chicago needs a fairground or some kind of public square for this. I like the geographic location of the festivals (proximity to the Lakefront and downtown and transit), but I dislike what they do to Grant Park (dead grass, trash, potable toilets everywhere). One or two is ok, but I think they hold Grant Park back from its potential by being held all summer in the same place. I was hoping Meigs would become a fairground after the Midnight Massacre, but it's too far away to transplant the big ones.
I have thought about this a bit especially when thinking about Milwaukees Maier festival park or Toronto's exhibition/Ontario place. Why let the burbs have all the sucker dollars that the city could pick pick up. Charter One is going to have to go eventually, every town n the metro are getting water parks other then Chicago, the Navy Pier people obvously though there is a market for some small amusement park, put a cracy ski dome like they are building in Jersey maybe. As well you could have stretches that would be able to hold large festivals like the Taste or Lollapalooza. I would just not care to see such a fair ground directley on the lake obviously. Doing so could also maybe save Navy Pier from further indignities as well as a bonus.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 3:37 PM

Quote:
So, I have a question for you: Why are you so gung-ho, 100% convinced that this is the best place for this building? As an architect, I'd expect you to seek out all possible ideas and configurations before being set on one scheme. You can disagree with everything else I've said, but the one unavoidable fact is that there are plenty of great places for this institution, and this one is chock-full of problems.
That's just it Honte, from an architectural and urban planning perspective, I see no problems whatsoever....rather just vast improvements.

The only legitimate problems I have heard re the CCM are from the political and legal perpectives, not the architectural or urban planning. As far as comparing Daley Bi to the work of Dan Kiley or thinking that it is or ever was a minimalist masterpiece, you must admit, you stand alone with that opinion.

Look, Grant Park IS our front yard, and you might not like how the relatives are using it (I personally avoid all those festivals like the plague), it has proven very successful at doing just that. This is almost wholly due to its specific and wondrous location.

And, this is exactly why the CCM wants to be RIGHT THERE and NO WHERE ELSE. It is a singularly unique site....no other site could possibly offer the CCM what this one does. Could they exist somewhere else? Of course, but no other site offers the promise that this one does. Again, as an architect, if you don't recognize this, then you are fooling yourself. I can't think of any other uses that would be appropriate but a museum for kids does seem right. (On the other hand, the existing neighborhood field house itself does not appear to be an appropriate use....maybe they should just comletely eliminate that when they rebuild.)

Honte, when did art and architecture stop being sculpture?,

Mr. Downtown, you didn't mention the maintenance buildings on South Columbus; not one, but two Excelon Pavilions; the Bike Station building; the Restaurant along Michigan Ave; and, most signicantly, the Daley Bi Feildhouse itself.

BTW, apologies to those who are bored with the what-to-build or not-to-build in Grant Park discussion.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 3:38 PM
BANNED

Though I agree with your comments on Chicago Needing a Festival ground, I don't know where your idea of waterparks and themeparks is coming from. I don't want any of that cheesy crap downtown. Not to mention building a waterpark or themepark downtown would be a completely inefficient land use.

Either way, I don't think the lakefront is big enough and really wish the city would continue building the Burnham islands to expand our lakefront parks. Perhaps we could build a few larger islands south of Northerly and turn them into our festival park type area.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 3:48 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Either way, I don't think the lakefront is big enough and really wish the city would continue building the Burnham islands to expand our lakefront parks. Perhaps we could build a few larger islands south of Northerly and turn them into our festival park type area.
what is this, Dubai?

I've actually though about that before. What if Chicago did a Palm-type development in the lake and sold plots of residential land. That'd be insane. I wonder if those would ever sell? Could you imagine the cold winters on the frozen lake? On the other hand, the summers would be great.

Last edited by cbotnyse; Apr 6, 2008 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 4:28 PM

What is going on at Diversey and Lakewood? There's massive demolition going on, it looks like about 2 city blocks have been cleared.
What's being rebuilt?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 4:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
That's just it Honte, from an architectural and urban planning perspective, I see no problems whatsoever....rather just vast improvements.

The only legitimate problems I have heard re the CCM are from the political and legal perpectives, not the architectural or urban planning. As far as comparing Daley Bi to the work of Dan Kiley or thinking that it is or ever was a minimalist masterpiece, you must admit, you stand alone with that opinion.

Look, Grant Park IS our front yard, and you might not like how the relatives are using it (I personally avoid all those festivals like the plague), it has proven very successful at doing just that. This is almost wholly due to its specific and wondrous location.

And, this is exactly why the CCM wants to be RIGHT THERE and NO WHERE ELSE. It is a singularly unique site....no other site could possibly offer the CCM what this one does. Could they exist somewhere else? Of course, but no other site offers the promise that this one does. Again, as an architect, if you don't recognize this, then you are fooling yourself. I can't think of any other uses that would be appropriate but a museum for kids does seem right. (On the other hand, the existing neighborhood field house itself does not appear to be an appropriate use....maybe they should just comletely eliminate that when they rebuild.)

Honte, when did art and architecture stop being sculpture?,
You and I are looking at this entirely differently. Your argument that they "want to be right there and nowhere else" falls completely flat. Do you know how many private enterprises would like to be "right there," along the lakefront? Give me a break. Why is it so desirable after all these years? Why aren't they looking at Gary's lakefront, if they think that any old party should be able to make a claim? That was the whole point of protecting the lakefront parks.

Architecture and planning are NOT about what the client wants all the time. That is not how great cities are built.

My question was whether this is the best place for the museum, not whether it meets their needs. Again, I think in terms of net gains. And I disagree with you that it is the ideal place for them anyway. It offers low-to-zero visibility (wait until the 'compromise' plan comes out that has a fraction of the advertising 'sculptures'). It is in a low-traffic corner of the park. It has little public transit, as Mr. Downtown pointed out. The neighbors already hate it. And so forth. The institution would be much better served by building a flashy new building in a high-visibility location adjacent to public transit, but that solution doesn't satisfy the other interests and makes the Emperor look like he's weak.

Many very intelligent people will argue that architecture never was sculpture, and that is for a different thread, not here. I'm not even going to go there. Again, I am discussing this from a legal standpoint. I'm not lawyer, but this is a technical and semantic issue and has nothing to do with how you appreciate or fancy your work. It's quite obvious that the law was intended to keep buildings out of Grant Park, and that the allowance for sculpture was not implemented to be a loophole for museums and other greedy parties that think they know what's best.

I agree that Grant Park is our Front Yard. All the more reason it needs extra attention, care, and protection, and should not be prone to all pressures put on it.

Is Daley Bi a Dan Kiley? No. Is every Modernist building a Mies or Corbu? No, but that doesn't make them unimportant. But as someone with a very rich knowledge of Chicago Modernism - its history, development, and its impacts - I feel confident in my appraisals. While you are incorrect that I am alone in this opinion, I will grant you that I might be in the minority... but given the lack of respect for architecture, the general ignorance of the public and architects, and the rampant egomania in the profession, I'm used to it by now.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 4:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
What is going on at Diversey and Lakewood? There's massive demolition going on, it looks like about 2 city blocks have been cleared.
What's being rebuilt?
Is this on the South Side of the street???? There was an important sculpture there that needs to be saved if they are taking that building down. Please let me know ASAP!

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
What's being rebuilt?
It was a Hostess Twinkee factory getting demoed and replaced with single family homes and townhomes fronting on Diversey. Honte, I have no knowledge of the sculpture you mentioned.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 5:53 PM
Urbane observer

Diversey/Lakewood was the Peerless Confection factory, the last customer for the old Milwaukee Road railroad tracks in Lakewood Avenue. No Twinkies were ever baked there.

The Testa sculpture was already gone last weekend when I went by. Demo pictures.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 5:59 PM

It was the Peerless Candy factory, and the sculpture, by Angelo Testa was headed for Elmhurst Art Museum, last I heard.

The sculpture was commissioned by Architect Bill Keck for Peerless when Keck completed an addition to their factory. Angelo Testa was a student of Moholy-Nagy at the New Bauhaus, which evolved into the Institute of Design, now part of IIT. It was Testa's last commissioned work before his death.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Do you know how many private enterprises would like to be "right there," along the lakefront? Give me a break. Why is it so desirable after all these years? Why aren't they looking at Gary's lakefront, if they think that any old party should be able to make a claim? That was the whole point of protecting the lakefront parks.

Architecture and planning are NOT about what the client wants all the time. That is not how great cities are built.

My question was whether this is the best place for the museum, not whether it meets their needs. Again, I think in terms of net gains. And I disagree with you that it is the ideal place for them anyway. It offers low-to-zero visibility (wait until the 'compromise' plan comes out that has a fraction of the advertising 'sculptures'). It is in a low-traffic corner of the park. It has little public transit, as Mr. Downtown pointed out. The neighbors already hate it. And so forth. The institution would be much better served by building a flashy new building in a high-visibility location adjacent to public transit, but that solution doesn't satisfy the other interests and makes the Emperor look like he's weak.

Many very intelligent people will argue that architecture never was sculpture, and that is for a different thread, not here. I'm not even going to go there. Again, I am discussing this from a legal standpoint. I'm not lawyer, but this is a technical and semantic issue and has nothing to do with how you appreciate or fancy your work. It's quite obvious that the law was intended to keep buildings out of Grant Park, and that the allowance for sculpture was not implemented to be a loophole for museums and other greedy parties that think they know what's best.

I agree that Grant Park is our Front Yard. All the more reason it needs extra attention, care, and protection, and should not be prone to all pressures put on it.

Is Daley Bi a Dan Kiley? No. Is every Modernist building a Mies or Corbu? No, but that doesn't make them unimportant. But as someone with a very rich knowledge of Chicago Modernism - its history, development, and its impacts - I feel confident in my appraisals. While you are incorrect that I am alone in this opinion, I will grant you that I might be in the minority... but given the lack of respect for architecture, the general ignorance of the public and architects, and the rampant egomania in the profession, I'm used to it by now.
Other institutions want to be in the park? Which ones? What possible justification would they have to do that? Can you name any other single institution that has ever considered buiding in Grant Park or ever would?

Come on, let's leave the legal and political arguments for other threads. Instead, let's focus on the architecture and planning...

Honte, Mr. Downtown was incorrect. The site is VERY accessible to public transit....it's two blocks from the Loop! - the most accessible place in the entire metropolitan area.

So which is it? Will the CCM destroy the park? or will it have such low visibility as you suggest that no one will even know it's there? Does the location suffer from low traffic (underutlization) as you suggest? or, will it become absolutely overrun by outsiders as the NIMBYs fear?

Another site would be better? Well, be specific, which one? All of the suggestions by the alderman can be compared one-by-one, and all fail to reach the potential of East Randolph.

Others share your opinion of Daley Bi? Who? I have taught at IIT and UIC, led the AIA Design Committee, have worked with Landmarks, etc., etc., and I know of no one involved with any of those institutions who has ever considered it of any historical value. Honte, you seriously risk losing all credibility when you fight to save every modern work regardless of its intrinsic value.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 6:20 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
I can't think of any other uses that would be appropriate but a museum for kids does seem right.
This, of course, is exactly what Burnham and every other civic leader was saying in 1908 about the Field Museum. Grant Park was the only appropriate location, and time was running out on Field's bequest. It's what was said about the Interstate Exposition Building, about the armory, about the Crerar Library, a new post office, city hall, and a dozen other proposed buildings. The only lonely voice of opposition was Montgomery Ward. Groups you might today expect to protect Grant Park from intrusions eagerly wear the mantle of Ward, "protector of the lakefront," while repudiating the actual principles he fought for.

In hindsight, civic groups perhaps should have been more vigilant in the 70s about Daley Bi, and definitely should have been more questioning about the Harris, the McDonald's Bicycle Station, and the Park Grill. (The Exelon Pavilions are arguably within the exceptions for de minimis stairways).

This is not some abstract principle or vague goal. In 1909 the Illinois Supreme Court ruled that, with regard to the area between Randolph and 11th Place, the covenant between the state canal commissioners and the original property owners, confirmed by the city's 1844 acceptance of the plat, was so inviolable that even the state legislature could not subsequently change it. Furthermore, any property owner on the west side of Michigan had a permanent easement across the park for light and air, which he could have enforced by injunction against the city or parks commission.

The court decisions are not difficult to understand. They have been placed online by the New East Side folks.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 6:29 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

why hasnt the Art Institute ever been challenged?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development