HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
No I know!! My posts probably sound full of hate when I post but I’m not trying to be. It’s just stuff moves at a snales pace in this province unlike others and for someone like me who dreams to see the perimeter finally freeway status is just so exciting. I dream that 59, 90, 165, and 17 will one day be converted over to freeway status. It sucks traveling to another city and coming home here to nothing at all.
100% this!! Finally having tenders out for grade separations on the south perimeter, I just want this to start today!!!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 6:50 PM

Sent this to Ron Schuler's office in September after that wrong way driver crash that killed 4, the other wrong way driver in the same stretch shortly after, followed by the man that lost his life after rear ending a semi truck that was stopped at the CPR crossing.

Quote:
To whom it may concern,

In recent months there have been multiple fatal collisions on the south perimeter highway, as well as reports of wrong way drivers. These incidents occured between St Mary's Road and PTH 59S. Myself and many of my fellow citizens believe it necessary to fast track the design and construction of the CN Rail overpass east of St Anne's Road, as well as the St Anne's Road interchange itself. Based on the traffic volume and history of collisions, I believe that it makes more sense to start work on the above mentioned intersection and crossing prior to constructing the realignment and interchange on PTH 100 at PTH 3. Please take this into consideration, I know that one voice has little power but it is devastating to see the continued lack of significant improvement to this stretch of the south perimeter when there are regularly major and/or fatal collisions here.
Here is the response, sent from Doug Struthers, Director of Capital Region, Technical Services & Operations Division

Quote:
Thank you for your September 18, 2021 email to the Honourable Ron R. Schuler,
Minister of Infrastructure, regarding safety on the South Perimeter, Provincial Trunk
Highway (PTH) 100, between St. Mary’s Road and PTH 59. Your email was forwarded
to me and I am pleased to respond on behalf of the department.

Manitoba Infrastructure’s main priority for roads is public safety, and our goal is zero
fatalities/injuries from automotive collisions. For every serious collision, we methodically
examine where improvements can be made in terms of road configurations and access
design, commercial and private driver license training, enforcement, and other factors
that can move us closer to this goal.

The South Perimeter Highway Safety Plan was developed in 2018 with the intent to
complete it by 2024. The safety plan involves changes to access points in most
locations, including the closing of median openings where intersections are controlled
with stop signs. The project will also require investment in service roads. Further
information can be found here: South Perimeter Highway Projects | Infrastructure |
Province of Manitoba (gov.mb.ca)

The department selects the next interchange to be constructed based on safety
performance and level of service. The St. Mary’s Road interchange is currently in the
tendering process. The McGillivray interchange has been announced and preliminary
work has started. Additional projects, including the St. Anne’s interchange and CPR
overpass, will be considered in future capital plans. The department will continue to
monitor traffic operations on the perimeter and will address any issues that arise.

If you have any further questions regarding safety on Manitoba highways in your area,
please feel free to contact me directly at Doug.Struthers@gov.mb.ca or 204-346-6266.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 8:12 PM

So basically nothing new. There's nothing really they can say.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So basically nothing new. There's nothing really they can say.
One nugget of info essentially confirms what we assumed here on this forum, that the St Anne's rd interchange is on deck after PTH 3/ Oak Bluff. Good to hear the CPR line is also being considered as a bundle.

Edit - rereading it, I'm probably wrong. Wording just implies they're future projects.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
One nugget of info essentially confirms what we assumed here on this forum, that the St Anne's rd interchange is on deck after PTH 3/ Oak Bluff. Good to hear the CPR line is also being considered as a bundle.

Edit - rereading it, I'm probably wrong. Wording just implies they're future projects.
On the South Perimeter side, the next project after McGillvray interchange will either be St. Anne's (including CPR rail overpass) or Kenaston (including Waverley) based on the criteria in the letter.

By mentioning St. Anne's as future project, it seems reasonable on that basis to conclude it is next. At least at this stage of the plan.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:20 PM

Has there been any news on st Mary’s? It is now December 1st, as we have now passed November 30.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:24 PM

They basically just mentioned that St. Anne's is a future project. I think the assumption is that is next in line. But haven't seen anything official.

As they mentioned, St Anne's and the rail overpass will go together. At Kenaston, I would imagine the PR 330 interchange would be part of that project due to proximity and the new service road that was built would be shut down by a Kenaston interchange.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Has there been any news on st Mary’s? It is now December 1st, as we have now passed November 30.
One of the consortiums should get a nice Christmas present notification. Hopefully us public shmoo's will get the same.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:30 PM

Quote:
One of the consortiums should get a nice Christmas present notification. Hopefully us public shmoo's will get the same.
Haha yes it will be a Christmas miracle

I noticed on google maps a complete road closure from burland to the perimeter on st Mary’s. :0

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 11:47 PM

I took it as a pretty standard "boiler plate" response. Which makes sense as I am just one person voicing my opinion.

The TL;DR of the response would be
"Thanks for caring, we will continue as planned."

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 2:01 AM
Back from the dead

It's just fluff but it's not lending itself to a cynical interpretation. My guess would be St. Annes next simply because the Kenaston interchange requires rerouting 75 and another interchange (at least) at the south end. In other words, very big project in a time of sensible fiscal restraint. I imagine that will be one of the final pieces in the Perimeter upgrades. Also, as a newer intersection, design standards incorporated more safety-minded factors than virtually every other intersection on the Perimeter.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:11 AM

The initial Kenaston interchange is a parclo that ties into Waverley at the south end. Rather simple. I also see the access road I mentioned just extends south.

I dont know why they didnt realign Waverley already. Construction staging is my only thought. Like the 59 N/101 construction detour from 1996 to 2018.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:31 AM

Let me rephrase. Rather simple parclo concept. But wont be cheap. Lots of pavement.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Let me rephrase. Rather simple parclo concept. But wont be cheap. Lots of pavement.
But not astronomical out of the league when comparing what St Anne, Hwy 6 or Dugald will need.

All of then will require construction detours for perimeter, service road, and rural land acquisition. The only difference is they'll be going 4 lanes over top at the start, and clover loops are slightly longer.

The only interchange on the south perimeter that is easier and likely cheaper is PTH 3 because the bridge will be built in a field before perimeter and pth 3 are rerouted.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 2:41 PM

There was $68 million budgeted for St. Mary's I believe. Kenaston would probably be over $100 mil. I don't think it's get to $200+ mil that 59N/101 did. Maybe if they did they full interchange and part of the bypass.

And the basic diamonds in the future at the low end roads. They're pretty easy and cheap. Again it's mostly the highway realignment work that will make it expensive. They could just put up a bridge over the existing road and have the ramps split off like a normal widening project.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
You would think the province would be looking to purchase the property on the south side of st Anne’s and the perimeter. I believe they are a self storage place for rv”s similar to the north side st Anne storage. St Anne’s rd I couldn’t see being astronomical. With the added rail overpass that needs to be included with that project will make it an easy 100+ mill correct me if I’m wrong with that grand total.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:03 PM

Something like that. St. Anne's is more compact than St. Mary's. Both have property requirements. St. Mary's more area, but less developed.

St. Anne's will have 3 bridges and one pedestrian tunnel along the Seine. Lot's of retaining walls, which will be MSE. I would say it would still be closer to the St. Mary's budget. Maybe $75 million. Up to $100 million max. But that's just me spitballing.

IMO, all the other minor road interchanges should be like St. Anne's. Basic diamonds. More compact. Easier to understand and more consistent. None of the diverging diamond stuff. Consistency in anything is key.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 5:37 AM

Quote:
I saw the bids for the overpass today. There is a very real chance that none of the bidders will be happy. One bid was exceptionally low. I doubt there will be a decision by the 10th.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I saw the bids for the overpass today. There is a very real chance that none of the bidders will be happy. One bid was exceptionally low. I doubt there will be a decision by the 10th.
Just drove by this evening and Half a dozen No trespassing signs were installed today with metal poles. Looks like something is starting on the property finally.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 12:48 AM

Hey biff any news on the bid results of st Mary’s?!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan