HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Well...if you're going to try and sell something to people, credibility is a major component of that.

If one has a history of leaving flaming wreckage in their wake, don't be surprised that one is facing an uphill battle.
Somehow I don't think his "credibility" really comes into play here with the penurious Halifax city council it only seems to matter to a select few posters whose attitudes to the CFL we already know (with a notable exception).

Was the league so desperate to get a team in Halifax that they would allow this reprehensible person to pursue team ownership? Doesn't pass the common sense test to me. I don't think the league needed or needs Halifax that much, it comes under the heading of "it would be nice..."

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
It's telling for Halifax that even with the bare-bones, small stadium the Schooners proposed, there is still no sign of support from city council, barely any from the public, and still no sign of a business plan.
There has been support from the public (polls) and city council but it has been soft support like I posted above "it would be nice" but its not yet been a pressing issue. The whole saga is who is going to pay, more so than being pro or anti stadium.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Somehow I don't think his "credibility" really comes into play here with the penurious Halifax city council it only seems to matter to a select few posters whose attitudes to the CFL we already know (with a notable exception).

Was the league so desperate to get a team in Halifax that they would allow this reprehensible person to pursue team ownership? Doesn't pass the common sense test to me. I don't think the league needed or needs Halifax that much, it comes under the heading of "it would be nice..."
I suspect if the expansion team had a credible local establishment figure backing it, there's a good chance it would have happened by now. Some heavy hitter local millionaire could have pulled some strings, called in a few favours, ponied up some of his own cash and gotten a deal done.

The fact that the backer is basically this flim flam man and some cronies riding shotgun tells you the odds of a deal are very long. Simply put, it's very easy for Halifax council to say no to a suit-wearing panhandler like Leblanc.

I'm not saying that I don't think the CFL will ever expand to Halifax, but at this point I don't expect this "ownership group" to pull anything off. I kind of suspected it would turn out this way, which is why I was surprised that Randy Ambrosie was talking it up so much... but that's another post.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Simply put, it's very easy for Halifax council to say no to a suit-wearing panhandler like Leblanc.
Then why haven't they and why would a financial guy like Ambrosie back something he thought wouldn't come to fruition? I can't see any good result to that.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:54 PM
Closed account

Quote:

I don't know.

John Spano took the NHL for a ride in the 1990s.

I don't think the CFL would make the same mistake, but more professional organizations have been bilked before.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I don't know.

John Spano took the NHL for a ride in the 1990s.

I don't think the CFL would make the same mistake, but more professional organizations have been bilked before.
With his background, Ambrosie wouldn't, especially after the infamous Spanos debacle as an example. I think this nice guy, naive image Ambrosie portrays isn't all there is to the man. He played in one of the most violent positions and he made it pretty big in the world of finance, he didn't need the CFL job. There are more things going on that we don't hear of and he plays things very close to the vest, not negotiating through the media. People were pretty quick to right the Argos off and they somehow came out of it with the best ownership group possible, I want to hold off on my doom and gloom predictions.

Lots of unproven accusations going around about LeBlanc credibility as it pertains to this team, and that is all I care about, not the Phoenix Coyotes. We also have to keep in mind how much smaller an enterprise this team is as opposed to the NHL so this group is well within the grounds of possibility.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Then why haven't they and why would a financial guy like Ambrosie back something he thought wouldn't come to fruition? I can't see any good result to that.
Why?

1. Politicians are politicians. Saying 'no' is a definitive answer, while saying nothing at all or something along those lines ("We'll examine the proposal") doesn't alienate anybody. Not a bad thing for city council.

2. Ambrosie is probably doing the same thing but as a test for support in the market. If the Schooners proposal goes nowhere, it dies quietly. If there's something there, he can endorse it and make headway.

Politics 101.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Delaying and doing nothing is basically saying no.

As for Ambrosie, I suspect he is just hoping to fan the flames a bit, hoping that the plan will find some traction. Maybe some wishful thinking mixed in there too. If a stadium gets built then that's all that really matters to the league, as even if the deal turns out to be horrible for Halifax there will still pretty well always be a CFL team playing in it.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Delaying and doing nothing is basically saying no.
I don't necessarily agree with that. Every project needs a champion to bulldoze past the inertia and get things moving and for whatever reason neither LeBlanc, the mayor or the premier are that guy. Same thing seems to exist in Calgary, whereas almost every other big city has "found a way"

I don't think the general public has the same venom for LeBlanc as some here do and frankly with or without the CFL I don't think the politicians give a rat's ass about the stadium. A guy like Jeff Hunt could go in and sell the benefits (real or imagined) and get things moving, that doesn't seem to exist here.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Trustworthy, how many owners of sports teams can you say that about? And you're right Maritimers are stupid, trusting people, definitely not the urbane, intelligent, sophisticates like they are up in Central Canada.
Way to generalize it.
I'm saying he goes someplace else and tries to find and capitalize off stupid people. Not saying that he will find any there... or if he does find some stupid people there that it means it's the whole population. Sometimes you only need to fool a few people to get the job done.. especially if they have power (ie. politicians).

The fact that Halifax council hasn't fallen all over themselves for LeBlanc leads me to believe that they did their homework and are very cautious of him. So credit to them.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The fact that Halifax council hasn't fallen all over themselves for LeBlanc leads me to believe that they did their homework and are very cautious of him. So credit to them.
Halifax hasn't fallen over themselves for any stadium project, ever. No credit to them.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Lots of unproven accusations going around about LeBlanc credibility as it pertains to this team, and that is all I care about, not the Phoenix Coyotes. We also have to keep in mind how much smaller an enterprise this team is as opposed to the NHL so this group is well within the grounds of possibility.
So you're willing to ignore his past shenanigans in a different market with a different sport/league just because this is a different city/country/league - so his history gets wiped clean? As I always say - it's always better to learn from someone else's mistake than from your own.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
So you're willing to ignore his past shenanigans in a different market with a different sport/league just because this is a different city/country/league - so his history gets wiped clean? As I always say - it's always better to learn from someone else's mistake than from your own.
I really could care less about what went on in Phoenix, don't live in the past. This is a totally different kettle of fish, all I care about is does he have the financial wherewithal to run this team. You're gonna have your agenda, we all know what it is and that's fine. My agenda is I want this team but not if it's going to be another Renegades, then I'd rather not have them at all. And both you and I know nothing about what's really going on and whether LeBlanc intentions are honourable or not.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
I really could care less about what went on in Phoenix, don't live in the past. This is a totally different kettle of fish, all I care about is does he have the financial wherewithal to run this team. You're gonna have your agenda, we all know what it is and that's fine. My agenda is I want this team but not if it's going to be another Renegades, then I'd rather not have them at all. And both you and I know nothing about what's really going on and whether LeBlanc intentions are honourable or not.
I'm really glad you're not in charge of anything that effects thousands/millions of people - as your gullibility will effect the people you were supposed to represent. Not caring about someone's previous exploits of scam-artistry is foolish when dealing with them today. You're talking like a fanboy and not someone who's thinking rationally.

LeBlanc is bad news and this dream of a team in Halifax is no further ahead with him doing the begging.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
LeBlanc is bad news and this dream of a team in Halifax is no further ahead with him doing the begging.
And you're talking like someone who has had nothing but a provable long held anti CFL agenda and ZERO proof of the above statement other than your par for the course anti CFL trolling opinion. Phoenix isn't Halifax.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
And you're talking like someone who has had nothing but a provable long held anti CFL agenda and ZERO proof of the above statement other than your par for the course anti CFL trolling opinion. Phoenix isn't Halifax.
Jesus, this has nothing to do with the CFL... take your fanboy glasses off.
You're right - Phoenix isn't Halifax... but LeBlanc is still LeBlanc.

I keep forgetting you're older than I am, because you come across as a young fanboy who just refuses to believe anything that could be bad. Either that or a cult member who refuses to believe anything bad about "dear leader". Are you wearing a MAGA hat by chance (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is of that)?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Jesus, this has nothing to do with the CFL... take your fanboy glasses off.
You're right - Phoenix isn't Halifax... but LeBlanc is still LeBlanc.

I keep forgetting you're older than I am, because you come across as a young fanboy who just refuses to believe anything that could be bad. Either that or a cult member who refuses to believe anything bad about "dear leader". Are you wearing a MAGA hat by chance (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is of that)?
Surprising seeing you trolling on your own, you usually only have the balls to come in after your buddy has laid the groundwork.

The difference between you and me is I'm willing to tell the truth and you aren't.

You could never say the phrase "I like the CFL and I want it to prosper" because that would go against EVERYTHING you have ever posted.

Your ass kissing love of all things America is nauseating but it's you so I accept it.

So I guess if LeBlanc is still the same that means you're still the same CFL troll you've always been.

See, I have no problem saying LeBlanc could be a con man, but I want proof. Not proof of some other venture, proof of what is going on now and there is none, only idle speculation. So pardon me if I respect, maybe more, another poster's negative opinion on LeBlanc who doesn't have the history of trolling that you do.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Surprising seeing you trolling on your own, you usually only have the balls to come in after your buddy has laid the groundwork.
You've mentioned my "buddy" before... and I still have no idea who you're talking about.
Please explain once and for all because I'm always confused at this.

Quote:
The difference between you and me is I'm willing to tell the truth and you aren't.

You could never say the phrase "I like the CFL and I want it to prosper" because that would go against EVERYTHING you have ever posted.
You're right, I could never say that... because I don't like the CFL and don't care if it doesn't prosper. In fact, I'm telling you now - the CFL is trending downward and will be getting worse. Don't be surprised if you see the 80's and 90's repeat itself with teams struggling big time... already seeing that in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Hamilton (despite the BS attendance figures they continue to post with at least 25% empty seats).

How's that for truth?

Quote:
Your ass kissing love of all things America is nauseating but it's you so I accept it.
Ah, you were doing so well - then you trotted out this falsehood yet again in a horrible attempt at trying to prove a point that you can't. I knock the US as much as the next guy - it's a corrupt country with horrible leaders (especially lately) and an alarmingly large amount of backwards and repugnant people. Corrupt corporate system, little heath-care, massive amounts of guns and murders and little to no culture.
But, hey - paint me as an "America lover" just because I like and follow the NFL. Yep, you've managed to whittle it down to that one specific point to make your argument. Brilliant! Hey, if I love the US so much - why am I still living in Canada?

Throw away your nationalism... it's not even about that. It's all about your childish need to have people take an interest in what you like - it's as simple as that. "Like what I like!".

Quote:
So I guess if LeBlanc is still the same that means you're still the same CFL troll you've always been.
Awesome argument. I don't know what your day job is, but I doubt you're a lawyer - because that's an argument a 5 year old would make.

Quote:
See, I have no problem saying LeBlanc could be a con man, but I want proof. Not proof of some other venture, proof of what is going on now and there is none, only idle speculation. So pardon me if I respect, maybe more, another poster's negative opinion on LeBlanc who doesn't have the history of trolling that you do.
Yea, I don't want proof that this person who murdered a few people in the past will murder today. The past is the past, I'm gonna trust this guy today because it's a new day. Have fun with that.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
because I don't like the CFL and don't care if it doesn't prosper
The truth finally comes out. Then why do you troll the CFL? Why would you want to constantly kick something that is as down as you say, instead of helping to build it back up or even letting it be. That's f'n sick. And gutless.

Last edited by elly63; Jun 19, 2019 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
The truth finally comes out. Then why do you troll the CFL? Why would you want to constantly kick something that is as down as you say, instead of helping to build it back up or even letting it be. That's f'n sick. And gutless.
Finally? I never denied it in the first place, and even stated it. Is your memory faulty? Have me confused with someone else? Are you THAT old?
Used to be a huge fan in the 70's up until the late 80s while also following the NFL, and then the distance between the two leagues kept widening.

I can bash whatever the hell I like. You don't like it - tough shit. I'll continue to stay out of the CFL thread because that would be trolling and threadcrapping - anywhere else is fair game.
I usually reserve "f'n sick and gutless" for people who do and say things that actually matter - not for when someone makes their dislike for something as trivial as a sports league.

Seriously, step away from the keyboard and go see a doctor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada