HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 6:40 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Another photo I took a couple of weeks ago of Vic West...

Vic West by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 6:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
Hey Phil... I resized them on Flickr as private photos so no one can see them except for on here. If you want me to delete them let me know. You can get a basic Flickr account for free. It's so easy to host photos with it...
I've got a free Flickr account where a bunch of my pictures are but I still can't figure out how to shrink the pictures

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:54 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I've got a free Flickr account where a bunch of my pictures are but I still can't figure out how to shrink the pictures
It's pretty easy Phil. When you are on your Flickr page you click on your photo. Four icons will be on the bottom right of the page with your photo. The second icon is an arrow pointing to the right. Click on that and it will say "Share 1 photo to: " and there will be four options. Click on the last option "BBCode" A window will appear with options of sizes. I usually click on "Large (1024 x 590)" then right click on the top code and copy and paste it here. I hope this makes sense.

I was driving through uptown mall today and saw the rendering of the current final phase. A 24 story tower. With 362 rental units. The residential phase. I took a photo of the rendering and Saanich development sign...

Uptown final Phase by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Uptown final phase by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 5:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It's pretty easy Phil
No it wasn't easy and that's because Flickr has for some reason, lumped the share button together with the resize feature which makes no sense, you'd think that the resize feature would be part of the "Edit with Flickr photo editor" feature which explains why I couldn't find it. Anyway, thanks for the help. Also, thanks for the Uptown update although i'm not really a big fan of the proposal because I think it's architecturally boring and it's in the wrong location, buildings that size belong downtown not in Saanich

20230327_132330 by likesrats, on Flickr

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Apr 3, 2023 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 7:54 PM

Quote:
It's pretty easy Phil. When you are on your Flickr page you click on your photo. Four icons will be on the bottom right of the page with your photo. The second icon is an arrow pointing to the right. Click on that and it will say "Share 1 photo to: " and there will be four options. Click on the last option "BBCode" A window will appear with options of sizes. I usually click on "Large (1024 x 590)" then right click on the top code and copy and paste it here. I hope this makes sense.

I was driving through uptown mall today and saw the rendering of the current final phase. A 24 story tower. With 362 rental units. The residential phase. I took a photo of the rendering and Saanich development sign...

Nice! This is long overdue. Hope this area turns into a high-density commercial and residential centre very soon. The existing parking areas of the strip malls can be carved into smaller lot pockets with interesting plazas, vibrant laneways, etc.

It looks like there will be ground floor retail at this final phase of Uptown?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 5:01 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Phil... That's a great vantage point and photo. I'm trying to figure where this photo was take from? I was talking to Zoomer on Sunday and mentioned how I thought there was suppose to be buildings and high rises below these? Especially in front of the two office buildings by the Bay Street Bridge but I don't think there's plans to build them now? Am I wrong on this?

Vin... I noticed that too on the Saanich rezoning sign. I think it's great there'll be commercial spaces under the rental tower. I just wish they had built more residential towers in the previous phases instead of just two levels of office spaces. I do like this rendering though.

I took this photo of the excavation progress of The Telus Ocean development. The other day I had an exchange of words with a guy on Facebook who said that this will destroy the views of the Empress from the harbor along with all the other high rises etc. I mentioned to him how the Provincial Government got rezoning for the Y lot for two high rise office towers because they restored the then condemned St. Annes Academy. And how they sold that lot to Concert who built The Marriott, Astoria, and The Belevedere with that rezoning. I told him without those high rises there wouldn't be a St. Annes Academy. He didn't seem to listen to my reasoning as he said that this new Office development will be a blight from the harbor etc. Anyways here's my photo...

Telus Ocean Office Development by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 8:58 PM

I think that's why the final design of Telus Ocean was lowered a little from the previous one. If it is too tall, it will indeed spoil the view of the Empress from the harbour.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 11:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Phil... That's a great vantage point and photo. I'm trying to figure where this photo was take from? I was talking to Zoomer on Sunday and mentioned how I thought there was suppose to be buildings and high rises below these? Especially in front of the two office buildings by the Bay Street Bridge but I don't think there's plans to build them now? Am I wrong on this?

I took this photo of the excavation progress of The Telus Ocean development. The other day I had an exchange of words with a guy on Facebook who said that this will destroy the views of the Empress from the harbor along with all the other high rises etc. I mentioned to him how the Provincial Government got rezoning for the Y lot for two high rise office towers because they restored the then condemned St. Annes Academy. And how they sold that lot to Concert who built The Marriott, Astoria, and The Belevedere with that rezoning. I told him without those high rises there wouldn't be a St. Annes Academy. He didn't seem to listen to my reasoning as he said that this new Office development will be a blight from the harbor etc. Anyways here's my photo...
I had an appointment atop the 6 story office building on Hillside between Blanshard and Douglas and thankfully it has an outdoor patio from which I went on a shooting spree, the only problem is, Ross Place is right between it and downtown so it kind of fucked up my shots of downtown but thanks for the advice about Flickr, I can now post reasonably sized pictures

That guy you talked to on a facebook is just another dummy that doesn't understand all the benefits of development but thankfully the people that do understand (like most city councillors) are the ones that matter which is why Victoria has for a long time had a very low unemployment rate. How could it be a blight from the inner harbor since the Empress will almost completely block it out just like it has all the other high-rises behind it?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 7:38 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I had an appointment atop the 6 story office building on Hillside between Blanshard and Douglas and thankfully it has an outdoor patio from which I went on a shooting spree, the only problem is, Ross Place is right between it and downtown so it kind of fucked up my shots of downtown but thanks for the advice about Flickr, I can now post reasonably sized pictures

That guy you talked to on a facebook is just another dummy that doesn't understand all the benefits of development but thankfully the people that do understand (like most city councillors) are the ones that matter which is why Victoria has for a long time had a very low unemployment rate. How could it be a blight from the inner harbor since the Empress will almost completely block it out just like it has all the other high-rises behind it?
That guy was saying that The Empress is only 8 stories and the Telus building will be ten so it'll stick way about the roof line of the Empress from the harbor. He had no idea what he was talking about. Regarding Ross Place. I got up on the top floor of that building years ago and got some great shots of downtown. I'd love to get back up there and take a new set of photos from there. I tried a second time probably about 12 years ago but I got busted and was told to leave. I'll have to figure out how to do it again.

Here's a photo of the Aria Condos downtown I took last Sunday...

The Aria Condos by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 6:32 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I was so happy to hear that Starlight's Harris Green Village passed it's final hearing today and construction will start this year. How exciting. A five tower two phase project with 1500 rental units and lots of commercial space. The tallest tower at 32 stories... Harris Green is going to be such a high density neighborhood in the next 5-10 years.

https://www.cheknews.ca/harris-green...-year-1147672/

Final approval... by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That guy was saying that The Empress is only 8 stories and the Telus building will be ten so it'll stick way about the roof line of the Empress from the harbor. He had no idea what he was talking about. Regarding Ross Place. I got up on the top floor of that building years ago and got some great shots of downtown. I'd love to get back up there and take a new set of photos from there. I tried a second time probably about 12 years ago but I got busted and was told to leave. I'll have to figure out how to do it again
For some reason I thought Telus Ocean was going to be 13 stories but you're right it's going to be 10 stories, either way it will have zero impact on anything

Your conversation with that guy reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy years ago along the Songhees walkway who opposed the superyacht marina before it was built. I assume he was some nimby who lived in the Songhees but what he didn't know was, I was very familiar with the issue so I just explained all the benefits of it's construction and after hearing me explain them he just said he didn't want to talk to me

This city's got way too many narcissistic buffoons like these two

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Apr 12, 2023 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 5:12 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

The new 6 story building on the corner of McKenzie and Shelbourne in Saanich. It took them a really long time to construct this building. Back in the early 90's it was Victoria's first Circle K. 😃

New 6 story building in Saanich by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 6:32 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

This is a really cool old video of Victoria...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjqCpwEEPcY

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 10:47 PM
BANNED

^The most amazing thing about that video is at 3:12

I'll bet the Malahat has 15X the volume of traffic it had back then, yet still most of it is 2 lanes. Incredible

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 8:02 PM

Never knew Victoria had Bobbies back in the days. Should've continued the tradition. Sadly, many of the traditions, such Cricket games, are vanishing here.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 6:50 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Here's a link that has some videos of how the new Keating flyover overpass will look when it's done. Work is to start this week and to be completed in 2025...

https://www.victoriabuzz.com/2023/04...edium=facebook

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 6:12 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Some progress photos of The Home Depot development in Saanich...

The Home Depot Development by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

The Home Depot development by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 6:17 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

The former White Spot development is going to Public Hearing. Should pass I believe. 3 towers of up to 21 stories on top of a 2 story podium.

https://www.cheknews.ca/former-white...rings-1149452/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 3:38 AM

Wow, great find Scaper on that old video!!

Here’s a couple Victoria photo threads I posted recently in the Canada section followed by my personal favourite from each thread:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=9818

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=9807

Looking towards Sussex Place from Broughton and Government. April 2, 2023. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Moss Rock From Government House - April 12, 2023 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 5:21 AM
April Melissa Sandever

Quote:

Interesting...

Wonder what the layout and cost of the condo's will be? Anybody know if they have broke ground yet?

April Junior Website Manager @ SkyscraperPage

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia