HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't want to get us way off on another issue. The issue here is whether the mast is considered a spire or antenna.

Wheither or not either should count towards height is another issue for another thread, and luckily we have one...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=183533

http://www.radioworld.com/article/ny...unities/219236
NYC Broadcasters Eye WTC Rooftop Opportunities

by Randy J. Stine

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...#axzz2SYhF6XGw

We Are Made In New York (Again)

by Matt Straz
May 6, 2013

http://gawker.com/how-tall-is-the-fr...ower-487352341

How Tall Is the "Freedom Tower"?

May 3, 2013
There is no 'spire' attached to this building...

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post
There is no 'spire' attached to this building...
It will, at best, be an incomplete spire. Therefore CTBUH will not recognize it.

Can't be recognized as 1776 feet until its complete. Durst refuses to complete it. Case closed.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
It will, at best, be an incomplete spire. Therefore CTBUH will not recognize it.

Can't be recognized as 1776 feet until its complete. Durst refuses to complete it. Case closed.
Jack McCoy closed the case everyone! Boom.

Lord, I wish it were that easy. Especially if that were the official ruling? What a perfect slap in the the face. "It's incomplete". I seriously doubt it will happen but it would be amazing if it did. I can see the headline in the post — "INCOMPLETE - Council rules Freedom Tower not tallest building because spire not finished."

It would shame the PA into action.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 11:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Therefore CTBUH will not recognize it.
It doesn't seem like they should, but I won't rule it out.

Ana!!!

Weekly.Rest

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:

1 wtc will be the tallest building in the western hemisphere by pinnacle height criteria, theirs no running away from that, and by the way and insertion base on your opinion closes no case.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 11:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
1 wtc will be the tallest building in the western hemisphere by pinnacle height criteria, theirs no running away from that, and by the way and insertion base on your opinion closes no case.
Yeah, but nobody cares about that. The original 1 WTC was tallest for years, taller than the Sears Tower to pinnacle until a few years before 9/11. It's the official height that counts, so that's why nobody called the WTC "tallest". (It's also why the Twin Towers topped the ESB as tallest when they were built, and why 432 Park will do the same).

John Skelson

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:08 AM

the CTBUH loses all credibility to me if the Zifeng Building ends up 'officially' taller than 1 WTC, it already is taller than the Sears/Willis Tower according to them.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:25 AM

Ny Guy quote Yeah, but nobody cares about that. The original 1 WTC was tallest for years, taller than the Sears Tower to pinnacle until a few years before 9/11. It's the official height that counts, so that's why nobody called the WTC "tallest". (It's also why the Twin Towers topped the ESB as tallest when they were built, and why 432 Park will do the same).

True the north tower was 1,727 to sears 1,715 until 2,000 when sears became 1,729 pinnacle,just trying to make the best of the situation if 1 wtc mast does not get counted .

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:25 AM

I think they will rule it as a spire for the following reasons:
1. The antenna is built into the building while most buildings with antennas the antenna is attached later on.
2. They've been advertising this as 1776' if they all of a sudden change that then it will make us look like idiots.
3. The beacon is the same as it would have been anyway it's just the radome is gone.
4. Im pretty sure the comm's ring is what the comm equipment is for then the spire will not be used for any broadcasting.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:30 AM
BANNED

^From what I read antennas will be mounted on to the big russian pole bolted to the building.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
the CTBUH loses all credibility to me if the Zifeng Building ends up 'officially' taller than 1 WTC, it already is taller than the Sears/Willis Tower according to them.

CTBUH is dead to me if it is. This building is literally a Poo poo on a stick.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

Even a better comparison bank of america being taller than john Hancock .

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
True the north tower was 1,727 to sears 1,715 until 2,000 when sears became 1,729 pinnacle,just trying to make the best of the situation if 1 wtc mast does not get counted .
There really shouldn't be an issue of it being the "tallest" in North America. The height is significant because it was supposed to represent something.
The building could have been any number of heights. If the mast isn't counted towards height, it will be a dramatic difference and change from the
mandated site plan. Not to mention that there's about a 5 ft difference in height from where the official height will be taken from, and where current
measurments are taken from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
2. They've been advertising this as 1776' if they all of a sudden change that then it will make us look like idiots.
I don't see how that makes us look like idiots.

StacyGKinNJ

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:51 AM

Wow I almost thought those images were photoshopped there for a second I'm still not used to the building being all glass with no netting Great pics!

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:55 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
I think they will rule it as a spire for the following reasons:
1. The antenna is built into the building while most buildings with antennas the antenna is attached later on.
3. The beacon is the same as it would have been anyway it's just the radome is gone.
4. Im pretty sure the comm's ring is what the comm equipment is for then the spire will not be used for any broadcasting.
That's exactly why they shouldn't count it, they deserve to be made look like idiots and be pressured into putting on some kind of radome.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Even a better comparison bank of america being taller than john Hancock .
yeah, it's ridiculous.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 1:56 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:
Last time I checked isn't the CN Tower is in the western hemisphere, and if their talking pinnacle height??? What gives?? If there not going to call it a spire, it's top is no different than CN? And as we all know CN is a tad taller. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 2:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
Last time I checked isn't the CN Tower is in the western hemisphere, and if their talking pinnacle height??? What gives?? If there not going to call it a spire, it's top is no different than CN? And as we all know CN is a tad taller. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
He said tallest building in the western hemisphere. The CN tower is the tallest structure in the western hemisphere to pinnacle at 1'815 ft whilst One WTC is 1'776 ft to pinnacle.

And the CN tower actually has a radome...

Last edited by ih8pickingusernames; May 8, 2013 at 2:38 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 2:28 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
In the spirit of getting things correct, it's "they're" as opposed to "their" and "there."

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 3:53 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post
He said tallest building in the western hemisphere. The CN tower is the tallest structure in the western hemisphere to pinnacle at 1'815 ft whilst One WTC is 1'776 ft to pinnacle.

And the CN tower actually has a radome...
The CN Tower is the tallest freestanding structure in the western hemisphere. The tallest structure in the western hemisphere of any type is the KVLY-TV antenna mast in North Dakota.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive