HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 12:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Huge thunderclap. With the fog, it was deafening. People jumped in my meeting lol. And Facebook has lit up with even young people saying they thought it was an industrial explosion, haven't heard anything like it even in the tropics, etc.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 2:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's interesting how the occasional thunderclap can be especially booming and prolonged. I remember one from a few years back here in Moncton which lasted at least 10-12 seconds, and the sound kept growing and growing to a crescendo until it died out at the end. It was kinda unnerving.

17C and mostly cloudy here at 11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 8:49 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

No end in sight.

I got caught walking in heavy rain TWICE today. We never used to really get that. Just fog and drizzle. Today alone probably accounts for 25% of the time I've been wet to the skin from rain here lol

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 9:06 PM

30-50mm of rain yesterday evening.
Lot more than we expected. Have not seen heavy sustained rain fall that heavy in a long time. Noticed the city out most of the night cleaning catch basins and flushing lines.

A couple of streets down from me numerous houses had flooded basements. I got a bit of water but that was only because I didn't check my eaves this spring.

Even though I live on a hill had lots of standing water in the yard. At least 2 inch at one point. Neighbour across the street had water ingress as well.

Don't need to water the gardens for a while.

So much water on the street we had ducks out for a walk in it. Also noticed a few of my flower beds had significant run off.

But gah the air smells so good right now..

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 2:40 AM
Go Chiefs!

31C (humidex of 32) and sunny. Some very thin clouds at some point but in no way did they hide the sun.

Absolute perfection. Barely any wind as well.

Low of 17C this morning.

The warmspot were St-Hubert and Saint-Anicet, QC at 31.7C.

Warmest low was Port Colborne, ON at 18.1C.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 2:56 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I saw that Montreal had its second most days above 19 degrees ever this May. Been a pretty good streak there since mid May.
We've been over 19C every single day since May 13th. Stupid 3 days where we didn't reach 20.

The more impressive streak however is Downtown Montreal going on 24 consecutive lows above 10C... and counting.

https://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...33&timeframe=2

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 11:45 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The sun is peeking through the fog just enough to be able to tell where in the sky it is lol

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jun 5, 2024 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 12:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

15C and sunny in Moncton at 8 AM, going up to 23C this afternoon. Delightful weather!

There was an item on the regional CBC news last evening about the traffic chaos at the St. John's (NL) airport because of the dense fog over there. Lots of delays and redirected flights. Sounds bad........

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 12:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
15C and sunny in Moncton at 8 AM, going up to 23C this afternoon. Delightful weather!

There was an item on the regional CBC news last evening about the traffic chaos at the St. John's (NL) airport because of the dense fog over there. Lots of delays and redirected flights. Sounds bad........
Yeah. I had to last-minute cancel our involvement in a couple of national/international events because my boss couldn't get out So many event scenarios and speeches and news releases and whatever else to be edited on their end.

I thought our tech was upgraded enough to permenantly prevent this but I guess not.

Sun is poking through more strongly for a seconds every so often.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jun 5, 2024 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah. I had to last-minute cancel our involvement in a couple of national/international events because my boss couldn't get out So many event scenarios and speeches and news releases and whatever else to be edited on their end.

I thought our tech was upgraded enough to permenantly prevent this but I guess not.
Not all airplanes are equipped to perform CAT3 landings, nor are all pilots trained to perform them. That's why not all flights have been cancelled. If the plane has the capability and the trained crew, then days like yesterday would be no problem.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 2:45 PM

EC is indicating we are slightly higher for rain this year. Funny I always thought June was our rainy month.

Looking good for the rest of the week, Sunny but windy today gust to 50kph.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:44 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
30-50mm of rain yesterday evening.
Lot more than we expected. Have not seen heavy sustained rain fall that heavy in a long time. Noticed the city out most of the night cleaning catch basins and flushing lines.

A couple of streets down from me numerous houses had flooded basements. I got a bit of water but that was only because I didn't check my eaves this spring.

Even though I live on a hill had lots of standing water in the yard. At least 2 inch at one point. Neighbour across the street had water ingress as well.

Don't need to water the gardens for a while.

So much water on the street we had ducks out for a walk in it. Also noticed a few of my flower beds had significant run off.

But gah the air smells so good right now..
That system was super spotty, St. Albert where you are was dumped on but where I am just north of Downtown Edmonton, barely got wet.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
That system was super spotty, St. Albert where you are was dumped on but where I am just north of Downtown Edmonton, barely got wet.
Watched the radar and it was just spiralling over us. So much water even the eaves didn't hold up.

I walked onto a site project today thinking it would be waste deep mud. Even though they got hit by the same amount, the site was dry but soft. One good thing about the wind and our clay. it does dry fast.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 10:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

As of 5:30 p.m. today, of the 114 hours thus far in June, 112 have been foggy in St. John's.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:54 AM
Go Chiefs!

31C with a humidex of 37 and sunny. Another gorgeous one. 3rd straight 30C day, 4th overall this year.

Low of 20C this morning.

The warmspot was Moosonee, ON at 32.6C

Warmest low was Harrow, ON at 19.9C. Would be the warmest low if it holds.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:14 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
As of 5:30 p.m. today, of the 114 hours thus far in June, 112 have been foggy in St. John's.
Last time downtown Montreal felt St. John's highest temperature this month was more than 25 days ago... and you had to wake up at 5AM to experience it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 6:40 AM

Warm, dry and mostly sunny.

Wednesday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 18 C, the low was 10 C.

Downtown Vancouver, June 5 '24, my pics

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 9:07 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Got another rare one this morning!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:32 PM
Cap the Cut!

20240606_075444 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

A pic of one of our naval ships that was out doing maneuvers in the basin this morning.

Eighty years since D-Day. I was born 20 years after WWII but I remember it figuring into my life in terms of overhearing conversations of who did or did not return from the war. And then there was my uncle Alec who wasn't really my uncle but rather a man with no legs that my grandfather brought home from the war as the fellow had no other place to go or call home. In my maternal grandparents house he was the only one with his own room. That five bedroom farmhouse with one bathroom housed a minimum of 10 people but usually more. Typical boomers upbringing I suppose. At least for country-raised boomers. As for the weather... today is forecast to be a mix of sun and cloud with a high of 25 (17 where breezes come off the water) and a humidex of 27.

According to CBC supper hour news last evening we were 1.6 higher than average for May. Thankfully we seem to be beyond the below normal temps of the early spring. TWN has said to expect an above normal summer in terms of heat. Fingers are crossed that it stays below 30.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

My first cousin landed on Juno Beach on D-Day. He was a combat engineer. He died a few years back, and it was only in his obituary that this was mentioned. He never mention it to anyone (outside of his immediate family) that he has been there on that historic day. Some things veterans find very difficult to talk about. I didn't even know that he fought in the war. I used to joke that I came from a long line of cowards because of the dearth of military service (that I knew about). Not any more.........

Currently 16C and partly cloudy in Moncton at 10 AM, going up to 24C this afternoon.

We had a thunderstorm at midnight last night, bringing much needed rain. We are operating on a 50% deficit since May 1st. My newly planted hedge in the backyard appreciated it very much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada