HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 10:43 PM
Registered Loser

According to Tower_guy on Instagram, the rebar cages for level 73a are being put into place and following that core jump will be a final 4 foot jump to complete level 73b and the core.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Los Angeles View Post
According to Tower_guy on Instagram, the rebar cages for level 73a are being put into place and following that core jump will be a final 4 foot jump to complete level 73b and the core.
He posted pictures of the 1st cage for 73 going in today. In addition there is a video by Maniako416 of the lift and placement.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upward 2000 View Post
He posted pictures of the 1st cage for 73 going in today. In addition there is a video by Maniako416 of the lift and placement.
I thought we were barley on level 71?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
I thought we were barley on level 71?
The 30 or 40 foot tall cages for the core that have been placed over the past few weeks had cut-outs for the 70th and 71st levels. These next cages are for the 72nd and the lower half of the 73rd level. The last cages are 4' tall and will complete the upper part of the 73rd level and top-out the rebar core.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2015, 6:38 PM
Registered Loser

Did it make its final major jump already?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2015, 8:09 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Los Angeles View Post
Did it make its final major jump already?
I hope not, the building doesn't even look that tall. I mean I know there will be a crown and all, and while I like the design of this tower and everything it is quite a lame "tallest".

But who am I kidding, LA has hardly seen a skyscraper in years so this is definitely a welcomed addition. Plus the public space 70+ floors up will be sick.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2015, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I hope not, the building doesn't even look that tall. I mean I know there will be a crown and all, and while I like the design of this tower and everything it is quite a lame "tallest".

But who am I kidding, LA has hardly seen a skyscraper in years so this is definitely a welcomed addition. Plus the public space 70+ floors up will be sick.
Check out "Tower Guys" posts on SSC in the Los Angeles section under projects. He is the core crane operator and has the latest info on whats up. There are 12' rebar cages to place on top of the current ones to top out the 73rd level.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 12:17 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

This topic has been beaten to death. You don't have to think of this building as being the tallest if it makes you feel better.

But it's nothing new for unoccupied space to take up a big chunk of a tower. Look at most of the tallest buildings in the world. Hell, about 700 ft of Burj Khalifa is spire.

http://gizmodo.com/spire-shame-why-t...y-j-1264286446

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Finally passed AON?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 4:45 AM

^From that angle, with the current height difference between WG's core and US Bank, I feel it might be possible that WG's sail might at least reach the roof of US Bank. Keep in mind, I'm talking about the perception from that exact vantage point, looking southeast or so.

What do you guys think?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 7:16 AM
them bones

^Where is that taken from? Certainly east of Hahn Rec Area. Long lens from the soccer stadium in Carson maybe?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
But, the CTBUH says it's the tallest, so it is!

Seriously though you have to be a self-deluding idiot to use that excuse. It's obviously much shorter than its "official" height suggests. Idiots who claim to be blind to this fact are just that. Idiots.
I don't know. The crown is supposed to add a significant amount to top it off at 1000 ft. Looking at this rendering and the photo I posted earlier it seems to be about right when it comes to the glass. Look at how it compares to PWC behind it and AON.

The crown is obviously shorter than the bank tower as the bank tower tops off at 1,018 feet along with being much higher in elevation but the spire no matter what will definitely put it higher than USBT, higher elevation or not.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
I don't know. The crown is supposed to add a significant amount to top it off at 1000 ft. Looking at this rendering and the photo I posted earlier it seems to be about right when it comes to the glass. Look at how it compares to PWC behind it and AON.

The crown is obviously shorter than the bank tower as the bank tower tops off at 1,018 feet along with being much higher in elevation but the spire no matter what will definitely put it higher than USBT, higher elevation or not.
These are the starting elevations for the three tallest buildings. The US banks elevation at the 5th Street south entrance is 300' MSL. The The WG is 286' MSL. The AON is 280' MSL.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 9:04 PM

The CTBUH official rules stand. The overall height is 1,100' regardless of where the top floor or roof is located. Just as with all other buildings built prior to this one. I had a conversation with another former last year on a different page about spires. He said if you mount an antenna to the side of a buildings mast or spire it discounts the height of it because it is now an antenna.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 9:27 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
These are the starting elevations for the three tallest buildings. The US banks elevation at the 5th Street south entrance is 300' MSL. The The WG is 286' MSL. The AON is 280' MSL.
The top of the main superstructure of the WG lines up with the dark cladding on Aon Tower. Around 827'. Then the sail should top out around the last setback on the US Bank Tower, where the skyspace observation deck will be. The core is pretty much topped out. All this has been gone over dozens of times.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
The top of the main superstructure of the WG lines up with the dark cladding on Aon Tower. Around 827'. Then the sail should top out around the last setback on the US Bank Tower, where the skyspace observation deck will be. The core is pretty much topped out. All this has been gone over dozens of times.
Tower Guy on SSC is a crane operator for the core crane. He said there is one last placement of 12' rebar cages to go on top of the current ones.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Yes the core now does line up with the top of the cladding of the AON as the posts are showing. No one is arguing about what you just said.The heights of this buildings roof and sail support it.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 10:38 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Yes the core now does line up with the top of the cladding of the AON as the posts are showing. No one is arguing about what you just said.The heights of this buildings roof and sail support it.
Actually quite a few are arguing about it,...read the thread. lol. I'm just going based on all the confirmed renders and info.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
^Where is that taken from? Certainly east of Hahn Rec Area. Long lens from the soccer stadium in Carson maybe?
There are a number of spots in the Baldwin Hills to get good DTLA shots besides Hahn. I just drive around the neighborhood and find different spots.
The photo in discussion looks like it was taken a bit north from where I shoot mine.
This one is one is from Mt Vernon Dr.

There are a few other roads, I will try next time to find where the one from Flickr is taken from, looks north of where I shot my pic. so off Stocker maybe climbed up somewhere?

Google street view from Mt Vernon, of course you need a long lens

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Actually quite a few are arguing about it,...read the thread. lol. I'm just going based on all the confirmed renders and info.
I meant no one was arguing with you're post of the building being even with the AON cladding. And that the sail will be about even with the last setback of the US bank building. The prior posts about spire height are the issue that some bring up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive