HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
I'm a smoker and I smoke about 20-30 ft away from the bus stop and haven't seen anyone do the opposite. I must be missing all the a**hole smokers out there as I can't recall seeing someone do it in quite a few years.

(full disclosure though - I have smoked in the small unheated doorless bus shelters when no one else was at the stop and there was enough wind to
1) make it worth me going in there
2) clear out any of the smoke so that even if a mother and her child got into the shelter more than 10 seconds after I'd left any of the smoke would have been cleared out. )
Last week I was waiting for a bus across from the bay on Vaughn. Large group of people waiting there. 3 women stepped into the middle of the bunch and lit up cigarettes. I mean one of the women had a face tattoo so that tells you something. I wouldn't say its common place, but I do see it happen fairly regularly. Quite frankly it's disgusting and I have to walk away. I used to take a bus route where a woman would routinely get on after smoking and sit next to me. The smell made me nauseous. It's nasty. It's no where near car exhaust. Cars aren't blowing exhaut at me from 3 ft away when I'm waiting for a bus and when I get on an elevator after someone just finished driving it doesn't reek of car exhaust.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 8:41 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Nothing is more sickening that having to smell someone that has just smoked.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 8:47 PM

Especially worst in the winter it really clings to clothes, gross.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:02 PM

Make your dreams come true with a $1.2 million, 2 bedroom 2400 square foot third floor condo in... North Kildonan?!?

https://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/...onan/id-111369

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:04 PM

Probably better than the million dollar condos on Marion haha. But ya, wow. Expensive. Looks like 6 units per floor. Large though, 2400 sq ft.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:18 PM
the first stamp is free

^ seeing as P&M will remain closed, they are probably trying to market it to those urban young professional types. You know, since the short commute time through downtown is being maintained...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ seeing as P&M will remain closed, they are probably trying to market it to those urban young professional types. You know, since the short commute time through downtown is being maintained...
The only logical buyer is a 65 year old retired Mennonite who sold his successful business and now snowbirds for half the year and wants somewhere nice to live in his old neighbourhood without the usual maintenance headaches of home ownership.

This is the only possible buyer. The realtor might as well flip the white pages to "Friesen" and just start calling people until it sells.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:11 PM

I don't see anything specifically about 55+, but ya. No young professional is affording that place. This is the trend along Henderson. Multi family developments. At least this one is more classic apartment looking style as opposed to the stick framed, slanty roof crap shacks everywhere else.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:35 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

"Money may not buy happiness, but I'd rather cry in a Jaguar than on a bus."

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:45 PM

I noticed that too.. Speaks to the demographic they're after.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
"Money may not buy happiness, but I'd rather cry in a Jaguar than on a bus."
LOL, I liked that

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The only logical buyer is a 65 year old retired Mennonite who sold his successful business and now snowbirds for half the year and wants somewhere nice to live in his old neighbourhood without the usual maintenance headaches of home ownership.

This is the only possible buyer. The realtor might as well flip the white pages to "Friesen" and just start calling people until it sells.
That's over-generalizing.

Given the proximity to the Red River and Bunn's Creek, the area is quite naturally attractive, a rarity in Winnipeg. It is much closer to downtown too, with probably amongst the best transit links of any outer suburb to downtown.

Plus it is quick and easy to get out of the city to head up to the beaches, to the north Whiteshell and Nopiming (the 59/101 interchange is a huge improvement and it's not even completed yet). A Sunday drive to Lockport , the St. Paul market gardens and River Road are nearly at your doorstep. Good cycling in the area as well.

But don't tell anyone! Forget what I wrote, it's actually not a nice area at all, terrible really. Waverley West is where it's at. People should go live there.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 8:23 PM

Bunns Creek is a great walk. We frequent that are in summer.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:00 PM
There is always a way

I was at at WSO show over the weekend and came across this model somewhere in the building (forget exactly where) of what they had planned for the entire neighbourhood at the time the whole concert hall and museum district were being planned. Thank heavens they didn't succeed in bringing the vision to fruition. They would have razed the entire east exchange and set down a freeway where waterfront drive currently lies.

We can take solace in the fact that we still have the cultural gem that is the exchange.

On the other hand it looks like North St B got the highrise development it deserves according to this model so it wasn't all bad.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post

I was at at WSO show over the weekend and came across this model somewhere in the building (forget exactly where) of what they had planned for the entire neighbourhood at the time the whole concert hall and museum district were being planned. Thank heavens they didn't succeed in bringing the vision to fruition. They would have razed the entire east exchange and set down a freeway where waterfront drive currently lies.

We can take solace in the fact that we still have the cultural gem that is the exchange.

On the other hand it looks like North St B got the highrise development it deserves according to this model so it wasn't all bad.
Is that a bridge on Bannatyne? Some kind of freeway to Transcona there?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 9:06 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

That model looks pre-Forks.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
That model looks pre-Forks.
It dates back to sometime around the mid to late 60s.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 9:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Could you imagine if that plan had gone through?

In true Winnipeg fashion, about 4 of those buildings would have been built in "phase 1", "phase 2" delayed indefinitely, leaving us with acres of wind swept surface parking to this day.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
In true Winnipeg fashion, about 4 of those buildings would have been built in "phase 1", "phase 2" delayed indefinitely, leaving us with acres of wind swept surface parking to this day.
You are bang on, that is EXACTLY how it would have played out.

For what it's worth the design itself isn't horrible (apart from the fact that it would have taken out the East Exchange). It reminds me a bit of the Southbank district in Brisbane. But you're right, the whole area would have been demolished and only 10% of it would have actually been built.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 9:51 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It dates back to sometime around the mid to late 60s.
the plaque said 66.
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan